Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
So, they've track tested both of the car models that you own.... and then recommend what oil proved out to work best on the track in those cars... and that's just plain dumb?

Daily driver street and race track are completely different environments. There is no such thing as an oil perfect for both.
+1
This has been discussed in these forums Ad nauseam.(Search my screen name for all Oil Discussion Links)

The Mobil 1 15w-50 has a higher Zinc level which affects the emissions systems' performance.

Some Mobil 1 Racing Oils have little to no detergents, but great lubricity and friction protection, (Added Detergents help insure long range oil contaminate breakdown). Thus the necessity of changing the Racing Oil right after Track Day and revert back to non-racing 10W-40 for Street Use.

Motor Oils changes are CHEAP INSURANCE. I've never waited until the factory recommended change intervals and always change at early internals or after hard running events(i.e. race/dyno runs etc).
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #16
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
To clarify, my point, and continued confusion, is GM's recommendation for TRACK oil for the ZL1 and the recommendation for TRACK oil for the ZL1 1LE are different. And in fact, for the 1LE state outright not to use what was listed as acceptable for the ZL1 (0w-40). The engines are identical. Seems odd.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
+1
This has been discussed in these forums Ad nauseam.(Search my screen name for all Oil Discussion Links)

The Mobil 1 15w-50 has a higher Zinc level which affects the emissions systems' performance.

Some Mobil 1 Racing Oils have little to no detergents, but great lubricity and friction protection, (Added Detergents help insure long range oil contaminate breakdown). Thus the necessity of changing the Racing Oil right after Track Day and revert back to non-racing 10W-40 for Street Use.

Motor Oils changes are CHEAP INSURANCE. I've never waited until the factory recommended change intervals and always change at early internals or after hard running events(i.e. race/dyno runs etc).

I'm glad you got to this before me.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
To clarify, my point, and continued confusion, is GM's recommendation for TRACK oil for the ZL1 and the recommendation for TRACK oil for the ZL1 1LE are different. And in fact, for the 1LE state outright not to use what was listed as acceptable for the ZL1 (0w-40). The engines are identical. Seems odd.
In cases as such, I would think you could always go to the higher protection value without worries, but not the other way. But make sure you change out the race oil right after the event and return to the specified oil w/ detergent.

I have never seen a Dealer "ding' someone when they 'added' or increase protection.

What I believe GM was trying to prevent in the standard ZL1 owner's manual was ANY damage to the Emissions systems vs engine protection.

Periodic or Infrequent use of Race oil will not damage the car's emissions system.

Remember, an owner's manual has one intent; TO AVOID PAYING WARRANTY CLAIMS.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #19
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
I am going to a track day that is 200 miles away. I plan to drive my ZL1 1LE to the track day as I have always done in the past with my old ZL1. Will it be ok to drive the ZL1 1LE to the track day with the Mobil 1 15W50 in it? Do the track day, then drive home, and then change the oil back to the daily recommended oil?
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
ronzer

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
I am going to a track day that is 200 miles away. I plan to drive my ZL1 1LE to the track day as I have always done in the past with my old ZL1. Will it be ok to drive the ZL1 1LE to the track day with the Mobil 1 15W50 in it? Do the track day, then drive home, and then change the oil back to the daily recommended oil?
The issue with 15W50 is its high viscosity when not up to operating temp which is hard on engines. That means don't use it in cold climates and take it easy after starting a cold car to allow the car to get up to temp. You should be fine.
ronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #21
HMFDUCK

Drives: 2013 SS/RS/1LE
RONZER, I also have an 18 ZL1-1LE. I run in SCCA and a DD. I also hit the longer Tracks when I can. H.P.R. in Colorado is a killer Track.
The Alignments that i use are from the GM Performance Brochure, at least for the front. The rear i found that a 2* Camber and a full 1* Toe-in is pretty darn close. I also run a set of MP4S, in stock sizes. This year Ill be stepping up to the new RT660, 315/30/18. Apex SM-10 will be the new wheels too. I presently run with the N.W.O.R. SCCA, CAM C Toledo area.
HMFDUCK
HMFDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #22
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
The ZL1 and 1LE have significantly different g limits because of the aero. This affects how different oils flow and lubricate at different points of the performance envelope.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:02 PM   #23
Apexslayer

If you are doing traditional track days, the OEM pads are perfect.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #24
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Nice.

Still strange to me about the different oil recommendations than standard ZL1.
Doesn't seem odd to me, the G-forces generated at the track will be different than the ones in everyday driving (if you're a lawful citizen). I figure they need something a little thicker for track use.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #25
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
The ZL1 and 1LE have significantly different g limits because of the aero. This affects how different oils flow and lubricate at different points of the performance envelope.
Even though this is a nearly 5 year old thread.....

The main contributor to the extra Gs are the tires. Wider on the front for more corner grip and rear for more corner grip and traction (of course). But the the compound of tire affects the G force too. The 3 vs the 3R.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #26
Apexslayer

5yrs - lol - good point - I just noticed that