Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Losing MPG with CAI?

OK, so I am no mechanic. I have never had a true muscle car and therefore have never moded. I am functional with a wrench in my hand but let me repeat......I am no mechanic.

So I installed a Cold Air Incuctions CAI in my LS3 Vert. I am very proud of myself and really didn't have too much trouble with it. It took me about an hour. It looks great, sounds better at idel, and has a wonderful new sound under WOT.

My question is this.....As I watch my Avg MPG meter, it seems that I now may be getting worse MPG's. Is that possible? Especially when I get on it. When I give it a lot of gas, it seems to suck much more gas now then it did before. Is this possible?

I haven't done any scientific test to try to prove this, only watching the meter and comparing it to what it did prior. Is there any way that I F'd something up or something isn't sealed properly? Or is it all in my head and I need to just chill out for a second?

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I did not not see any change in mileage after installing my CAI. INC CAI. How long have you had it installed? The PCM might need a little time to settle down to the added air. How much of a drop are you seeing?

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You MPG will go down if you floor it all the time.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
So you're watching your gas mileage while you're flooring it? You're joking right? The ONLY way to tell if you're getting different gas mileage is to datalog over a few tank fulls. The DIS will give you a idea of your average but watching your mileage while you floor it is worthess.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I didn't see any change in mpg with any of the three cai I've ran. Not likely you messed anything up as you would probably set a CEL. You are playing with the throttle too much to gauge any average mgp differences...and yes just chill it will be fine.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
bottjeremy

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE - Born July 2020
By adding a CAI, you are most likely creating more horsepower. By adding more horsepower, you are most likely consuming more gasoline. You will see a reduction in MPG when driving fast since you now consume more gas under WOT. And since you like the new sound of your CAI, you probably are nailing it a bit more than you had been previously, so your loss in MPG might be noticable.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
This winter I thought I was getting worse mileage with my CAI, which I had installed late fall. So I switched back to the stock airbox and noticed NO improvement. The loss in mileage was due to the engine running cold/winter gas blend, not the CAI. I lost about 2-3 MPG.

There should be no noticeable difference in MPG. You may just be driving more aggressively due to the improved WOT sound. I know it's hard to resist
Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
talon6900
GRRREEN

Drives: '14 Denali HD & '11 Camaro
I lost a bit too, but it was 100% my doing... Enjoying the sound makes you want to press the skinny pedal farther to the floor more often. Once I regained self control, I found that my mileage came back to normal.
ZR1 Max Clutch/BMR Stage 3/DSS 1000HP Axles/1LE 3.91's
Carbon Flash Metallic GFX & Stripes, Black TSW Donington 20's
DashTronix Radar Projector for Valentine1
talon6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
My fuel economy had improved with my Intake.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
What I've seen from reading C5 is if you drive in exactly the same way (not probable with your new CAI!) your intake should actually increase your mpg by 1 or 2 because your car can breathe better.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
You MPG will go down if you floor it all the time.
I think you are being sarcastic, but in case your not......I was comparing "getting on it" without CAI to "getting on it" with CAI. I realize that my MPG's will go down when my foot is on the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
So you're watching your gas mileage while you're flooring it? You're joking right? The ONLY way to tell if you're getting different gas mileage is to datalog over a few tank fulls. The DIS will give you a idea of your average but watching your mileage while you floor it is worthess.
I keep my DIC on MPG's.....I dont know where else to keep it. I really don't need another speedometer, as i already have 2. I have been resetting it every 500 miles or so to see if I notice any change as the engine breaks in. As such, I feel that I have a pretty good feel of how my MPG's are effected by city/highway, coasting, gunning it, etc. I can be a bit OCD. Like I said, nothing scientific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottjeremy View Post
By adding a CAI, you are most likely creating more horsepower. By adding more horsepower, you are most likely consuming more gasoline. You will see a reduction in MPG when driving fast since you now consume more gas under WOT. And since you like the new sound of your CAI, you probably are nailing it a bit more than you had been previously, so your loss in MPG might be noticable.
This makes sence to me and what I was thinking. More/colder air --> More gas --> More HP --> More fun. I'm going with this....

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:43 AM   #12
4.0=SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM/Blk, Borla
I have a Borla cat-back is a cai going to change the exhaust note? I paid good money for the sound ;-)
4.0=SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #13
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Did you install your maf sensor in the right direction?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0=SS View Post
I have a Borla cat-back is a cai going to change the exhaust note? I paid good money for the sound ;-)
No
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote