Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Brake & Accelerator Pedals Feel

I have recently rented a Challenger RT (5.7 V8) for a while before purchasing my new SS convertible, and I noticed for some reason that the Challenger had a better brake pedal “bite” point as compared to my SS. I remember with the RT, I had to stop a number of times real quick and a little bit of pressure on the brake pedal would get me to a full stop pretty quick. With my SS, I felt like I had to apply a lot more pressure on the brake pedal to get the car to stop. So I was wondering is this normal? I believe I have the four piston brakes but I am not sure. The same thing goes as well for the gas pedal, although the RT had only 375HP and 410Ib of torque compared to the SS, I felt the gas pedal to be more responsive than the one in the SS. Let me know if you guys felt the same thing when switching from one of the other American muscle/sports car to the Camaro. Thanks!
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Challengers are drag race machines, good luck running them on road track. Correct me if im wrong but Camaro brakes should have a longer motion of travel for better braking control on road track.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
I had a 2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody with the stock, 6 piston, Brembo mono-block calipers and now have a 2021 ZL1, which I believe has the same brakes. The Challenger did have more initial grab than the ZL1, but that's primarily a function of the pad material. I'm positive that the ZL1 will stop shorter than the Challenger. There's no getting around that 600-700 pound weight difference.

If you want more initial bite out of your ZL1 brakes, then get some softer/racing pads. If it's a full-race pad and you're driving on the street, make sure you warm it up for a minute before you haul ass out of your driveway. Just drag the brakes for a few seconds before you go for it.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
Believe it or not, different cars have different feels
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Both cars have good brakes and while I agree the 5.7L and 6.4L Challengers had that bigger bite feel I didn't find the Camaro brakes bad at all. Also the 5.7L Challenger is much much slower than my 6.2L Camaro it can't overcome the weight deficit that car has that and its output ratings are the lowest for a V8 in the class.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Some manufacturers tend to boost the brake pedal, which just requires less pedal pressure. In a sporty car I prefer the way GM does it in the Camaro and Corvettes, where you get to determine the braking force based on actual pedal pressure. As mentioned above you have more control this way. Test it out by getting some speed and then really get into the brake pedal and your eyeballs should feel like they are going to pop out of your head.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Some manufacturers tend to boost the brake pedal, which just requires less pedal pressure. In a sporty car I prefer the way GM does it in the Camaro and Corvettes, where you get to determine the braking force based on actual pedal pressure. As mentioned above you have more control this way. Test it out by getting some speed and then really get into the brake pedal and your eyeballs should feel like they are going to pop out of your head.
This.
Definitely better in my opinion to have more brake pedal travel to "max stop" as this allows you to better modulate the amount of braking force and makes trail braking easier as well as better control in emergency braking maneuvers.

With respect to the throttle, it's likely that the Dodge simply has a more aggressive throttle mapping so as it make you think the car has more torque than it really does (you push 10% it gives you 25% of available power). Apparently this is a marketing ploy and is done on many vehicles.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
This.
Definitely better in my opinion to have more brake pedal travel to "max stop" as this allows you to better modulate the amount of braking force and makes trail braking easier as well as better control in emergency braking maneuvers.

With respect to the throttle, it's likely that the Dodge simply has a more aggressive throttle mapping so as it make you think the car has more torque than it really does (you push 10% it gives you 25% of available power). Apparently this is a marketing ploy and is done on many vehicles.
Yep, you see this pretty often in the Hellcat driving reviews. With the Dodge throttle mapping you just tap the throttle and you get 75% or more of throttle, whereas the Camaro has a more linear response and you have to get deep into the accelerator to experience WOT. You get used to it and it offers better control.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
This.

This must be it, because the idea of the Challenger RT being that responsive as compared to the SS was something I couldn’t understand especially since the RT is a heavy car with just a 5.7 V8 in it.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
The Camaro has a plastic mode selector rocker switch behind the shifter and traction control button. I believe that the throttle map is most agressive in Sport. You can also use the infotainment screen (Settings | Driving Mode) to separately adjust steering, exhaust (if equipped), and magride shocks (if equipped) to a setting other than Sport if you prefer while keeping the Sport throttle map.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
Both cars have good brakes and while I agree the 5.7L and 6.4L Challengers had that bigger bite feel I didn't find the Camaro brakes bad at all. Also the 5.7L Challenger is much much slower than my 6.2L Camaro it can't overcome the weight deficit that car has that and its output ratings are the lowest for a V8 in the class.

It's also slower than my 4100lb convertible. They weigh about the same and I beat a 5.7 Challenger badly.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
My current car has way more linear braking than my former SS. And I will bet money it stops short of it also. Now my SS did not have the 6ers as an option like my current ride nor the extra few inches of girth.

Like was stated the ZL1 with more equal specs will stop short of mine but I will bet the linear actuation is comparable.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
It's also slower than my 4100lb convertible. They weigh about the same and I beat a 5.7 Challenger badly.

I forgot the Convertible has more weight. My Camaro is 3600 pounds.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote