Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Test Drove Camaro Damaged It

Was driving along and seen a 95 Z28 for sale at a small used car dealer, stopped to check it and they talked me into driving it. Well backing it out of the spot it was in was tight and I hit a truck that was parked in the way with lower nose pass side of the car. Owner wanted me to pay for the damage but I refused. He was in the car with me and never said a word that I was near the truck. Just yelled WHOA after I hit it.

The car has 165k on it, is bright red and has multiple paint jobs on it. So the paint flaked off in a spot about 6 inchs long below the frt fender on the lower nose. I kinda thought he was joking when he asked for more than a few 100 dollars for something a little touch up paint would easily hide.

I asked if he had insurance to cover it, he said yes but smartly stated" WHY SHOULD I"? Umm its your business. He was starting to get aggressive towards me so I gave him my insurance info but I know they won't touch this.

I always assumed the dealer assumes the risk if you drive their cars.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Not sure how this works, but not sure why you would assume that...

I mean, if you went for a test drive and slammed into the back of someone is the dealer liable? Would you not be on the hook for not only the damage to the person you hit, but the car you were driving as well?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
CamaroBarb
Banned

All dealers have Fleet insurance.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Walk away... it's not on you.

I have a friend who took his Nissan Altima in for repair. During the post-repair test drive the dealer's mechanic totaled it. Guess who's insurance had to pay?

Not the dealer's.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Depends. When you take a dealer's car you are taking it covered under your insurance but that could be state but state laws. Any good dealer moves the car into the open front before you get in because they usually have the cars packed in like sardines. Used car lots are run by shmucks half the time though.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
CamaroBarb
Banned

Its who owns the car.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
CamaroBarb
Banned

Yeah this was in a bad spot, I'm a decent driver but I honestly thought he was watching his side. He never said a word and I didn't realize it was that close to the truck till it touched. Thing is I barely touched it and the old multiple paint just flaked off like old candy. Personally my old 98 red Camaro had similar damage and I touched it up with a 10 dollar can of spray touch up, it looked fine. This dood wants to repaint the entire frt nose!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Other than that, how did the test drive go?
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
CamaroBarb
Banned

I didn't drive it....... lol Stood there arguing for a while and I could see he was getting aggressive. People have been killed over less. I gave him my info and left. He called my Insurance.. my insurance called me and said to forget about it. Dealers insurance covers it. Seriously up close the car was ok but rough, paint was shiny but thick painted over old crap. Honestly no one would notice a 6 inch spray repair on the lower nose if you know what I mean. Sorry for what happened but it is what it is.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
CamaroBarb
Banned

The more I look at older cars the more I like my newer Camaro. Tough to find anything nice and if you do its insanely over priced and still doesn't run or handle like my newer one. Gotta admit its a blast to drive, looks great and is a sexy beast. PS its very sensitive to fuel though LMAO aint we all?

Big note on frt door. STOP LOOKING FOR THE PAST!
Old 03-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
You drove it, you damaged it, you pay for it. That is why dealerships ask for a copy of your dl and insurance before test drives.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #12
CamaroBarb
Banned

But I didn't drive it, I moved it. Never asked for anything. They ask for a valid drivers L but thats for their fleet insurance requirement.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Too bad you couldn't get a legitimate ride going. I know most of the Gen 4 cars I have seen have been ridden hard and put away wet. Quite the challenge to find a nice one at a decent price.I know you have had some issues with your '14 but I think you should just hang on to it OR if you get overwhelmed by it's problems sell it and pick up a nice SS model. Very good prices out there right now. Some decent deals in the "for sale" dept of this forum.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #14
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
But I didn't drive it, I moved it. Never asked for anything. They ask for a valid drivers L but thats for their fleet insurance requirement.

"Well backing it out of the spot it was in was tight and I hit a truck that was parked in the way with lower nose pass side of the car."

"I" must mean something different where you are from.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote