Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #1
Annihilate

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro, 1988 IROC Z
Send a message via Skype™ to Annihilate
Another ZL1 Addons Lift Pad Question

Hello there,

I've decided that I will be doing all maintenance on the car myself as my dealer has given me a bad taste.

Just hit the 500mile point and preparing for my first oil change.

I am going to be building on to some ramps I have, however I will eventually need to properly lift the car for other maintenance/inspection/cleaning purposes.

I've committed to purchasing the ZL1 Addons Pucks and Pads.

If I am understanding correctly, the Premium 3" Jack MagPad™ is meant for actually jacking the car up, I believe I'll be doing this from the center most jack point.

My question comes into play with the Lift Pads.

Just looking to get to the bottom of this.

I have ground effects, and a set of standard jackstands from harbor freight, they look like this... (not mine)

They are not the ones that were recalled.

Being that I have the ground effects, should I go with the STEALTH or STANDARD Lift pads?

Just looking for a simple easy straight forward answer lol.

Will eventually be upgrading my jack stands, but I can only invest so much into the car while also paying for the car!

Looking forward to settling this internal debate I've had.

Annihilate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #2
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
I just installed the stealth pads this week. I do not have ground effects. FWIW, the standards seem to be slightly taller from comparing them pre-purchase, so if you're concerned about clearance that may be preferable.

That being said, everything I've read - and after seeing the clearance myself - you're NOT to use jack stands on the lift pads (if I am reading your post correctly). If you watch the video from Lethal Camaro, he shows you great points on the inner frame to place jack stands, while lifting the car on a jack from the pads.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:39 AM   #3
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
I just installed the stealth pads this week. I do not have ground effects. FWIW, the standards seem to be slightly taller from comparing them pre-purchase, so if you're concerned about clearance that may be preferable.

That being said, everything I've read - and after seeing the clearance myself - you're NOT to use jack stands on the lift pads (if I am reading your post correctly). If you watch the video from Lethal Camaro, he shows you great points on the inner frame to place jack stands, while lifting the car on a jack from the pads.

So if the lift pads aren't meant to be used with jackstands, then they only serve to be used with an actual lift? This is certainly news to me, and I am glad I am hearing it now! They should really provide more information on the website as to the proper use and function of these things.

I took a cursory glance at the video, I can't play it with sound at this time, but it appears he's using two jacks to lift the front? My confidence for lifting this thing has waned, and I certainly can't afford any lift system at this time.

This is interesting to me as I was hoping to keep the stands away from any paint underneath.

I will have to do some thinking here on how I am going to go about this. Looks like I'll be in the market for an additional jack as well as the lift pads/mag pad.

Is there any reason as to why one shouldn't use the lift pads as the location for the jackstand? Is it simply unsafe/unsturdy?

Last edited by Annihilate; 04-12-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:00 AM   #4
Deacon Blues

You don't need multiple jacks, he's just pointing out how he likes to do maintenance. In wouldn't be afraid of lifting with a floor Jack using the lift pads - that's how I intend to use them (assuming the job I'm going can't be done using ramps). I need to take the rear wheels off to install the rock guards, so I will follow his advice on lifting with the floor Jack and then bracing with the jack stands on the areas he indicated in the video.

I'd be interested to see other's responses about using the lift pads with jack stands, but from being under the car to install them, it didn't seem to me that there would be much clearance between the stands and the pads. I'd be worried about crushing the side skirt/fender. With the floor jack, I have a flat pad (as opposed to a cup) so I'm not really concerned, and I would assume that's the reason for them being intended for floor or shop jacks but not jack stands. Happy to hear otherwise from those with more experience though!
Old 04-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #5
Annihilate

Yeah, I'm still in a phase where I am nervous about every little thing on this car. I'm sure after I lift it a few times, that will go away.

This is my first new car and I am trying to get out of the babying phase lol.

Will likely be lifting the car when I do the diff fluid change.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #6
Deacon Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilate View Post
Yeah, I'm still in a phase where I am nervous about every little thing on this car. I'm sure after I lift it a few times, that will go away.

This is my first new car and I am trying to get out of the babying phase lol.

Will likely be lifting the car when I do the diff fluid change.

You and I are in the same boat my brother, no worries! I've always had pickup trucks and while I've done my own maintenance on them, I've never really worked with a unibody frame or a sports car so I appreciate all the knowledge from this forum.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:06 AM   #7
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I have the standard lift pads and would not want them any shorter (especially if you have or plan to add side skirts). You can use them with jack stands, but I would not use the ones you pictured. I use Esco jackstands that have a flat, circular top with a rubber pad. The car rests securely on them and has never moved at all.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:11 AM   #8
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
You and I are in the same boat my brother, no worries! I've always had pickup trucks and while I've done my own maintenance on them, I've never really worked with a unibody frame or a sports car so I appreciate all the knowledge from this forum.
Indeed, I've done a lot of lifting on my old project car, but a nearly 40 year old project car doesn't hold the same sense of terror as working on a brand new car that isn't paid off yet lol.

This forum is really a home for me now, just as thirdgen.org has been for many moons.

I have full faith in our abilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I have the standard lift pads and would not want them any shorter (especially if you have or plan to add side skirts). You can use them with jack stands, but I would not use the ones you pictured. I use Esco jackstands that have a flat, circular top with a rubber pad. The car rests securely on them and has never moved at all.
I'm assuming you're referring to these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37473299190...Bk9SR4CakbHaYw

A set of those would run me about the same as the secondary Jack I was looking at.

Do you lift one side at a time and set them under the lift pads? How does it look when you lower one side onto the pads?

Old 04-12-2024, 11:18 AM   #9
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Indeed, I've done a lot of lifting on my old project car, but a nearly 40 year old project car doesn't hold the same sense of terror as working on a brand new car that isn't paid off yet lol.

This forum is really a home for me now, just as thirdgen.org has been for many moons.

I have full faith in our abilities!

I'm assuming you're referring to these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37473299190...Bk9SR4CakbHaYw

A set of those would run me about the same as the secondary Jack I was looking at.

Do you lift one side at a time and set them under the lift pads? How does it look when you lower one side onto the pads?

Yes, that's them, but I would buy the short version which that seller also (or used to) have. Amazon has them also, but they are more expensive. I lift from just behind the front wheel and the entire side will lift up, that's how rigid the frames on these cars is. I lift high enough to place both jack stands underneath, then repeat for the other side if needed. Works great.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:23 AM   #10
Annihilate

Quote:
Yes, that's them, but I would buy the short version which that seller also (or used to) have. Amazon has them also, but they are more expensive. I lift from just behind the front wheel and the entire side will lift up, that's how rigid the frames on these cars is. I lift high enough to place both jack stands underneath, then repeat for the other side if needed. Works great.

Interesting, this was what I had originally thought these pads would be used for.

This is where I am having issues with my research as I am seeing many people go the way that Deacon has mentioned, and I believe I have seen many go the way you are describing as well.

I was/am having trouble conceptualizing how it looks or sits when only the one side is supported by the jackstands, that seems like the most worrying point to me.

Next time you have your car up, if you wouldnt mind taking a shot of the one side supported, it would be quite helpful as to where I am putting my money!

Also, are these the shorter ones you're referring to?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37473299537...sAAOSwzhNkUn6m

Old 04-12-2024, 11:31 AM   #11
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Interesting, this was what I had originally thought these pads would be used for.

This is where I am having issues with my research as I am seeing many people go the way that Deacon has mentioned, and I believe I have seen many go the way you are describing as well.

I was/am having trouble conceptualizing how it looks or sits when only the one side is supported by the jackstands, that seems like the most worrying point to me.

Next time you have your car up, if you wouldnt mind taking a shot of the one side supported, it would be quite helpful as to where I am putting my money!

Also, are these the shorter ones you're referring to?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37473299537...sAAOSwzhNkUn6m
That's the ones I bought, and from that seller too. I would just buy two sets, cause you may want to have the car completely off the ground at some point as I later learned and had to order another set.

I was also a little worried at first when lifting the car and resting it on just one side, but others here assured me it was perfectly safe and wouldn't hurt anything. The frames on these cars are amazingly rigid. I just had it lifted again last week to install a Borla exhaust and some BMR suspension parts. Imho, the lift pads combined with the Esco jack stands is the way to go on these cars.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #12
Annihilate

Quote:
That's the ones I bought, and from that seller too. I would just buy two sets, cause you may want to have the car completely off the ground at some point as I later learned and had to order another set.

I was also a little worried at first when lifting the car and resting it on just one side, but others here assured me it was perfectly safe and wouldn't hurt anything. The frames on these cars are amazingly rigid. I just had it lifted again last week to install a Borla exhaust and some BMR suspension parts. Imho, the lift pads combined with the Esco jack stands is the way to go on these cars.
This would put me at ease preventing me from having to have anything in contact with the components underneath.

I'm going to lean into this method unless multiple individuals state otherwise before I go up for the first time.

Thank you for your input!

Old 04-12-2024, 12:18 PM   #13
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
I have no affiliation nor am I getting compensated, but I just bought a set of these to try them out. Seems like a great solution. I should have them next week. It'll eliminate the need to use jack stands in addition to a floor jack.
https://agatools.com/products/copy-of-jack-rod-stand
SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:24 PM   #14
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
I have had these on my car for 2years. I have lifted it a bunch of times with them and they work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
I have the ACS side skirts and I wouldnt want anything shorter than these as my lowpro jack is like 2mm away from the skirt as it makes contact with the jack pad

you cant use a regular stand on the pads but you can use this type of stand on them.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ads-58789.html
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote