#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #29
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Crate engine break-in guide gives some hints about seating the rings. You want a few moderate throttle hits to 4000 rpm in the first couple hundred miles (>30 less than 250 if possible), then a few WOT hits to 4000 in the same time frame. This scrapes the asperities off the piston walls and rings before they harden. If they harden before they get scraped off, you can have ring-to-piston-wall clearance issues down the road. The "no track time" until 1500 miles thing in the manual is for the differential, and should be obeyed. If the car has been test driven at the dealer, it's probably covered!

If you buy a car new, you start at step 6. Steps 1-5 we done at the factory. Skip the oil change in step 10 and do it at 500 miles. You'll get a lot of metal in the oil, and that's good. Send a sample to blackstone for a baseline, tell 'em it's the first change.

Im following that, and a friend is an engine builder 50 plus years, limit to 4000rpm accel and decell , very speed 80 an under, 400 miles , 401 to 800 , 4500/ 5k accel / decell , 80 under MPH.
Changed oil at 650 miles and Diff, now I'm at 970 miles , and may start making pulls to 6k , I'm going to call my friend an ask before . Him and I Drag Raced for years (me 25 ) he still does.
2023 must have a different dip stick , mine has no hash marks it's about an inch of gray plastic or epoxy with xxxxxxxxx. 320 miles since changed and at same place just below top dimple
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2022, 10:44 PM   #30
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Top of X to the bottom of X is a quart.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:05 AM   #31
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
On these oil changes, I would think its appropriate to put in 9.5 qt and check level and only add more if needed or do you put in all 10 its and hope it doesn't go over?
Mine usually takes the full 10 quarts. I’ve never been low on oil but I also have way over did it on oil changes. I’m at 6k miles and have done 7 oil changes and serviced the diff and trans twice already. I know it’s probably a waste but I actually enjoy it with having a lift. Always pick a nice rainy day to still enjoy the car.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #32
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I've always read that these cars take 10 quarts of oil but for whatever reason mine takes 11? I change my own oil and allow the oil to come out of the car for a good 45 minutes to the point of where it is slowly dripping out of the pan. I also have the car up on ramps and I'm not sure if that is causing any kind of differences in how much that drains out, or doesn't drain out?

Then I fill it with 9 quarts and wait a good hour or so with the dip stick up in the air to allow draining faster, and the oil cap is off for the same reason. Check and it's just barely showing up at the very end of the dip stick. Add another quart and actually waited over night. Checked again and the dip stick showed a little bit past the beginning of the hash marks. I had to add the 11th quart before it finally shows full and I do wait a long long time. I don't build engines or anything but did thousands of oil changes when I was younger working at Lube Stop/QuickChange/Vavolvine.

Anyone elses LT4 take 11 quarts? I have noticed this on every oil change so far and it's a little concerning. The dip stick is a bit curved but to the point of an extra quart doesn't seem likely.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
When I change the oil in my ZL1 I always put 10 quarts and fill up the oil filter before screwing it on the engine. The owners manual states 10 quarts so that’s what I go by and don’t want to overfill the engine which could cause an issue.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #34
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDocKlopek View Post
I've always read that these cars take 10 quarts of oil but for whatever reason mine takes 11? I change my own oil and allow the oil to come out of the car for a good 45 minutes to the point of where it is slowly dripping out of the pan. I also have the car up on ramps and I'm not sure if that is causing any kind of differences in how much that drains out, or doesn't drain out?

Then I fill it with 9 quarts and wait a good hour or so with the dip stick up in the air to allow draining faster, and the oil cap is off for the same reason. Check and it's just barely showing up at the very end of the dip stick. Add another quart and actually waited over night. Checked again and the dip stick showed a little bit past the beginning of the hash marks. I had to add the 11th quart before it finally shows full and I do wait a long long time. I don't build engines or anything but did thousands of oil changes when I was younger working at Lube Stop/QuickChange/Vavolvine.

Anyone elses LT4 take 11 quarts? I have noticed this on every oil change so far and it's a little concerning. The dip stick is a bit curved but to the point of an extra quart doesn't seem likely.
Mine takes 10 1/2 to bring it to the full mark.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #35
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDocKlopek View Post

As long as you check the oil over night on a level surface and it's below the fill line your good. I also do like filling the filter with oil before screwing it in.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:41 PM   #36
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
11 here per the dipstick. Shows full with 10 qt sometimes at first, then I check a couple days later and its a qt low. Could be driving with a heavier foot where the oil pump varies the pressure a few times lets the oil fill more voids not sure. I change with just the front wheels on ramps so there is a drain angle.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #37
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
11 here per the dipstick. Shows full with 10 qt sometimes at first, then I check a couple days later and its a qt low. Could be driving with a heavier foot where the oil pump varies the pressure a few times lets the oil fill more voids not sure. I change with just the front wheels on ramps so there is a drain angle.
Awesome! Glad to hear I am not alone in this 11qt weirdness when everyone else keeps saying 10qt.