The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Talking Generation V V8 Engines Update!!!

I'm getting little goosebumps...hehehe

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...pr/0427_plants

Quote:
    • Five plants receive work: Tonawanda, N.Y.; Defiance, Ohio; Bedford, Ind.; Bay City, Mich. and St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    • Investment creates or retains about 1,600 jobs
    • New engines to save more fuel through direct injection technology and advanced combustion system design
DETROIT –General Motors will invest more than $890 million which will create or retain more than 1,600 jobs in five North American plants to produce a new generation of fuel efficient small block truck and car engines. The investment consists of the following:

• Two plants will support the engine production:
    • Tonawanda, N.Y. – an investment of $400 million resulting in more than 710 jobs
    • St. Catharines, Ontario – an investment of $235 million resulting in approximately 400 jobs (click here for Canada release)
  • Three plants will support engine casting and component production:
    • Defiance, Ohio – an investment of $115 million resulting in up to 189 jobs
    • Bedford, Ind. – an investment of $111 million resulting in about 245 jobs
    • Bay City, Mich. – an investment of $32 million resulting in over 80 jobs
The investments include facility renovation and installation of new, highly flexible engine machining and assembly equipment and special tooling designed for manufacturing efficiency and engine quality. At the casting facilities, investments include expansion of semi-permanent mold and precision sand casting technologies that result in a high degree of dimensional accuracy and material strength properties needed to support the newer, more efficient engines in GM’s product portfolio.

“GM is investing in our plants, restoring and creating jobs and making progress toward our vision of designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America. “These latest investments show our commitment to improving fuel economy for buyers of every GM car, truck and crossover and giving them the best possible driving and ownership experience.”

The next generation small block engine family will have unprecedented fuel efficiency through direct injection and an all-new advanced combustion system design. The new engine family will rely exclusively on aluminum engine blocks, which are lighter and contribute to the improved fuel efficiency. In addition to being E85 ethanol capable, these engines are being designed with the capability to meet increasingly stringent criteria emissions standards expected throughout this decade.

Specifics about the engine capabilities as well as product applications will be shared at a later date.

Since the launch of the new GM last July, the company has announced investments of more than $2.3 billion at 22 facilities in the U.S. and Canada. These investments restored or created more than 9,100 jobs, and they demonstrate a strong commitment to GM’s future and to the United States and Canada.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...Apr/0427_genIV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
The Generation IV V8s:

GM’s $890 million investment to produce cleaner and more efficient next-generation small block engines builds on a heritage of innovation and technology – and nearly 100 million engines produced.

The current fourth-generation small block engine powers the Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V and the GMC Yukon as well as many other models.

Gen IV engines are characterized by refinements and advanced technology such as variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management. Variable valve timing enables improved torque, fuel economy and emissions. Active Fuel Management disables the combustion process of half the engine’s cylinders in certain driving conditions, enabling fuel savings of up to 5 percent in trucks and 12 percent in cars.

Many Gen IV variants can run on gasoline, E85 ethanol or any combination of the two.

Contemporary demands for efficiency and performance refinements were the very demands that pushed the original small-block’s development 55 years ago. Although a new engine was on the drawing table when Chief Engineer Ed Cole transferred from Cadillac to Chevrolet, he soon dismissed the original design and challenged his engineers to develop a more compact engine that would be easier to manufacture.

In the early ’90s, the Gen II small-block was introduced in cars including the Corvette. Known as the LT1 and, later, the LT4, the Gen II featured new, low-friction internal components and reverse-flow cooling to enable the efficient and great performing small-blocks. Some Gen II features, including the low-profile, high-flow intake manifold, previewed technology that would be incorporated into the all-new Gen III.

The Gen III was introduced as the LS1 5.7-liter engine in the 1997 Corvette, while Vortec versions of the Gen III for trucks were introduced in 1999, with displacements ranging from 4.8 liters to 6.0 liters. The Gen III engine benefited from new technology, including replicated cylinder head ports, six-bolt mains, gerotor oil pump and composite intake manifold, but its design drew upon more than 40 years of research and continuous improvements from the Gen I and Gen II small-blocks
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
This is fantastic news for all GM fans. New technology, more efficiency, more power, and MOAR JOBS!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
From someone who knows, over at GMInsideNEWS:
Expect the DOHC's in the trucks (more torque capability).
Cam in block design...details are sketchy. I have heard it referred to as DOHC.
OHV's will continue in car applications.
Supercharging the Small Blocks isn't dead. 6.2L moniker is going to be familiar.
Trust me when I say this...the OHV Gen V's BLOW AWAY any "modern" DOHC engine. They are incredible. I know more than I can say.
They had to re-do the combustion chamber, which will include a direct injector, high pressure like a diesel. Hcci is said to be a few years away, and requires vvt, which the new engines will all have. Figure 6% improvement in fuel economy, while hcci promises another 15%. Add Dual Mode, and we may see V8s getting 30 mpg or more!

