Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Buzzmanb12

Drives: '17 ZL1
SOLER TB Installed

I got my SOLER TB last Thursday! Very nice machine work, and it looks great, to bad all the eye candy is I’ll be hidden inside of it.
I disconnected the battery Saturday evening and installed it Sunday afternoon. Everything went smoothly except for dropping the socket down the front of the motor and back on the skid plate... I got it fished out with a magnetic retriever and finished the install. I did the alternate relearn initial procedures without any faults in the driveway. Today I drove to work and around a good bit. My initial assessment is that it is NOTICEABLY more responsive and finite than my previous TB’s (2), especially during the bottom/lower input throttle pedal travel. No surging or hunting, very linear and smooth.

I’m extremely pleased with the outcome!!
Buzz
Buzzmanb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
dbb143

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
M6 or A10?
dbb143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12 View Post
I got my SOLER TB last Thursday! Very nice machine work, and it looks great, to bad all the eye candy is I’ll be hidden inside of it.
I disconnected the battery Saturday evening and installed it Sunday afternoon. Everything went smoothly except for dropping the socket down the front of the motor and back on the skid plate... I got it fished out with a magnetic retriever and finished the install. I did the alternate relearn initial procedures without any faults in the driveway. Today I drove to work and around a good bit. My initial assessment is that it is NOTICEABLY more responsive and finite than my previous TB’s (2), especially during the bottom/lower input throttle pedal travel. No surging or hunting, very linear and smooth.

Buzz
I dropped my socket as well, I haven't gotten mine out yet Can you tell me a little bit more about how you fished it out? What magnet tool did you use?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
Busted43

Drives: 2018 zl1,A10,16 GLC300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbb143 View Post
M6 or A10?
This?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
In addition to the M6 or A10 question, what other two TB's did you have before? I'm psyched that I'll be getting mine soon..
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Lowes has a two tool kit with a magnetic retrival tool a mirror tool, both on extended wands that go about 24 inches or so. Save my butt a number of times finding/retriving items in the engine bay.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Lowes has a two tool kit with a magnetic retrival tool a mirror tool, both on extended wands that go about 24 inches or so. Save my butt a number of times finding/retriving items in the engine bay.
Thanks, I'll check that out
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12 View Post

Buzz
Hey thanks for calling me to let me come hang out! Next time I am in Huntsville I will give you a call
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
It is an M6 guys.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: '23 CT5-V BW, '21 Corvette HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out
I picked up one of these up from Home Depot. Best $9 I've ever spent. It has saved my butt too many times to count.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24...396H/206264355
Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
Buzzmanb12

Yup M6.
I used an extendable magnet, looks similar to a screw driver. I did not extend it very far so that I could manage getting it past everything it wanted to cling to. Go down the left front of the motor and then just fish around until you get it. I was lucky it grabbed the socket in less than a minute.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Buzzmanb12

I had Stock and Mamo TB's. I'm not knocking the Mamo TB, it is a great product but does not feel nearly as precise at low throttle inputs and linear accelerating to me. It may very well suit an automatic equipped car better that is not hampered by a ham footed human manipulating it.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Buzzmanb12

From the outside you can't tell any of the TB's apart. I got improvement from about 3K rpm on up when I switched to the Mamo from Stock. Right now I have noticeable improvement from idle on up, the only way I can think of to describe it is to compare it to an electric motor in how smooth it feels when taking off from a stop and accelerating thru the gears.