Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
L6611983

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Double Din kit

Would this android screen fit outside this kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283901738462
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14403676409...ke%3AChevrolet
L6611983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I don't think that would fit right in our cars. Most of the dash kits for the Camaro has the head unit sit a little deep (recessed) into the dash kit (ie. Scosche, Metra, PAC, Maestro...). The height may get close to blocking your center vents, if it even clears the dash kit. Overall, I think it may be a bad fit for the aesthetic of our interiors. If you want to go this route you really need to look for something with some adjustability in mounting depth and vertical position.

There are a TON of universal Android head units that would work in our car. I am guessing you are going for the 'Tesla Screen' look, but have you considered a 10 inch display in the letterbox shape if you have to have a big screen?

I have this ATOTO A6 10 inch in my Escalade and have already test fit it into my Camaro, as I have a 2nd one I plan to install soon. It is height adjustable but more importantly, it is adjustable by depth - how far from the surface of the actual dash it sits (You don't want a screen floating 3 or more inches in front of your dash like your living room wall). It is the 10 inch version, where the screen is seperate from the main body of the head unit. In the Camaro I was able to position it so I could get it as flush to the dash as possible while it didn't block my Scosche dash kit's climate control display and also clears the vents. It didn't look ridiculous in the car as some other units might, especially vertical screens. But I know most of the people in here would prefer the look of a nice clean 7 inch display, tucked away and discreet.

The main problem you are going to have with a vertical screen in the car is how our cars require a CanBus dash kit to replace the climate controls and car settings. A vertical screen is going to block the climate controls, or worse, not even fit properly, looking like you just stuck a giant screen in the middle of a rather simplistic dash design. Our dashes are very minimalistic...if you get what I am saying. It has that old school muscle car look from the 60's-70's, so something like a Tesla Screen is just going to look slapped on, rather than integrated cleanly into the design. I hope I am making sense here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 08-24-2021 at 12:46 AM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #3
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Trust me, you don’t want those cheap ass Android radios. Never seen one ever work the way they said it will. They are junk
Old 08-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
InFiD3ViL

I have had several in different cars and most worked great. The ones that didn't were when they first started coming out a few years back and were buggy. The biggest POS stereo I had recently was a Kenwood Excelon.

These days you can get a name brand iDatalink head unit that will do most or all of what these will. But if you are spending only $100 on an Android head unit, yes - it will likely be underpowered garbage.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 08-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
Trust me, you don’t want those cheap ass Android radios. Never seen one ever work the way they said it will. They are junk
Yep.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
L6611983

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What double din dash kit do you recommend that will retain steering wheel buttons and on-star? even though the cheap android 10 units don't work fully i'm only looking for it to mirror my phone and play youtube videos and google maps
L6611983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
Frankieboy

Drives: 2011 synergy camaro lt
I have the pioneer avh-4200. It’s a good system has inputs for the idatalink and metra kits. Apple car play is not wireless tho. Mounted in this piece of shit scosche touch screen kit!!! Stay away from the scosche, I’ve had nothing but problems. Ending up smashing it off the driveway cement. I’m starting to get used to the stock radio. But I do like the pioneer. Got it used on eBay for 150 bucks. But there’s tons of info on kits on this site. This is a great place for info and a lot of people willing to help!!!
Attached Images

Frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieboy View Post
I have the pioneer avh-4200. It’s a good system has inputs for the idatalink and metra kits. Apple car play is not wireless tho. Mounted in this piece of shit scosche touch screen kit!!! Stay away from the scosche, I’ve had nothing but problems. Ending up smashing it off the driveway cement. I’m starting to get used to the stock radio. But I do like the pioneer. Got it used on eBay for 150 bucks. But there’s tons of info on kits on this site. This is a great place for info and a lot of people willing to help!!!
Yeah man, the Schoche is hot garbage. I have had issues with mine and really don't like it. It's pretty damned ugly too and blocks half of my 4 pack gauges. You have the better looking updated version with 2 screens. Mine is the older version with the single screen and physical buttons for some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L6611983 View Post
What double din dash kit do you recommend that will retain steering wheel buttons and on-star? even though the cheap android 10 units don't work fully i'm only looking for it to mirror my phone and play youtube videos and google maps
With my Atoto 10 inch, I am running the PAC RP5-GM11, but that's in my Escalade. Not sure if that model would work in our cars. Steering wheel controls and OnStar work flawlessly.

As for those saying the Android head units don't work fully, I have no idea what they are talking about since they gave no examples. The ones I had had can do every single thing they are supposed to do, more than any stereo aside from the iDatalink head units. I run Torque app on mine with pages of gauges, YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, GPS (Waze/Maps), screen mirroring, etc...If an Android tablet can do it, so can these. But you really need to stay away from the cheaper ones, as the processors are underpowered.

I like the Android units for what they are. They can do a ton, but are hampered by underpowered CPUs and not enough RAM. I usually flash mine with custom ROMs, so that is likely why I have better experiences with them.

My next upgrade will almost certainly be an iDatalink system with a Maestro dash kit, as I plan to get away from the Android systems. I will go with either a Pioneer or JVC. Although SONY is releasing a 10 inch model with a seperate screen soon, but it's going to be north of $1000.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
do the digital octopus and be done with it
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #10
Ponchonutty

I like my setup. Only issue is the radio is a little laggy but for the price point I can overlook it. https://youtube.com/shorts/fTRT6KV-ghQ?feature=share
Old 08-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
Frankieboy

Drives: 2011 synergy camaro lt
So is that the i datalink? That’s pretty cool. I was reading about that. Looks great!!!
Frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:32 AM   #12
Ponchonutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieboy View Post
So is that the i datalink? That’s pretty cool. I was reading about that. Looks great!!!
Yes. Best part is that it’s 100% customizable too. Plus you get to pick ANY brand of radio that’s Maestro ready too
Old 09-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
Yes. Best part is that it’s 100% customizable too. Plus you get to pick ANY brand of radio that’s Maestro ready too
That looks awesome. I love that dash kit too. Best part, your car sounds like a beast in that video!

Wait a sec....did you just run a 12.79 on the street? lol...man, I need a convertor.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #14
Ponchonutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That looks awesome. I love that dash kit too. Best part, your car sounds like a beast in that video!

Wait a sec....did you just run a 12.79 on the street? lol...man, I need a convertor.

That was with 90% humidity and low 90 temps along bad tune. Well the tune was ok but there was an issue with my stock file pertaining to adaptive idle. It’s a little quicker than that now. Thing is a freaking beast now. So much more fun to drive. Funny it’s mainly my wife’s and I was freaking out a bit that she wouldn’t like the cam and such. First drive with her and we had multiple people make a comment how awesome it sounds solidified her satisfaction 😝. Running with no mufflers or resonators can be a little loud at times 😆