More from GMInsideNEWS:
The engine photo was of the current LS9 block, the Gen V block will have the camshaft positioned higher in the block, a raised cam. A higher position cam in the block alllows greater flexibility in pushrod positioning and because the pushrods are shorter the are stiffer. Think R07 NASCAR as the inspiration. The Cam in the Gen V block will most likeky be even higher in the block than the R07, NASCAR has specific rules as to the height of the cam above the center line of the crankshaft, that do not apply to production engines. Due to DI being planned for the engine the cumbustion chambers will have to be changed from the current design. Again loock at the R07 heads cumbustion chambers and ports and you can see there is plenty of room for the (direct) injector to be on the intake side of the head centers between the two valves and very close to the center of the combustion chamber and that the rocker arms are well clear of the injector also. The earlier Wards Auto article talked about the heads having revised ports to provide clearence for the SIDI injector.

VVT is currently used on the LS series motors and will be used on the Gen V version of the motor. Currently the VVT system does not provide for independent variable timing om both the intake and the exhaust valves. However going to concentric, cam in cam, technology would all accomplish dual independent variable valve timing with no significant changes to the block. It is likely that both types of VVT will be used Gen V blocks, the current systems used on lower price point vehicles and the "cam in cam" system on preimum price point vehicles and in performance engines. The same may be true with head design, two valve heads at lower price points and three valve heads on preimum pricepoint and performance vehicles.

As to engine size a 4.9/5.0, a 5.5 and a 6.2. the 5.0 is a 3.87 bore and a 3.36 stroke (almost a return of the 307 that Chevy produced some 25 years ago) a 5.5 is the bore of the currnet LS9 and the 3.26 stroke of the 4.8 truck motor. The parts commonality with current motors reduces costs. Utilizing two blocks and two cranks gives three displacements to cover the entire displacement range. Add in two differnet head types, 2 and three valve designs, and two different VVT systems, AFM, SVIS (Stationary Vehicle Idle Stop) and you can get a very wide variety of engines that cover a large price point range from basic work truck to preimum vehicles like Cadillac sedans and the Corvette with advanced features that favor performance, economy, and emissions reduction.

This would provide a cost effective way to meet the needs for a powerplant family that has favroable packaging and is able to provide normally aspirated power levels of HP from 65 to 80+per litre competive withe DOHC designs.
This is what we have been hearing.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
i'm very excite they're staying with the pushrod
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Oh man I wonder when these suckers will make it into production. I have yet to buy a camaro or vette and would LOVE for this to be a year or two out.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I would love to able to buy a 30+ mpg Silverado
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
It's too bad my SRX isn't 5.0 or 5.5 equipped with DI, that would be sweet!

But it's good to see lots of good news surrounding the new Gen V engines! mmmm DI V8's....
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
"a 5.5 is the bore of the current LS9 [4.06] and the 3.26 stroke of the 4.8 truck motor"

That looks to be a pretty big difference between bore and stroke. I'm guessing it should have a fairly high redline
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
well GM had to do something cuz fords new engines are really great and we havent even seen some of the new ecoboosts yet..rumor is that the new explorer will get 30 mpg or more
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That looks to be a pretty big difference between bore and stroke. I'm guessing it should have a fairly high redline
I was JUST thinking about that...these guys are gonna be screamers...the shorter pushrods factor in here, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
well GM had to do something cuz fords new engines are really great and we havent even seen some of the new ecoboosts yet..rumor is that the new explorer will get 30 mpg or more
GM's been working on this since before "EcoBoost" (aka turbo-on-an-engine) was revealed...and from what I read, they've got an answer to that, too.

EDIT: Equinox already gets 32.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I was JUST thinking about that...these guys are gonna be screamers...the shorter pushrods factor in here, as well.

GM's been working on this since before "EcoBoost" (aka turbo-on-an-engine) was revealed...and from what I read, they've got an answer to that, too.

And I was thinking that, lol
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

yup i know and my equinox is on order and arriving in june
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
Yes..............but with a 2.0 L Turbo. Can you say Sky Redline?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am very impressed with American engine technology, moreso than Japanese engines.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote