#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
RE71R vs GYSC3

Track tire review! Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R vs. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3. Which brand has a longer name? What is a better Time Trial Tire? Why can't my 12-year-old hold a camcorder stationary? ��

Last edited by Badmojo; 03-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
KeithO

Drives: 01 Z28, 1990 NASCAR Busch North Car
My kind of post - a conclusion backed up with data.

Thanks.
KeithO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
What lap number were the times and G data taken? Specifically, I'm guessing that the first couple laps on the RE71R are their fastest, but maybe the 10th lap or so on the GYs is the fastest for them, and may be faster than the 10th lap on the Potenzas. What are your thoughts and experience?
Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
What lap number were the times and G data taken? Specifically, I'm guessing that the first couple laps on the RE71R are their fastest, but maybe the 10th lap or so on the GYs is the fastest for them, and may be faster than the 10th lap on the Potenzas. What are your thoughts and experience?

It was the first flying lap on the RE71R. It was the 4th lap (not including the out lap) on the GYSC3. I typically see the fastest times on the 3rd or 4th lap on the GYSC3, but this could be due to my starting tire pressures.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Thank you for the work you put in.

I have some questions... Did the RE71R gain an advantage/disadvantage from the smaller diameter? If so, how much? I assume you were running 305s RE71s up front also, how much more lateral grip did you get by running a wider tire in the front? What was the weight difference between the 19" and 20" bare wheels?

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Great video and thanks for putting it together with data, but I'll comment the same here as I did on Youtube. If you ran 305/30/19 square G3s on your Apex wheels the gap will shrink.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Great video and thanks for putting it together with data, but I'll comment the same here as I did on Youtube. If you ran 305/30/19 square G3s on your Apex wheels the gap will shrink.
^^Agree without holding the sizes and weights similar it's hard to tell if it's the compound or the rotational weight reduction (and shorter gears and more available torque ) advantage.

I am really surprised OP was able to get about ~8 events with RE71Rs. In my experience, they were HC'd out after the 4th event and that was on an S2000 (I know many people have similar results on different cars too). The treadwear didn't seem bad but blueish color was very visible and they're off pace about 1-1.5 sec compared to when they're fresh.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
^^Agree without holding the sizes and weights similar it's hard to tell if it's the compound or the rotational weight reduction (and shorter gears and more available torque ) advantage.

I am really surprised OP was able to get about ~8 events with RE71Rs. In my experience, they were HC'd out after the 4th event and that was on an S2000 (I know many people have similar results on different cars too). The treadwear didn't seem bad but blueish color was very visible and they're off pace about 1-1.5 sec compared to when they're fresh.

The 8 events were on the GYSC3's. I'm anticipating 6 (max) out of the RE71Rs with rotations.

Wheels/tires save ~10 lbs per corner.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Let me be clear. I still think the REs will be faster than the same size G3s on those wheels, but I think it will be a lot closer than 2 seconds.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Nice vid and thx for posting it. Half a second variance in one corner seems a bit unbelievable to me, as that is a huge delta.
Given the set up differences, and ultimately more tire with the RE71R set up (plus more torgue etc), i would not go as far as to definitely say the TIRE alone is responsible for any delta per se. Ive run RE71R in 295 square on stock rims and they were no faster for me.
Also, there are laps posted in Fastest Laps, where G3 is quicker vs RE71R 305 square (both very fast drivers).
Plus Provoste came just only 1 second+ slower at VIR with G3s vs his lap on slicks. Mind you different day.
And then we have RealJA laptimes vs R7...
So, i think it all "depends". But one thing i am pretty certain of: i could not shave off 2 seconds from my times, unless i upgraded to a different class tire.
Just my musings Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

The PDR does the "sector", so it isn't 0.5 in a single corner. I'll go back and look at the data, but I imagine I carried a lot more speed into the the corner off the straight.

I don't want to put words in Eric's mouth, but he was pitted next to me at the SCCA Time Trial Nats. He was running Hankook RS4's and commented that he wished he was on RE71R's.

My video is just a data point. It is nearly impossible to do a scientific tire test.

