Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Camaro overstock

I'm just curious as to when everyone thinks we'll start seeing Camaros actually sitting on lots. I'm so ready to get one, but I just don't want to pay MSRP. Of course it's a hot car, but other than that reason, no one pays sticker on a car, period. Even less so in this economy with the auto industry as it is and the current credit situation. That said, I'm waiting until a dealer will be willing to talk about invoice pricing or just above before I order, but I still want a 2010. What a predicament!

On a fairly related note, I saw on Fox News that Chrysler has seen the lowest number of auto sales of any U.S. auto manufacturer today. It said that their sales this past quarter were down 25% from the same time last year. I personally thought that was pretty interesting considering they recently released the Challenger, and more recently the SE and R/T trims, not to mention it's been out long enough that the general public is aware of its existence. Of course, it doesn't have near the same value dollar-for-dollar that the Camaro has...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Lot cars will probably be available may-june, however, SS's will go for MSRP for a while.
Invoice pricing most likely will not take place until the units aren't moving.

Most dealers will not rush them off the lot because they will draw in customers that will end up buying something else.

Challengers not selling because dealers still charging "market adjustments" of 5-20k
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
The Challenger only appeals to a very limited number of people, so it's not surprising that its sales weren't enough to carry Dodge. Honestly, the Camaro will probably fair the same way. Performance cars just don't sell like they used to.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
my opinion: you gotta pay to play!
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
s.norman

Drives: not worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
agreed
s.norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.norman View Post
agreed
Ok, either you're both dealers, or I don't know what... Like I said, I understand that if you want to be the first on the block to have the next new thing, you're gonna pay a premium. That's just simple economics. And as the demand falls, the price falls. But no, I don't have to pay to play eventually. Again, NO ONE PAYS STICKER these days. And it doesn't matter that Camaro is new. The demand for new cars is very low these days, as indicated by the new car market. I'm sure not EVERY Dodge dealer is charging a crazy premium for the Challenger, and yet they're still not selling. So, honestly, in my humble opinion, I don't think it should be too long before I'll be able to get a deal on my Camaro. I'm sorry for those of you paying MSRP right now who think the rest of us who don't want to pay that may not have to in a short time, but again, demand for new cars is low, and according to GM, this is a car with a 100,000-units-a-year goal. It shouldn't take too long before they're on the lots, waiting...

2011 Avalanche LT
Old 10-24-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Pushing_Tin

Drives: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Ok, either you're both dealers, or I don't know what... Like I said, I understand that if you want to be the first on the block to have the next new thing, you're gonna pay a premium. That's just simple economics. And as the demand falls, the price falls. But no, I don't have to pay to play eventually. Again, NO ONE PAYS STICKER these days. And it doesn't matter that Camaro is new. The demand for new cars is very low these days, as indicated by the new car market. I'm sure not EVERY Dodge dealer is charging a crazy premium for the Challenger, and yet they're still not selling. So, honestly, in my humble opinion, I don't think it should be too long before I'll be able to get a deal on my Camaro. I'm sorry for those of you paying MSRP right now who think the rest of us who don't want to pay that may not have to in a short time, but again, demand for new cars is low, and according to GM, this is a car with a 100,000-units-a-year goal. It shouldn't take too long before they're on the lots, waiting...
I agree with this 100%. I just saw today that both the brand new F-150 and Dodge Ram are both getting incentives already. I also saw the BMW is offering 0.9% on ALL models, even the Ms and Alpina models. I too will wait until spring and see where the pricing/incentives are.
Pushing_Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
SS-LS3

Drives: SS-LS2
good thing you don't live in hawaii..... there is only one Toyota dealer..... a couple three Chevy dealers.... so on and so forth.... still have to pay for shipping and sales tax if purchased out of state (courtesy delivered @$2000) really cant win...

paying MSRP here is a pretty good deal.... maybe next year when they are sitting on the lot for a while.... you can get a "deal" (if GM gives a rebate or something) and save some $$$.....

yup sucks here... but the weather is good....
SS-LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
Tal

Drives: Old
Nearly everything costs more in Hawaii. I expect discounts to start next winter, reaching a 'normal' level sometime in MY2011.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
It will take a good 6 months before you will get invoice most likely and that will beon V-6 models. I'd say you could get invoice in Dec. Jan. in a northern state since they wil be sitting oh the lot with summer tires on them.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
gsxrpilot

