Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
JThorn

Drives: 15’ Chevy Camaro Z/28
Camaro Fest events

Ok my Z family I have questions. I’m preparing the car for Camaro Fest in a couple weeks and I was going over the track prep guide geesh🤦*♂️. I’m doing a Novice/beginner class at NCM road course and then the next day doing the autoX event. Not looking for trophies or to be really competitive just wanting some experience and fun and to learn and enjoy the car. Now I have new tires and Im about to do the other prep but is it really necessary? I get the oil change and filter (PF64) that’s a given. But will the stock brake fluid, coolant, and diff oil all be ok without changing and just making sure they are topped off? I have just over 12k on the car but don’t know if the car was ever tracked before. Also does anyone know the thickness of the stock (new) brake pads? Was going to check those as well even though the brake feel just fine. I guess I am just wanting to know what is a must and what isn’t. I don’t track the car ( 1st time ) and it’s a weekend warrior/car show cruiser not a daily. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks
JThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThorn View Post
Ok my Z family I have questions. I’m preparing the car for Camaro Fest in a couple weeks and I was going over the track prep guide geesh��*♂️. I’m doing a Novice/beginner class at NCM road course and then the next day doing the autoX event. Not looking for trophies or to be really competitive just wanting some experience and fun and to learn and enjoy the car. Now I have new tires and Im about to do the other prep but is it really necessary? I get the oil change and filter (PF64) that’s a given. But will the stock brake fluid, coolant, and diff oil all be ok without changing and just making sure they are topped off? I have just over 12k on the car but don’t know if the car was ever tracked before. Also does anyone know the thickness of the stock (new) brake pads? Was going to check those as well even though the brake feel just fine. I guess I am just wanting to know what is a must and what isn’t. I don’t track the car ( 1st time ) and it’s a weekend warrior/car show cruiser not a daily. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks
I track often (road course, not auto cross) thus my answer is absolutely yes, it’s all necessary plus some. It’s your car to tear up as you desire but cutting corners on being safe, not only for yourself but the others around you is a hard NO. There is most likely a tech inspection to complete in advance of the event as well and submitting technical inspection paperwork with a myriad of check boxes regarding being safe on track. Go get new brake pads and put them on and bed them in 2x before arriving to the event, save the old brake pads as spares and bring with you, no need to swap out the brake pad sensors if they are still intact. Having to swap pads track side is easily doable but not having to worry about it or missing out on a session because you didn’t prepare in advance is throwing money and track time opportunities out the window. Definitely swap of the brake fluid with CASTROL SRF RACING or MOTUL 660, it would be a mistake to think you will not boil brake fluid and lose pressure resulting in an accident. Change the rear diff fluid, totally drain the radiator and refill with purified drinking water (not distilled) along with some VP Racing Fuels Cool Down or all out VP Stay Frosty. Change the oil and filter per the track prep document. Check your air filter, swap if necessary or gently blow it out with compressed air from the inside to out. Perform a suspension bolt check and check for fluid leaks. Go get a track alignment, the one in the track prep document will be good enough for you this first time out. Bring a spare quart of oil with you along with an additional gallon of water for the radiator just in case you need to work out some bubbles from the earlier swap. Every time you come off track and park Do Not Set The Emergency Brake and check fluids for level and for leaks, let the tires cool and adjust pressure as necessary right before going back out. As I tell anyone who is going to track their car, if you cannot afford to wad the car up like a piece of paper and throw it over your shoulder and leave the track at the end of the day without it, you have probably brought the wrong car to the track. I always buy track day insurance, for every event, accidents happen regardless of which run group you are in, experience level or the technicalities / character of the track. I hope you at least have a Snell 2015 helmet or better, fire retardant racing gloves, fire extinguisher secured in the car and a body harness Hans for use with your 3 point safety belt since you don’t have a race seat and multipoint harness. If you are intending to click off triple digits on the speedometer (I mean you paid for those numbers on the gauge cluster, might as well use all of them) you really need a full fire suit, underwear, socks, balaclava and shoes. If you don’t have fire resistant clothing at least wear all cotton clothes so when you catch fire they don’t melt to your skin. Hope this helps with your questions and hope you have a great, safe and successful time out in the Z! Now time for FULL SEND?

Last edited by AustexaSS; 06-21-2021 at 06:29 PM.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
markstoys

Drives: 2015 Z28 #141
Everything AustexaSS said is accurate--but may be a little overkill for your first time out. As far as safety goes, you should do everything you have the time and resources to do--but a lot depends on how hard you drive (or plan to drive) the car. I will say that no matter what the oil/filter, diff fluid, brake fluid and pads need to be new or nearly new. Even stock brake fluid is probably fine as long it is fresh. You said the car has 12K miles on it and you don't know if it has been tracked, then if you are not 100% sure of the condition of those parts then replace them. You asked about the pad thickness--I just changed mine but don't remember how thick they are (the car is in storage, so I can't go check). From memory they were around 3/8"--don't quote me on that, but it's something if no one else chimes in. I am assuming they are providing loaner helmets, if not make sure you have one.

If you are a 'full send', 'red mist' kind of driver, then definitely do everything that AustexaSS said. But if you have never got your oil temp anywhere near 285, or have never got enough temp in your tires to add 4-6psi to the cold pressure--then you should take it easy your first time out which will require less prep. Beginner groups are always relatively slow anyway. Learn the track, get used to going fast around other cars, have fun. I seriously doubt you will use 50% of the car's ability your first time out--no matter how fast you think you were going. After this experience you will have a much better idea of how much safety/car prep you want to do.

I drive my cars 10/10ths on the track--and I do pretty much everything AustexaSS does--but that was not how I started. over the years, I added things to my prep/safety equipment list as I got faster and drove more aggressively. 20 years ago, my track prep was to jump in the car, fill it with gas and drive to the track--and hope it didn't break down on the way! But back then my car was slow and I drove it slow.

I looked at the track map, and that Grand Full Course looks fun. It has some high speed sections, but you are not required to fully send it all the time--just stay off line and learn to point by if you are not ready to go that fast. I'm sure the organizers will cover all that stuff. The lower speed sections look like they will be challenging and fun regardless of your experience level.

Have Fun and Good Luck!!!
markstoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #4
teamclark

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I will also be running the CamaroFest track day in my Z. I have run the course before and regularly run HPDE events. If you need any help or advice don't hesitate to come and say hello.
Attached Images

teamclark is offline   Reply With Quote