Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
epik_leprikon

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
P2635/P069E check engine codes (fuel pump)

As indicated in the title, I have a check engine light that has been popping on intermittently that registers the mentioned codes.

-P2635- Fuel pump “A” Low Flow/Performance
-P069E- Fuel Pump Control Module Request malfunction Indication Lamp Illumination

The modifications I have were put on two years ago this summer (which I will list below) and I had the light turn on ONCE in the first year, but since last fall it comes on almost every other time I get it out and go WOT. Since last fall the performance has had a noticeable drop off. Cars that I would walk away from previously are now hanging neck to neck and on occasion pulling away. My last time out the check engine light popped on while making a pull with a 2017 Camaro SS 6 spd, headers and exhaust only, (mine is A8), and he pulled away fairly easily. In case anyone is wondering, I can promise this was not due to any driver error on my part or a more experienced driver lol.

My mods
-Tsp stage 2 cam with fuel lobe
-tsp heads, DOD delete
-Borla catless full exhaust
-kooks headers
-rotofab intake
-ethanol conversion (I run e85 always)
-tuned by local shop

I’m fairly confident the fuel pump is in fact the issue, and the check engine light is not just a bi-product of the mods I’ve had installed confusing the ECU. Symptoms I’ve had are as follows.

- will sometimes completely drop off/cut out after giving full throttle
- hesitate/“spit” in higher rpms of WOT
- overall lower performance, does not pull nearly as well under heavy load

Apologies if I am being overly thorough, just trying to answer questions I predict will follow before they get asked. My main question is, assuming my gremlin is in fact the fuel pump, is this simply a faulty factory fuel pump? Or am I in need of a high performance pump with the modifications I have?

Thanks in advance for all tips and feedback! It’s greatly appreciated!
epik_leprikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #2
Puddin

With the mods you have you should be good on fuel with the stock stuff. Since it does sound like one of your pumps is on its way out though you might as well just upgrade it now and be done with it that way your only hit with labor once. I definitely wouldn't be doing any more wot or things will definitely get more expensive
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
These codes are related to AFM actuator valves. Were yours plugged in and ziptied after you installed your exhaust? Or did you get the exhaust model that keeps the AFM valves in place? AFM is probably disabled from the tune, but the car literally still checks if the valves work when starting the car. I had the same codes and had to replace my AFM actuator since they failed even tho AFM is disabled from the tune. I thought it was my fuel pump, but it wasn't.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by epik_leprikon View Post
As indicated in the title, I have a check engine light that has been popping on intermittently that registers the mentioned codes.

-P2635- Fuel pump “A” Low Flow/Performance
-P069E- Fuel Pump Control Module Request malfunction Indication Lamp Illumination

The modifications I have were put on two years ago this summer (which I will list below) and I had the light turn on ONCE in the first year, but since last fall it comes on almost every other time I get it out and go WOT. Since last fall the performance has had a noticeable drop off. Cars that I would walk away from previously are now hanging neck to neck and on occasion pulling away. My last time out the check engine light popped on while making a pull with a 2017 Camaro SS 6 spd, headers and exhaust only, (mine is A8), and he pulled away fairly easily. In case anyone is wondering, I can promise this was not due to any driver error on my part or a more experienced driver lol.

My mods
-Tsp stage 2 cam with fuel lobe
-tsp heads, DOD delete
-Borla catless full exhaust
-kooks headers
-rotofab intake
-ethanol conversion (I run e85 always)
-tuned by local shop

I’m fairly confident the fuel pump is in fact the issue, and the check engine light is not just a bi-product of the mods I’ve had installed confusing the ECU. Symptoms I’ve had are as follows.

- will sometimes completely drop off/cut out after giving full throttle
- hesitate/“spit” in higher rpms of WOT
- overall lower performance, does not pull nearly as well under heavy load

Apologies if I am being overly thorough, just trying to answer questions I predict will follow before they get asked. My main question is, assuming my gremlin is in fact the fuel pump, is this simply a faulty factory fuel pump? Or am I in need of a high performance pump with the modifications I have?

Thanks in advance for all tips and feedback! It’s greatly appreciated!

These codes are related to AFM actuator valves. Were yours plugged in and ziptied after you installed your exhaust? Or did you get the exhaust model that keeps the AFM valves in place? AFM is probably disabled from the tune, but the car literally still checks if the valves work when starting the car. I had the same codes and had to replace my AFM actuator since they failed even tho AFM is disabled from the tune. I thought it was my fuel pump, but it wasn't.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
epik_leprikon

Appreciate the feedback guys! I dropped the car off at the shop this morning. Hopefully this time around they are able to track the issue down and get it fixed. The CEL is still on and I was able to give them a little better description of the symptoms, so hopefully that helps. Fingers crossed!

I did also ask them to go ahead and do a dyno run/tune while it’s in there to compare where it’s at now compared to when they did all the mods. Figured that would be a solid measure of whether or not it’s actually fixed.

Last edited by epik_leprikon; 05-15-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
epik_leprikon

Just heard back from the shop. Low pressure pump in the tank is failing. Gotta drop the tank, which isn’t cheap, but at least it looks like the issue will be potentially solved.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #7
16ssFR

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by epik_leprikon View Post
Just heard back from the shop. Low pressure pump in the tank is failing. Gotta drop the tank, which isn’t cheap, but at least it looks like the issue will be potentially solved.
Did you get it fixed? Getting the same code after installing Kooks headers with 3in exhaust and Xpipe. Deleted AFM valves but plugged them in and zip tied them. My tuner turned off AFM as well but the light is still on. Also installed a DSX flex fuel kit and LT2 intake manifold.
16ssFR is offline   Reply With Quote