Drives: 1969 Z28
Sticker, Below Sticker and invoice pricing

Do people even read what is fact. Look at the spread between invoice to retail. Lets not talk about GM. This is about the Dealers. The Camaro is but one car in the product line. What about the pick up's, suv's the sedans and vette's. Dealers have to sit and sell all of that inventory as well. Here's an ugly word FLOOR Plan! That is INTEREST the dealer pays to the bank for financing the very cars they try to sell. I have seen how there are 300 people here that ordered there Camaros at MSRP. That makes up for 10% of the total production of the quarter. Congrats... In the bigger picture this forum is a minority in comparison to the WHOLE WORLD MARKET PLACE! Now many might not like this statement but it is all facts. I want lot's of things and some go my way and others don't. Don't BITCH because you can't or don't. We all go to work to make a living, Don't hate appreciate. That Chevy dealer in you town hires people that make a living that support YOUR LOCAL ECONOMY! Lets not be pissy about one car that could boost a dealers financial statement and keep those friends, family members and patrons to your place of buiness employed and spending there paychecks with you. It's a two way street that should be allowed to be driven on both sides! And yes I am a dealer!
gsxrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrpilot View Post
Do people even read what is fact. Look at the spread between invoice to retail. Lets not talk about GM. This is about the Dealers. The Camaro is but one car in the product line. What about the pick up's, suv's the sedans and vette's. Dealers have to sit and sell all of that inventory as well. Here's an ugly word FLOOR Plan! That is INTEREST the dealer pays to the bank for financing the very cars they try to sell. I have seen how there are 300 people here that ordered there Camaros at MSRP. That makes up for 10% of the total production of the quarter. Congrats... In the bigger picture this forum is a minority in comparison to the WHOLE WORLD MARKET PLACE! Now many might not like this statement but it is all facts. I want lot's of things and some go my way and others don't. Don't BITCH because you can't or don't. We all go to work to make a living, Don't hate appreciate. That Chevy dealer in you town hires people that make a living that support YOUR LOCAL ECONOMY! Lets not be pissy about one car that could boost a dealers financial statement and keep those friends, family members and patrons to your place of buiness employed and spending there paychecks with you. It's a two way street that should be allowed to be driven on both sides! And yes I am a dealer!
I can fully appreciate what you're saying, and I can't imagine what it's like in these times for you guys. Personally, I think the whole dealership sales system needs to be reworked. People don't buy cars like they used to, and thanks to the internet (Camaro5.com, hello!), people are smarter. So for you who make straight commission with no base pay, it's stressful no doubt. That's why I say, I'll pay over invoice, but again, SUGGESTED retail price doesn't mean I have to pay for it. And I wouldn't pretend to know exactly how the profit money pans out at a dealer, but $3,000 (the premium over dealer cost at MSRP on the 2SS Camaro) is a lot of money. And just as you work hard, I work hard too, on a fixed income no less. I'm a cop, and if you know anything about us, we're sadly underpaid for what we do. Particularly at my agency, we're VERY underpaid, with few chances to make any extra money anywhere. So I'm all for helping a man with his paycheck, but in this capitalist society, I don't see why anyone should making a ton of cash (and I know, I'm sure you're not rolling in the green right now) off of my VERY hard-earned, and hard to come by, pay. And if I pay MSRP, you as a salesman could be making $1,500 in ONE SALE! That's what I make in TWO WEEKS! Sure that may be your only sale in a long time, but then it may not...

So, while we should all appreciate the modern salesman's situation, the salesmen need to appreciate the situation of us blue-collar workers as well.

2011 Avalanche LT
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
on thing to consider is that GM had over 600,000 inquiries into the camaro, it means that the car will be very popular and there are definately lots of people out there to buy them
Old 10-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
gsxrpilot

Drives: 1969 Z28
$1500 Commision on a Camaro?

$1500 is long away from reality. Most dealerships now pay sales people a 300 Draw! Not a paycheck but a loan against a pay check and a 15% Commision! In this case a commision sale for a Camaro at MSRP would net the Sales Person a $450 credit against his draw. I think I'd rather be a cop who doesn't want to pay MSRP.... The other Blue Collar Working GUY!
gsxrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote