Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
GasMasher

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Question about cammed car

I purchased a 2014 Camaro 2ss ls3 about 3 years ago that was already full bolt on and cammed. It was also dyno tuned with all receipts and paperwork included. The car currently only has around 7,000 miles on it.

The build list looks solid, except it doesn't state that the oil pump was ever upgraded. I called the shop that did the work back in 2014 and the guy assured me that anytime they do cam work on an ls motor they bore out the factory oil pump.

He also stated that there are no issues with the factory oil pump on a cammed ls3, though I have read multiple horror stories of engine failure due to a faulty pump or spring.

My question is if the pump has been bored out should I trust it? I have currently had zero issues with my oil pressure but want to be 100% safe.

Thanks for any advice 🙏
GasMasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I'd like to know how they "bored" it out...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMasher View Post
I purchased a 2014 Camaro 2ss ls3 about 3 years ago that was already full bolt on and cammed. It was also dyno tuned with all receipts and paperwork included. The car currently only has around 7,000 miles on it.

The build list looks solid, except it doesn't state that the oil pump was ever upgraded. I called the shop that did the work back in 2014 and the guy assured me that anytime they do cam work on an ls motor they bore out the factory oil pump.

He also stated that there are no issues with the factory oil pump on a cammed ls3, though I have read multiple horror stories of engine failure due to a faulty pump or spring.

My question is if the pump has been bored out should I trust it? I have currently had zero issues with my oil pressure but want to be 100% safe.

Thanks for any advice 🙏
I'm a Corvette tech for a large volume Chevrolet dealer. Since 2008 when the LS3 first came out, you know how many oil pump failures I've seen? ZERO!
Not saying there's never been a failure, but it certainly isn't as common as some people would lead you to believe. If you were to worry about and replace everything someone else has reported having a problem with, you'd have yourself a brand new Camaro! I'd leave it alone.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #4
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
I replaced my Cam 2 years ago, and all my research came from Camaro5. I upgraded all the internals: Trunion Kit, Timing Chain, Double Spring valve springs, etc. All the research I did came up with the fact that the stock oil pump on our cars is very reliable, and up for the challenge of a "Normal" build. Now if you're going to be pushing 700+ish HP.. you might want to invest in it. But if you're still in the 5-6 hundred HP range, it really isn't necessary.

However, it is your build. Since you're tore apart already, the timing is right to change it if your concerned, or feel the money is worth it. If you're looking to save some $$, maybe skip this one.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I believe it's the 2020 Camaros that have oil pump issues.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:05 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:

Thanks for any advice 🙏
So - there was a rash of "stuck regulators" on LS3 pumps at one point in that 2010-2012 era. At this point, I'm pretty confident that any of them that were going to stick the regulator already have. If an LS3 has some miles on it, and the oil pressure is good, I wouldn't have cause to not trust the pump.

Now, replacing the pump is not a bad idea when doing a cam, especially on an LS3 car, as they do start to suffer from cavitation at high RPM. Usually about 6800-7000rpm is where the pressure will plateau, and then start to creep back down. The Melling 10295 or 10296 is what we typically run in LS3 applications, and those have solid pressure at much higher RPM. The L99 pump is actually a much better pump, and does a better job at higher RPM. I typically tell folks to just leave those along when doing a cam, unless they have high miles.

I don't think there is any way to confidently know what the shop did back in 2014 - but I would simply say that if the pressure is good now, it's not a cause for concern.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
GasMasher

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Thanks for the responses guys. The term "bored" was not the right term to use. I was told they ported the pump to increase flow, not bored it.

As is the pressure has not been an issue, so I'll probably leave it be for the time. I don't put a ton of miles on the car so I will continue to monitor and upgrade to the melling if need be.

Once again thanks for the responses.
GasMasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #8
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
So - there was a rash of "stuck regulators" on LS3 pumps at one point in that 2010-2012 era. At this point, I'm pretty confident that any of them that were going to stick the regulator already have. If an LS3 has some miles on it, and the oil pressure is good, I wouldn't have cause to not trust the pump.

Now, replacing the pump is not a bad idea when doing a cam, especially on an LS3 car, as they do start to suffer from cavitation at high RPM. Usually about 6800-7000rpm is where the pressure will plateau, and then start to creep back down. The Melling 10295 or 10296 is what we typically run in LS3 applications, and those have solid pressure at much higher RPM. The L99 pump is actually a much better pump, and does a better job at higher RPM. I typically tell folks to just leave those along when doing a cam, unless they have high miles.

I don't think there is any way to confidently know what the shop did back in 2014 - but I would simply say that if the pressure is good now, it's not a cause for concern.
General Motors bulletin PIP4158H addresses the sticking valves and it applies to any LS style engine from 2006-2017. I work 10 miles from Washington DC and vehicles here do not live a easy life. I can't imagine not seeing one of these fail, but apparently they have. I guess if I had it off and it was my car I'd probably replace it with one out of the GM performance catalog.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #9
NOT A 45

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. The term "bored" was not the right term to use. I was told they ported the pump to increase flow, not bored it.

As is the pressure has not been an issue, so I'll probably leave it be for the time. I don't put a ton of miles on the car so I will continue to monitor and upgrade to the melling if need be.

Once again thanks for the responses.
Pretty sure Melling makes the GM pump. To GM specs I'm sure but I think they manufacture it for GM.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #10
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Cammed my car about 2 years ago, BTR Stage 2, with no change to the oil pump, car has ran great. No issues with the factory pump.

2019 SS 1LE - "CaSSandra" 2014 SS - "AleSSandra - Sold" 94 Z28 - Sold

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote