Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
Brake pads look off

So I upgraded my rotors and brake lines along with dot 5 fluid for track days. Taking off my driver's front caliper I noticed some flaking that came off and looked like material from the pads. So out of caution I got new pads for the whole front. Thank God, look at these pads. WTH, they are power stop extreme pads. Anyone else seen this?
Attached Images

Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
had some cheapie drum brake pads on my old tempest look like that after one 100-0 stop.after that i used raybestos gold.im thinking you did a few hard stops there...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Yeah my Powerstop brakes didnt last at all. Powerstop wouldnt honor the warranty so i said F.O. and went to R1!!So far so good.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #4
jokrz187

I am starting to do track days and I had those brakes on when I did my last event and had brake fading(I think). Of course the fluid in the brake system was 8 years old. So it was over due on upgrades.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Buy some real pads like Raybestos ST43 and throw that junk in the garbage
Old 09-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #6
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I hope you meant DOT5.1 instead of DOT5, you definitely don't want to run DOT5 for any performance use.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #7
jokrz187

I did mean 5.1 for fluid and I will check on those pads that you recommended. For now I got Brembo NOA pads from AutoZone. I'll give them a try and see. Now I am curious what my rears look like since I also put power stop in those.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:55 AM   #8
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
As others have stated here, ditch the cheap PowerStops.

Tires and brakes are the two big things I do not cheap out on.
I'm running Hawk DTS70s in the front and DTS60 in the rear with zero issues on my local track. Raybestos ST43s are on the top of the list as well.
They were on "indefinite back order" when I tried to order some, so I went with Hawk.

Since you already did the brake fluid, get yourself some quality pads and maybe some titanium spacers up front as well. They help keep pad heat off the calipers.

If you get more into track days, look into a ZL1/CTS-V/Z06 front conversion.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #9
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 View Post
Yeah my Powerstop brakes didnt last at all. Powerstop wouldnt honor the warranty so i said F.O. and went to R1!!So far so good.
My R1 concept brakes have performed well for me since I installed them but they sure are noisy at low speeds. Also, I paid more for the black finish on the rotor hats and that lasted maybe a few months

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:09 PM   #10
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
My R1 concept brakes have performed well for me since I installed them but they sure are noisy at low speeds. Also, I paid more for the black finish on the rotor hats and that lasted maybe a few months
I like the black look but i figured it wouldnt last so i passed on that, I just run there rotors and have hawk pads and only have a little squeak with cold after sitting for a few days. Other than that mine are very quiet and absolutely no brake dust!!
Old 09-26-2023, 06:14 AM   #11
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebagger06 View Post
I like the black look but i figured it wouldnt last so i passed on that, I just run there rotors and have hawk pads and only have a little squeak with cold after sitting for a few days. Other than that mine are very quiet and absolutely no brake dust!!
I don't remember exactly what I ordered, I'm sure I can look it up but its a complete R1 package so rotors and pads. They aren't noisy all the time but occasionally and mostly at slow speeds like coming to a slow stop or maybe holding the brakes a bit rolling thru a parking lot. I dont feel too bad about it, the owner of my company has a $250k+ Aston Martin and those brakes scream as he pulls into our parking lot

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #12
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
We have used the Hawk DTC70 and DTC60 with great success.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
NewCamaroSSowner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS convertible
OK my 2011 Camaro 2SS finally needs brakes at 49,000 miles. I do not do track driving but I do drive fast on the street and like the good brakes I had with the factory, but dealer prices are insane, also the only thing special is the Brembo calipers. The rotors and pads are ac delco I was told by the dealer. So I am wanting to know the best rotors, I feel like I should replace them instead of trying to have the old ones turned? Also which pads are the best for street use at a reasonable price, I do think I want to go with ceramic because the brake dust is horrible with the factory semi metallic and even if I lose a little braking power since I dont go to the track I think it will be ok. So hit me up with suggestions please, and thanks everyone.
NewCamaroSSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:26 AM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamaroSSowner View Post
OK my 2011 Camaro 2SS finally needs brakes at 49,000 miles. I do not do track driving but I do drive fast on the street and like the good brakes I had with the factory, but dealer prices are insane, also the only thing special is the Brembo calipers. The rotors and pads are ac delco I was told by the dealer. So I am wanting to know the best rotors, I feel like I should replace them instead of trying to have the old ones turned? Also which pads are the best for street use at a reasonable price, I do think I want to go with ceramic because the brake dust is horrible with the factory semi metallic and even if I lose a little braking power since I dont go to the track I think it will be ok. So hit me up with suggestions please, and thanks everyone.
I just went with the AC Delco Professional semi metallic pads and their rotors when we did mine. To date they are pretty much dust free, and stop the car really well.