Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Roof drip molding clips

Does anyone know what adhesive to use for these clips? I’m replacing mine and they are metal clips with a white backing. There is nothing to peel to expose any adhesive. These are OEM I ordered from GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Do you have a body shop in your town maybe one on the smaller size owner operator that you could ask in person for a recommendation, i would think they would be willing to give you that info bring the part and a brief background on what your doing.
You would want to use the correct adhesive so not to have to do it over and maybe the strip come off on the highway.
I will be doing mine over winter hibernation and hope the clip/s don't break off.
Are you painting them or putting on the wrap material?
Best of luck.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:32 PM   #3
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I would use panel bond…
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Do you have a body shop in your town maybe one on the smaller size owner operator that you could ask in person for a recommendation, i would think they would be willing to give you that info bring the part and a brief background on what your doing.
You would want to use the correct adhesive so not to have to do it over and maybe the strip come off on the highway.
I will be doing mine over winter hibernation and hope the clip/s don't break off.
Are you painting them or putting on the wrap material?
Best of luck.

I have carbon fiber I will use to wrap them with. If it doesnt turn out well then I will paint them myself.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I would use panel bond…

That would be overkill I believe. Plus it takes 24 hours to dry. If I needed to replace the clips down the road it would be a nightmare to remove/clean up the left over adhesive.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I would think 3m vhb double sided tape would be sufficient for that. They do not catch much wind due to the design and placement.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Where's Billy Mays when you need him? lol.........I agree with Blue, or maybe a fast setting epoxy. 2 sided tape definitely not.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:42 AM   #8
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Where's Billy Mays when you need him? lol.........I agree with Blue, or maybe a fast setting epoxy. 2 sided tape definitely not.
Been on mine for 5 years with no problems.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Roof drip molding clips

Quote:

I agree with Camaro2ss2010 The factory clips were held in place with doublesided tape.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Maybe just a few self tappers and some duct tape would do it
Old 12-06-2022, 06:32 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Maybe just a few self tappers and some duct tape would do it

Maybe not Ha!

Old 12-07-2022, 07:33 AM   #12
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I agree with Camaro2ss2010 The factory clips were held in place with doublesided tape.

I don't say shit on here because I don't know what I'm talking about! Although many on here do............ Here is the official procedure from General Motors on replacing the clips. Blue and I were correct.

Roof Panel Molding Retainer

Procedure
Ensure that a new pre-cured roof panel molding retainer is being used and discard old retainer.
Apply 3M DURAMIX Super-Fast Adhesive 4747 or equivalent to the cured structural bonding on the new roof panel molding retainer.
The front roof panel molding retainer is placed 25 mm from the front edge of the window frame, centered side to side in the ditch channel and secured with masking tape.
Apply an overlapping drop of adhesive on the front and rear edge of the roof panel molding retainer to the ditch channel.
Allow time for sufficient bonding strength.
Minimum 15 minutes at 23°C (73°F)
Minimum 30 minutes at 10–23°C (50–73°F)
Minimum 60 minutes at 5–10°C (41–50°F)
Remove the masking tape after the bonding time has elapsed.
Please allow adhesive to fully cure prior to installing roof panel joint finish molding.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
I don't say shit on here because I don't know what I'm talking about! Although many on here do............ Here is the official procedure from General Motors on replacing the clips. Blue and I were correct.

Roof Panel Molding Retainer

Procedure
Ensure that a new pre-cured roof panel molding retainer is being used and discard old retainer.
Apply 3M DURAMIX Super-Fast Adhesive 4747 or equivalent to the cured structural bonding on the new roof panel molding retainer.
The front roof panel molding retainer is placed 25 mm from the front edge of the window frame, centered side to side in the ditch channel and secured with masking tape.
Apply an overlapping drop of adhesive on the front and rear edge of the roof panel molding retainer to the ditch channel.
Allow time for sufficient bonding strength.
Minimum 15 minutes at 23°C (73°F)
Minimum 30 minutes at 10–23°C (50–73°F)
Minimum 60 minutes at 5–10°C (41–50°F)
Remove the masking tape after the bonding time has elapsed.
Please allow adhesive to fully cure prior to installing roof panel joint finish molding.
IDK what that means exactly would you like to take a minute to explain?
It sounds like this is where some people got the confusion that white "pad" thing at the base resembles double sided tape?
My question was the 'pre cured', is this pad something like two part epoxy where some correct duramix then is the second part to this pad?
I know when I apply the 3m black "tape" on things it says it's activated not so much by the peeling off the red protective film tape but by the pressure pressing it firmly on. Is this correct in your knowledge? I just put a bumper protector on yesterday with it, and will put some side moldings on today that have it. I've used it quite a few times, and it does seem as if you just barely stick it on it's more likely to fall off than pushing hard on it.

I guess where I get this line of thinking from also, I ordered some "activator" pads (3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter, 3 Sponge Applicators)

for when using that black tape, that you pre apply. it comes in sorta an alchol wipe type package. it seems to leave something like rubber cement film on the receiving part so it sticks super firmly then !

Thanks for posting the correct procedure, I might learn something today even if I'm not doing this right now.

Last edited by silversleeper; 12-07-2022 at 08:24 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #14
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
IDK what that means exactly would you like to take a minute to explain?
It sounds like this is where some people got the confusion that white "pad" thing at the base resembles double sided tape?
My question was the 'pre cured', is this pad something like two part epoxy where some correct duramix then is the second part to this pad?
I know when I apply the 3m black "tape" on things it says it's activated not so much by the peeling off the red protective film tape but by the pressure pressing it firmly on. Is this correct in your knowledge? I just put a bumper protector on yesterday with it, and will put some side moldings on today that have it. I've used it quite a few times, and it does seem as if you just barely stick it on it's more likely to fall off than pushing hard on it.

I guess where I get this line of thinking from also, I ordered some "activator" pads (3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter, 3 Sponge Applicators)

for when using that black tape, that you pre apply. it comes in sorta an alchol wipe type package. it seems to leave something like rubber cement film on the receiving part so it sticks super firmly then !

Thanks for posting the correct procedure, I might learn something today even if I'm not doing this right now.
Don't know why they refer to it as precured. Just take it out of the bag and apply it. Duramix is a 2 part epoxy that cures fast. A equivalent fast cure epoxy should be fine as most people don't have the special gun used for duramix. The gun resembles a caulk gun but with 2 tubes that mix together in the nozzle when you pull the trigger. Adhesion promoter is definitely the ticket when using 2 sided tape!