Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-29-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
No tune CAI

Ok,

We got roto fab, GM, KN...

I know it is opinion but, I'll take a why.

And it looks like the GM intake stopped at 2020

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:09 AM   #2
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Ok,

We got roto fab, GM, KN...

I know it is opinion but, I'll take a why.

And it looks like the GM intake stopped at 2020
I've had 3 CAI'S from K&N(2015 Colorado, 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, and 2023 ZL1) as well as other products(Regular air filters, oil filters, etc) and have had ZERO issues with anything I've gotten. Their CAI's have been around since the 80's and we're one of if not the first company to make CAI's so I'm confident in their product/engineering/testing. There is no real SIGNIFICANT hp/tq gain between any of the available CAI'S on STOCK non-tuned ZL1'S..If anything there is a 1-3 or 1-5 hp difference which you will NEVER feel or be able to tell the difference anyways. So bottom line for ME anyways is why go with something else when what I've been using has been great and is just as good as others..you know?? JUST my .02. I'm not the type of person to "knock" other brands, just like to keep using what's been successful and good for me personally. Good luck in your choice!

Last edited by NYTMARE23; 03-29-2023 at 08:26 AM.
NYTMARE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
CAI is a beautiful product! By my issue with the CAI I had was that the carbon fiber tube from the throttle body to the air box is solid/ridged and doesn't allow much adjustment. I added a Soler 103mm throttle body and used their adapter plate since my Supercharger wasn't ported. So, this caused the angle to the CAI airbox not to line up with the stock airbox gourmets. So when I force it to push into place, it caused a gap between the carbon fiber air induction tube and the CAI airbox. I had to go with a Big Gulp since they have a mid point rubber boot. It allowed mine to line up properly.
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I chose the RotoFab just based on reputation and nothing else, the things are all essentially the same design, filter, etc.., you're just making a personal choice on the brand. I gave no attention to the supposed hp/tq claims made by any of them. For me it was just sounds/looks, which, again, are subjective. My RotoFab went in very easily and has been trouble free for 6K miles now.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I chose the RotoFab just based on reputation and nothing else, the things are all essentially the same design, filter, etc.., you're just making a personal choice on the brand. I gave no attention to the supposed hp/tq claims made by any of them. For me it was just sounds/looks, which, again, are subjective. My RotoFab went in very easily and has been trouble free for 6K miles now.
Agree! That's pretty much all I did with my K&N one. Based it on personal preference and reputation. Get a great amount of supercharger whine which is cool and some better throttle response. At 650hp, which is ENOUGH power anyways..the hp/tq gains are not going to be "felt" .
Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
GM never offered a CAI for our ZL1s to my knowledge and that’s one of the reasons I chose a RotoFab for mine. I checked out theirs, Cold Air Inductions CAI and a few others but decided on the RF over the other brands. It’s a personal preference.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Pick the one that has a history of easy install, no hiccups with drivability and looks. None are really performance mods without additional changes which would benefit from increased airflow. Roto Fab is a well made CAI and adds a bit of blower whine.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I had the RF (non-BG) for about 500-miles, and it was completely fine. No tune - completely stock car otherwise. I did adjust my by-pass valve a little (not too much from where it started), but that, in conjunction with the RF - my car was running from about 11-12-psi of boost, opposed to the OEM 9-10. It helped with whine, too. The fit was perfect, and I liked they included everything you'd want in the kit, including pan head bolts where the weatherstrip interfaces with the hood.

I liked it so much, I paid full price for a BG a year later, just to get all the airflow that was available for my simple combination.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:58 PM   #9
FarmerFran

Does GM still offer theirs?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:11 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
They never had one for a ZL1 Fran! Only for the SS which was a Cold Air Inductions CAI with a dealer installed tune that had a GM part number. You can’t go wrong with a RotoFab intake.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #11
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
They never had one for a ZL1 Fran! Only for the SS which was a Cold Air Inductions CAI with a dealer installed tune that had a GM part number. You can’t go wrong with a RotoFab intake.
The original part number lists the ZL1

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...-6-2l-84651227

But it answers my question. and Thank You

Old 03-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #12
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
ROTO FAB , Looks Race Ready, at the Cruise ins / Car Shows , and sounds very impressive .

I had the CAI unit on my 22 1SS (GMPP unit was not available, same as CAI ) no ET gain avg. MPH avg 1 3/4 gain , Jan stock TNT, Feb CAI TNT
Disregard RT , Electronic Throttle, hard to get use too. Definitely not the same as Cable.
Attached Images