Some of the comments, including from TheRealJA, that I've received suggested that going from 20's to 19's and shaving 10+ lbs. per corner may have had a significant impact. I may eventually test it out and run 305-30-19 GYSC's at the same track. It is just difficult to find "comparison worthy" laps without traffic and similar ambient conditions. If the 305-30-19 GYSC3's were closer in time, then they are a much better value. The reason the RE71R's will probably still be better for Time Trials, is they are up to temp on the first flying lap when traffic is usually not an issue and the car isn't smoking hot yet.

I also had a 2-3 second improvement switching from worn 20" GYSC3s to fresh 19" RE71Rs at NCM Motorsports park, but it's not a good data point. I was learning the track and was picking up time every session on track during the event.

Debate, informed opinions, and musings are all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nice vid and thx for posting it. Half a second variance in one corner seems a bit unbelievable to me, as that is a huge delta.
Given the set up differences, and ultimately more tire with the RE71R set up (plus more torgue etc), i would not go as far as to definitely say the TIRE alone is responsible for any delta per se. Ive run RE71R in 295 square on stock rims and they were no faster for me.
Also, there are laps posted in Fastest Laps, where G3 is quicker vs RE71R 305 square (both very fast drivers).
Plus Provoste came just only 1 second+ slower at VIR with G3s vs his lap on slicks. Mind you different day.
And then we have RealJA laptimes vs R7...
So, i think it all "depends". But one thing i am pretty certain of: i could not shave off 2 seconds from my times, unless i upgraded to a different class tire.
Just my musings Cheers!

Last edited by Badmojo; 03-10-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added more musings
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Good point. The finish line is right around the braking point for turn 1. I carried 3-5 mph more through the entire brake zone and then got to full throttle on exit much faster without PTM kicking in on the fast lap. I got to full throttle later and PTM kicked in on the slower lap.

The time delta entering the turn 1 was already .27 seconds. The exit without PTM kicking in was another .12 seconds.

If you're interested, you can watch the first part of this video to visualize what I'm talking about. This is the "fast" lap in the data comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Just my musings Cheers!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I have data on my car with 20" G3's, 19" G3R's and the 305/30/19 RE71R's mounted on ZL1 1LE rims. The 20" G3's are a great tire for size and value. I've had a set of ZL1 1LE sized G3's on the shelf for months. One of these days, I will mount them and run them. They have much closer to the advertised 8/32" they are advertised as vs. the 7 to 8/32" that the 285 & 305/30/20's measure out as.

The RE71R's, as mentioned and we all know, warm up way quicker than either G3 or G3R's, and are quick on track for a couple of laps. I had to turn a water hose (literally) on them to cool the tread down on a 85F day after only part of a 20-30 minute session. Within 10-minutes, they were greasy.

I only am holding onto them for a 200TW Time Trial event if I needed them. I signed up then cancelled out of the SCCA TT at Eagles Canyon in June. Might sign up again as it gets closer, but, I was told on Monday, due to a bunch of critical work projects, I am penciled in to work that whole weekend - for now...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Good point. The finish line is right around the braking point for turn 1. I carried 3-5 mph more through the entire brake zone and then got to full throttle on exit much faster without PTM kicking in on the fast lap. I got to full throttle later and PTM kicked in on the slower lap.

The time delta entering the turn 1 was already .27 seconds. The exit without PTM kicking in was another .12 seconds.

If you're interested, you can watch the first part of this video to visualize what I'm talking about. This is the "fast" lap in the data comparison.

Thx for the vid always bags of fun to watch and will do so later this eve.

Agree with your previous comments too. Too much going on for a scientist proclamation, that was my general point

I know i can push the car pretty well, as my times are on par + - venue dependent with local time trial championships for the class (i am just running for pure fun and personal satisfaction of passing uber cars now ).

Having said that, RE71R is a very nice tire, defo time trials design and also more $. I liked them quite a bit even in 295 square, but not for the price premium and slight issues in very fast sweepers.

Anyway, it is all good and fun to chat about. And great for us to have choices, incl different sizes etc. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote