#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Reading tire wear - Looking for input!

Hello all,

Corded my first set of Hoosier A7's last weekend and I'm looking for feedback on needed adjustments to try to even out tire wear. These were purchased as 90% life scrubs (1-5 heart cycles) and I added 17 heat cycles to that. (I did not flip them on the rim, but did switch what side of the car they were on half way through those cycles.) The outside edge is done but There is plenty of life left across the rest of the tire. Current alignment is at factory track alignment settings. Tires were run at 32psi Hot, rear sway bar is in the middle setting. I've had a couple suggestions to run them at -3 camber on the front. some have told me to go further than that. It's also been suggested to run the tires at 33-34psi hot. Let me know your experience and opinions! Still learning a lot about this stuff! Thanks!
car is a stock 2018 ZL1 1LE
Attached Images

Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
alignment setting? (factory has a fair range....). Without knowing that - i would say go to -3.5camber that should help.
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
max out front camber put the rear at about 2 or so
Old 06-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'd agree with the above stating to get more camber as well as trying a higher hot pressure. That'll help keep the tire from flopping over as much when supporting the weight of the car at max lat. Flipping the tires on the rims can also help lengthen the life of the tire, but the previous changes would do better at reducing the excessive shoulder wear to start with.

Another thing that might help is ensure you're not over-driving them before they're warm if you're not doing that already. The first 0.5-1 laps of each heat cycle should be slower, i.e. 70-80% speed capability, to warm them up before pushing hard to avoid shredding them too quickly.

Side question, any reason for the A7s instead of R7? And what kind of events are you using them for?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
Sorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I'd agree with the above stating to get more camber as well as trying a higher hot pressure. That'll help keep the tire from flopping over as much when supporting the weight of the car at max lat. Flipping the tires on the rims can also help lengthen the life of the tire, but the previous changes would do better at reducing the excessive shoulder wear to start with.

Another thing that might help is ensure you're not over-driving them before they're warm if you're not doing that already. The first 0.5-1 laps of each heat cycle should be slower, i.e. 70-80% speed capability, to warm them up before pushing hard to avoid shredding them too quickly.

Side question, any reason for the A7s instead of R7? And what kind of events are you using them for?
I definitely give them time to warm up. usually more that 1 lap. More camber and higher pressures (34psi) were my next go to adjustments. Sounds like I'm on the right path based on responses so far. And I went with A7's because that is what was available where I get the scrubs from. They were also recommended to me by the previous owner who had the car pretty figured out and ran in in SCCA time trials. I'm using it for HPDE events myself. Thanks for the input
Old 06-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
Sorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
alignment setting? (factory has a fair range....). Without knowing that - i would say go to -3.5camber that should help.
I can't find my sheet from the latest alignment check. But camber was spot on to the factory track spec setting(-2.7/-2)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorange View Post
I definitely give them time to warm up. usually more that 1 lap. More camber and higher pressures (34psi) were my next go to adjustments. Sounds like I'm on the right path based on responses so far. And I went with A7's because that is what was available where I get the scrubs from. They were also recommended to me by the previous owner who had the car pretty figured out and ran in in SCCA time trials. I'm using it for HPDE events myself. Thanks for the input
Cool, yeah sounds like you're going about it correctly then.

For HPDE though an R7 or other slick designed to handle sustained heat might be a bit better suited. The A7 is great for time trials because it gets up to temp and makes grip quickly (generally less than 1 lap), but the downside is it'll start to fall off and overheat if you're pushing hard for a full 20-minute session. This is especially true considering that the ZL1 1LE is a bit on the heavy side. The R7 would probably be better at handling the sustained 20 mins or hard lapping but would need a few laps to warm up, although it sounds like you're already doing that so no change needed there if you can find them to try out sometime.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Sorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Cool, yeah sounds like you're going about it correctly then.

For HPDE though an R7 or other slick designed to handle sustained heat might be a bit better suited. The A7 is great for time trials because it gets up to temp and makes grip quickly (generally less than 1 lap), but the downside is it'll start to fall off and overheat if you're pushing hard for a full 20-minute session. This is especially true considering that the ZL1 1LE is a bit on the heavy side. The R7 would probably be better at handling the sustained 20 mins or hard lapping but would need a few laps to warm up, although it sounds like you're already doing that so no change needed there if you can find them to try out sometime.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if my tire provider can keep an eye out for them in the future.