Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Texamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, 2004 Silverado 2500
L99/SS Engine ticking, clanging noise? Lifters, evap, exhaust?.

2011 SS Camaro 6.2 L99.
Car has been running perfectly but I was getting some noise from driveshaft support bearing. I jacked it up and replaced it and problem solved. However I noticed on my first time driving after what sounded like an engine ticking noise. I brought it back home and thought perhaps exhaust leak since I had to drop the exhaust when working on the driveshaft. I have a magnaflow exhaust on stock exhaust manifolds so I only had to take it off the hangers and remove 4 nuts to slide of the connecting collars. I made sure everything was tight but no difference. I tried to trace the noise and it sounds like it is from the engine bay close to front of engine (possibly passenger side/front). I removed serpentine and ac belts and ran the car for 30 seconds to see it it could be a pulley but the noise was identical. Replaced belts and after doing some research saw that lifter issues are a common issue and can get stuck or frozen. I removed passenger side valve cover and all rocker arms were moving properly. No excessive space or noise on lifters that I could tell so I put the cover back on. I also read that evap solenoid issues could cause ticking. I have had 1 code for a couple days p0455 evap code (but have driven some miles on it without any noise) so I decided to resolve that and possibly it would fix the ticking. Replaced my evap purge valve/solenoid in the engine bay and cleared the code which doesn't appear to be returning after several minutes of running but the ticking is still there.
I'm at a loss and have tried everything I can think of.

Here's a link to a video my friend took last night. I started it and revved to maybe 2k in the video.
https://youtu.be/NEgFU979vGM
Texamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Wow. That doesn't sound good at all.

I haven't heard anything like that before. No misfire codes? I would pull the covers again and get a good look at every spring for possible crack. It is almost a scraping kind of sound.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Texamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Wow. That doesn't sound good at all.

I haven't heard anything like that before. No misfire codes? I would pull the covers again and get a good look at every spring for possible crack. It is almost a scraping kind of sound.
No misfire codes. The only code was the evap code I listed above. I have a friend of a friend that is a mechanic at local Chevrolet dealership and he said he will look if I can't figure it out in a few days.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamaro View Post
No misfire codes. The only code was the evap code I listed above. I have a friend of a friend that is a mechanic at local Chevrolet dealership and he said he will look if I can't figure it out in a few days.
I would not run it until then, or at least at a minimum. Because if it is internal, the more you run it the worse it's going to get. I know it's hard because you want to locate the issue, but I would hate for this to go catastrophic.

Please update the thread when you get more information. Good luck man. I know this car be very stressful.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 12-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Texamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I would not run it until then, or at least at a minimum. Because if it is internal, the more you run it the worse it's going to get. I know it's hard because you want to locate the issue, but I would hate for this to go catastrophic.

Please update the thread when you get more information. Good luck man. I know this car be very stressful.
That makes sense to not start or and run it anymore at this point and is the route I'm going to go for this point in time. It may be a few days before the mechanic can come take a look but I'll post updates here. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
What does the oil look like? Any metal?

Could be a broken valve spring.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 12-07-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
Texamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
What does the oil look like? Any metal?

Could be a broken valve spring.
I haven't changed the oil since the noise started, but couldn't see any metal or bad discoloration on the stick, or when I took off the valve cover. Perhaps good idea to drain and change oil and see what happens.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #8
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamaro View Post
I haven't changed the oil since the noise started, but couldn't see any metal or bad discoloration on the stick, or when I took off the valve cover. Perhaps good idea to drain and change oil and see what happens.
I would start with draining the oil. Cut the filter and look for metal. Sorry, I missed where you said in your original post that you took the valve cover off, may want to do the same on the opposite side. You stated everything was moving properly? Did you run the engine when you checked? With the engine off did you check each rocker and spring by hand? Could be a couple different things or a combination of things. Shitty situation.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #9
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I'd pull the plugs for a quick look.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Might be lifter bouncing around? I would pull the valve covers also. See if you have a bent push rod or your rocker trunions gave out letting up on the pressure applied to the lifter. The OEM rockers are a known weak point.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

I am hoping that someone that has heard a sound like this will be able to point you in the right direction. It doesn't sound like what I am used to hearing from a bad lifter, but that really means nothing as no failure is identical.

Its a strange sound. It sounds like a scraping sound but if you turn up the volume with headphones it also sounds like an airflow 'chuffing' sound, for lack of better words. It may just be my imagination, but the engine doesn't sound healthy when it was revved. Like it was missing.

Texamaro, is your AFM still enabled or was it tuned out? Not that it really matters if a lifter or AFM lifter failed, but just trying to get a better idea of the state of the engine before the issue occurred.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Have heard that sound before (or one very similar) .. it turned out to be a bad lifter. Regardless, I would definitely not be running it again until it can be fully checked out; I especially would not be revving the engine at this point as you are very likely to cause even more damage then already has been.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Sounds like valvetrain. I'd pull the cover. Then turn the engine over until each cylinder comes to TDC then see if there is any play in the rocker. Trunion bearings might have spit out sounds a bit like rubbing. Should be able to tell. Might need to loosen the rockers to inspect more thoroughly if you can't tell right away.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Sounds like valvetrain. I'd pull the cover. Then turn the engine over until each cylinder comes to TDC then see if there is any play in the rocker. Trunion bearings might have spit out sounds a bit like rubbing. Should be able to tell. Might need to loosen the rockers to inspect more thoroughly if you can't tell right away.
I agree with this. Valve train is my guess. I’d definitely be pulling the valve covers, based on the sound worst case might be a lifter spun or one that isn’t holding pressure. Slightly better case is probably a trunnion bearing or something like that. It almost sounds like it’s kind of random but definitely speed related, ie. A rod knock is steady and predictable, this sounds like it comes and goes in severity but never totally goes away. don’t sound like a bottom end problem to me. One of the only Sucky parts about the ls motors is to get to the lifters you have to pull the heads.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote