Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Front Radius Rod Bushing Insert, Installation questions.

Hi, I was thinking of installing these on my 14 2SS, I just did a lot of suspension work and had the car re aligned, Will I need to have another alignment after installing these?

Are these worth it?
Any installation tips?
Do I need to time the bushings with these? Final tightening with vehicle weight on the car? I was not planning on using a drive on lift.

I was going to install these using the height of a jack only.

Any brand better then the others for these?

Thanks

https://pedders.com/products/ep6578-...maro-2010-2015
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Definitely worth it. Chevy put a really hard version in the Z28s. Prothane used to make some for under $40 and now it looks like Whiteline is selling them.

This link could be of interest.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394505

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Joe.G

I just ordered the Pedders Inserts, But now I am seeing Prothane has a set that looks beefier and cheaper, I'll probably keep the Pedders unless you guys think I should go the Prothane route.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-7-239
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Old 10-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have a set of the JPSS inserts an they make the steering much more precise an positive.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #5
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I have a 1LE and I replaced the OEM inserts with Pedders to start - minor difference. Then the pressed in part of the bushing started failing, so I ended up getting the Z28 version of the whole arm to replace. That was a world of difference!

If you have no inserts, then you'll feel better with them, but check out the condition of the arms themselves first and see about the Z28 arms. It's a pretty easy replacement just on jack stands, and well worth it. You're going to want an alignment after - my toe was off a bit afterward.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
Joe.G

Terry your toe was off after replacing the whole arm? I saw pictures you posted when you did your inserts and your Bushings were shot at that point, My car is right around 14 K very little suspension wear on the parts I have changed so far.

Olblue the JPSS ones look like what and are made from what? They are no longer available I don't think.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
terry_b

Yeah, mine is a daily driver so definitely a lot more wear. If you're not putting many miles on it, you might be alright without another alignment. My toe was off enough to make the car feel like it was weaving a bit under hard acceleration or deceleration.

It's definitely a really solid upgrade. Steering feel is much more firm and precise.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
I am using the Whiteline inserts.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The JPSS are made of aluminum and JPSS is out of business.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #10
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If simply installing the inserts (the old ones just pull right out and the new ones push in - effortless), as long as your alignment is good now you won't need an alignment afterward because the hole in the frame is not elongated, just a regular circular hole (although if you haven't had an alignment in awhile it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it checked anyway).

Just make sure to measure the distance from the centre of the wheel to the fender before jacking up the car, and then when reinstalling the radius rod bolt jack up the knuckle to this same height so as to "preload" the suspension (i.e. time/clock the bushings).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I think the Z28 arms are no longer available.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #12
Joe.G

Ok, Sounds like a plan with the measuring, Alignment was just done along with Other suspension parts and timing the bushings. I have the Pedders inserts on the the way. I am assuming this is a straight forward installation.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
terry_b

Very straightforward. Lift the car up, remove the radius arm bolt, and drop the end of the arm down a bit. Push the inserts into the void in the bushing (2 per arm), then move the arm back into place and reinstall the bolt.

Measuring is a good idea, but I actually just dropped the car onto the ground and slid under the front to torque that bolt down.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #14
Joe.G

Yeah I was going to see if i can reach it when its on the ground. I am going to go out to my shop in a bit to check, Wish i thought of this before as I am replacing all the fluids today and will have the car up.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,