Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
SSEman

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
6l80 Transmission issues

So I have this 2015 Camaro SS. And Its been having some issues. So recently My Car had a code on it that I scanned and was for the Torque Converter not locking and I could feel it aswell when i drove it.So I took it to the dealership and the dealership got it replaced as well as the fluids and now everything is good. It shifts to all the gears normally and locks normally as it should, it basically kind of feels like a new transmission. I test drove it, but it seems the only problem is that when I stop or go at idle the transmission disengages until i start driving again then it reengages. My brother is telling me it’s probably the shator pump in the Transmission and might needa rebuild but im hoping thats not the case. So I did some research and it said something about a Smell and a whining noise and codes that will appear if that was the case but I havent got any codes, Even through the Chevrolet Advanced codes and theres no hard codes anymore since I replaced the Converter. But I heard that due to low transmission fluid that can cause that low pressure so I checked and it was overfull. So it was drained a little, I let it sit and drove it again. It seemed to improve but then started again to disengage again. Whoever had a possible solution or experienced this please lmk. Currently theres no Codes or check engine. So im not sure if its trying to get used to the new converter or what but Ive taken it back to the dealership to correct the problem since I have a warranty on it.
SSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEman View Post
So I have this 2015 Camaro SS. And Its been having some issues. So recently My Car had a code on it that I scanned and was for the Torque Converter not locking. the dealership got it replaced as well as the fluids and now everything is good. It shifts to all the gears normally, it basically kind of feels like a new transmission. I test drove it, but it seems the only problem is that when I stop or go at idle the transmission disengages until i start driving again then it reengages. My brother is telling me it’s probably the shator pump in the Transmission and might needa rebuild but im hoping thats not the case. So I did some research and it said something about a Smell and a whining noise and codes that will appear if that was the case but I havent got any codes, Even through the Chevrolet Advanced codes and theres no hard codes anymore since I replaced the Converter. But I heard that due to low transmission fluid that can cause that low pressure so I checked and it was overfull. So it was drained a little, I let it sit and drove it again. It seemed to improve but then started again to disengage again. Whoever had a possible solution or experienced this please lmk. Currently theres no Codes or check engine. So im not sure if its trying to get used to the new converter or what but Ive taken it back to the dealership to correct the problem since I have a warranty on it.
The torque converter clutch material scored the pump body and cover. The scoring causes cavitation in the pump essentially aerating the fluid. This is the number 1 failure in this transmission. If their trans guy is anyway near competent he should know this.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
SSEman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
The torque converter clutch material scored the pump body and cover. The scoring causes cavitation in the pump essentially aerating the fluid. This is the number 1 failure in this transmission. If their trans guy is anyway near competent he should know this.
Ohh Ok I see. So what do you think needs to be replaced now, Does it need a rebuild or the specific parts in the transmission such as the pump itself and cover, because your very much right, their transmission guy shouldve known that. But its back at servicing now so we will see.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #4
Koelzmod

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEman View Post
Ohh Ok I see. So what do you think needs to be replaced now, Does it need a rebuild or the specific parts in the transmission such as the pump itself and cover, because your very much right, their transmission guy shouldve known that. But its back at servicing now so we will see.
Probably needs a new pump and stator. Sometimes they machine them smooth.
Koelzmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Are you tuned? If so, do you use an aggressive tune? I lost a TC right after an aggressive tune with only about 20K miles. I switched tuners. No issues since. It threw codes and did very strange shifting. Downshifted early, upshifted late and never went into 6th gear.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:39 AM   #6
SSEman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Are you tuned? If so, do you use an aggressive tune? I lost a TC right after an aggressive tune with only about 20K miles. I switched tuners. No issues since. It threw codes and did very strange shifting. Downshifted early, upshifted late and never went into 6th gear.
At the Moment no since I just recently got the car but Update: The problem was corrected by the dealership free of charge. Turns out the issue was the the Transmission Valve body cover. But yeah no tune right now.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #7
Marvin_Rall

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro
It sounds like there may still be an issue with your car's transmission, despite the replacement of the torque converter and fluid change. The fact that the transmission is disengaging when you stop or are at idle is not normal and could be caused by a variety of factors. The suggestion that the shator pump may be the issue is a possibility, but without further diagnosis it is difficult to say for sure. I recommend taking the car back to the dealership and having them run further diagnostic tests to determine the root cause of the problem. They may also be able to provide more insight as to whether or not it is related to the recent work that was done. Additionally, I recommend checking the transmission fluid level and condition regularly, as well as keeping an eye out for any unusual smells or whining noises, as these may be indicative of a problem.

Last edited by Marvin_Rall; 01-27-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Marvin_Rall is offline   Reply With Quote