Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Sturgill_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Question regarding Race Stars

Has anybody else experienced a weird clinking noise with their racestars? While driving the first time, I heard an awful noise/popping sound while going roughly 35 mph, later figured out that I forgot to put the hub centric rings on. I put the rings on and it was fine on the way to a show lastnight. On the way home, it happened again. It almost sounds like you run over a piece of metal on the road mixed with a popping sound. Really odd and hoping for ideas as I do not feel safe driving it!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
GRNFLSH

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Hard to tell without knowing more. Which wheels and sizes? Factory lug nutz of aftermarket? Are you lowered?
BTR .660 springs, Straub solid bushing trunions
GPI rod-mod intake with I-M heat sheild
Circle D 258mm Pro single disc 3700 rpm stall converter
169F thermostat & manual fan switch
Tuned by Ryno at GPI - 455 RWHP / 416 lb-ft
GRNFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
have you had any axle changes done lately? There's a thrust washer that is required on the end of them, and if it's not in, you can get weird noises from the rear hub area. Had an axle replaced on my car, and the shop forgot to reinstall the washer. Every time the weight shifted, there was a metallic "clink" kind of noise that scared the hell out of me until I figured out what it was

HERE is a thread that discusses it, I think there's a vid somewhere in there that shows the sound clearly, if I recall correctly
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Sturgill_SS

No changes to axles or anything.. Lowered an inch but far from rubbing. 17X7 fronts and 17X10.5 rears. It feels like something almost "breaks" off but I look and its all fine. I used the standard lugs that racestar supplied. Checked them and they are still tight. Im going to check and see of maybe one of those plastic centric rings busted on me. Im clueless if not..
Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I think those plastic rings are just to center the wheel so that you can get the lug nuts started when installing them. They are just flimsy plastic, so I don't see them as being critical for anything else.

Are you sure you aren't hearing wheel weights hitting the calipers? Doesn't sound like that is the case, but worth a look.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Sturgill_SS

It literally feels like something is breaking off while I'm driving followed by a metal scraping sound that lasts about 2-3 seconds
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
GRNFLSH

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I’m running 17x10.5 rears at stock height and it’s a tight fit. Everything I’ve read has said that lowered cars need aftermarket or modified lower control arms with 17s due to clearance issues with the rim. Do you see any marks developing inside the rim or on the wheel weights?
BTR .660 springs, Straub solid bushing trunions
GPI rod-mod intake with I-M heat sheild
Circle D 258mm Pro single disc 3700 rpm stall converter
169F thermostat & manual fan switch
Tuned by Ryno at GPI - 455 RWHP / 416 lb-ft
GRNFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Sturgill_SS

There was some scraping at first! When I took it in to get balanced I noticed the rear brake line were rubbing the outside edge of the rim. I ziptied them back so they are out of the way
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Yeah, a lot of stuff I read made it sound like 17's on a lowered car need to notch the LCA on the rear.

I just pulled the trigger on an 18" Racestar drag pack, which arrived yesterday. Hoping those leave plenty of room.

So the little plastic rings that came in the box with my lugs are to center the wheels? Can these not just be put on the studs and bolted up like my stock wheels?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Sturgill_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Yeah, a lot of stuff I read made it sound like 17's on a lowered car need to notch the LCA on the rear.

I just pulled the trigger on an 18" Racestar drag pack, which arrived yesterday. Hoping those leave plenty of room.

So the little plastic rings that came in the box with my lugs are to center the wheels? Can these not just be put on the studs and bolted up like my stock wheels?
Nope! The center mounting holes is larger than on a stock wheel. That ring will fill in the Gap and make them fit just right. I drove it quite a bit yesterday and no odd sounds.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgill_SS View Post
Nope! The center mounting holes is larger than on a stock wheel. That ring will fill in the Gap and make them fit just right. I drove it quite a bit yesterday and no odd sounds.
Ahh, gotcha. I couldn't figure out what they were for lol. Hopefully one of these days I get some rubber on them so I can try them out. Glad to hear no odd sounds, hope it stays like that for ya!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote