Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Sturgill_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Need help with nitrous kits

While saving up for the d1x procharger kit, I have decided to save a few $$$ and go the nitrous route instead. I know nothing about what nitrous systems to buy etc.. I am wanting something direct port and adjustable if that even exists.. 50-200 shot? What kits do you guys recommend? Fuel system?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Direct port systems are complicated and expensive. You'd also be tearing up that nice LOD X1 to make it happen. I would grab a NX Camaro plate kit. We have them listed on our site and they can range from 50-150 hp. With your mods those numbers will play up as well. I would look into upgrading your fuel pump to some degree. We have some decent in tank pumps as well as some auxiliary pumps that won't break the bank.

Also, if you're saving up for a Procharger have you looked into the ECS supercharger kits? They make a ton of power, are over engineered and a lot of the stuff that is optional on the Procharger kit is standard on the ECS kit. You might be able to get supercharged sooner then you think.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Nitrous will cost you more in the long run. Cheap to start with but once you factor in all the spark plugs you will run through. If you have no experience my biggest advice is keep saving for that D1X. If you are dead set on it I high advise you to do some homework on it and consult with whom ever is doing the install and tuning.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I read a nitrous thread on here recently. One guy posted all his mods for his nitrous... he had more $ into it than i have for my whipple.. by a lot.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 01-28-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Sturgill_SS

I'm going nitrous. I just cant find myself spending all that money on a car I hardly drive. I only want the power when I need it. With nitrous, I can also afford to finish the basement on my new place so its a win win!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
If you want longevity, stay with 50-75 shots, so you're not burning up plugs all the time.
You can go as simple as a DRY kit. Wet kits require additional fuel; a hook up to the nozzle
too. Universal DRY kits are 35, 50, 75,100, 150 shot. Most of these you can drill a hole in
your intake hose and pipe it in. Crude, but simple, and the least expensive.

Wet Nitrous Kits
Fuel mixes with nitrous stream at nozzle
Better for higher power applications
Easier to tune
Can result in nitrous backfire

Dry Nitrous Kits
No fuel mixes in at nozzle, only nitrous
Fuel is mixed in with fuel injectors
More difficult to tune
Requires more parts to work in unison - more risk for error

Wet-vs-Dry:
https://youtu.be/ZOXhWbzTHTI
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgill_SS View Post
While saving up for the d1x procharger kit, I have decided to save a few $$$ and go the nitrous route instead. I know nothing about what nitrous systems to buy etc.. I am wanting something direct port and adjustable if that even exists.. 50-200 shot? What kits do you guys recommend? Fuel system?
Adjustability comes by changing jet sizes, having a progressive system or a 2 or 3 stage. Direct port is going to cost a lot. Then you adjust by changing the fuel and N2O jets for each port. Benefit is you can adjust for each cylinder. Con is you have a lot of jets to play with to get each cylinder optimized and the hole for jets are small and could become plugged. Plate and "shark" nozzle are easier. But, since the path through the intake is different for each cylinder, you'll have a slight variance between cylinders. Since you want to do a procharger later, probably upgrade the fuel system and injectors and get a nitrous tune. Thus the bigger injectors will provide the fuel. Instead of stand alone N2O system with a dedicated fuel supply and timing retarder that activates at a certain rpm and tps position. Just stating some basics. I would stay under a 150 shot. Suggest doing a few searches and reading to decide which route and wet or dry system. You may want to go with a bare minimum system without many or any safeguards or an all out system for $3-4000. I installed everything myself, so not sure how much for labor. After looking at the price, you may just want to save for the procharger.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If you are doing it to save money it sounds like a dry plate system is the way you will want to go, less safe, less money. The other guys here have more knowledge than me about it though. It really isn't cheap when you are doing a full system the "right" way.
Alternative if you want to save money and get an extra 150HP pretty easily and be safe, look into an LSA supercharger. You can find them used for around $2k. Can run those with as little as adding a BAP. If you do your own work it will be not much more than nitrous. They only give you as much power as your foot gives the pedal!
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
Sturgill_SS

Tuner is also saying to go plate system. Looks like the better way to go
Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #10
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Not quite sure why he would have to spend thousands to run a relatively smalle shot, less than 150. You can buy a wet kit for less than a grand and you are almost up and running. I played around with nitrous before I started using forced induction. Nitrous is a much cheaper option unless going high with the jets
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
gunchamp

That being said I would still save for a supercharger. So much better at everything and the awesome factor is huge, as well as the ear to ear grins
Old 01-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Not quite sure why he would have to spend thousands to run a relatively smalle shot, less than 150. You can buy a wet kit for less than a grand and you are almost up and running. I played around with nitrous before I started using forced induction. Nitrous is a much cheaper option unless going high with the jets
Because of being basically stock, which means hypereutectic pistons and tight rings. Since N2O is an oxidizer, the burn rate is much faster and violent. Also, try hooking up with the stock suspension applying a 150+ shot hitting at 3500 rpm. Using a cheap kit basically throws down all the power immediately. A progressive or staged system will allow it to build. Besides, at a 100 shot, the factory fuel system drops pressure and does not recover well. Horsepower is horsepower, but N2O is a different beast.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Because of being basically stock, which means hypereutectic pistons and tight rings. Since N2O is an oxidizer, the burn rate is much faster and violent. Also, try hooking up with the stock suspension applying a 150+ shot hitting at 3500 rpm. Using a cheap kit basically throws down all the power immediately. A progressive or staged system will allow it to build. Besides, at a 100 shot, the factory fuel system drops pressure and does not recover well. Horsepower is horsepower, but N2O is a different beast.
I ran a 150 shot in a 94 LT1 camaro for many, many miles. 150 has always been thought as the maximum safe level for a stock motor. Obviously anything can happen, but I wouldnt hesitate to throw 150 through one of these motors. Know many who are doin it
Old 01-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
I ran a 150 shot in a 94 LT1 camaro for many, many miles. 150 has always been thought as the maximum safe level for a stock motor. Obviously anything can happen, but I wouldnt hesitate to throw 150 through one of these motors. Know many who are doin it
Yeah, I know people running 150. Just letting the OP know that there are limits without supporting equipment when increasing the pills. Which will run up the cost.