Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
rare difficulty engaging 2nd gear

A handful of times over the 6k miles I've driven my 2018 1LE, I've noticed that going into 2nd doesn't always work. The knob will stop. Then I engage the clutch and the engine revs without power going to wheels. Then if I try to slide the knob even further there is a slight grinding sound. Ideas?
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
relatively common, and normally solved/reduced with a fluid change. popular ones on here are Royal Purple syncromax and redline d4. personally, i swapped to fresh factory fluid and it made a big difference as well. way cheaper and accomplished the same goal for me.

i've tried them all, wasn't impressed with d4. was impressed with syncromax but fresh oem did the job for me

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
CPM

Drives: Black 2018 SS 1LE
You're not just hitting the skip shift "feature," are you?
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
AmazinglySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
relatively common, and normally solved/reduced with a fluid change. popular ones on here are Royal Purple syncromax and redline d4. personally, i swapped to fresh factory fluid and it made a big difference as well. way cheaper and accomplished the same goal for me.

i've tried them all, wasn't impressed with d4. was impressed with syncromax but fresh oem did the job for me

Car is one year old and still under warranty. Is this something they would change given the symptoms I'm reporting?
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
CPM asked once. I’ll ask again.

Did you install a skip shift eliminator? If not, then RTFM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Tim M

My car does it when I'm shifting right above idle...last synchro doesn't quite allow it to click fully into gear.

Changing the fluid reduces the issue, but doesn't eliminate it.

Interesting, I reported this to Chevrolet during a service visit and their response was the same as above..."Skip shift feature." Not quite in my case. No change to the situation after 15,000 miles.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Skip shift is a possible cause.
I had issues with the first shift of the day into second gear, and second gear always felt a little notchy.
Swapped out to the RP syncromax and the condition is all but gone.
Wanted to try Motul ATF but picked up the RP locally.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
Zvelts

My 1LE is doing exaxtly the same thing, and the dealer told me it was the skip shift feature also :thumbdown. They changed the fluid with the factory one and it's better.
Next year i Will try Royal purple
Zvelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
I don't even notice the skip shift from 1st to 2nd. Then again, I hold 1st until 3-4000 before shifting unless I am gettin on it.
All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvelts View Post
My 1LE is doing exaxtly the same thing, and the dealer told me it was the skip shift feature also :thumbdown. They changed the fluid with the factory one and it's better.
Next year i Will try Royal purple
They are probably right too. Even when it isn't skip shift engaging, because of that stupid feature, you don't get into 2nd as often as you would normally. For that reason, 2nd probably doesn't wear/break in at the same rate as the others and gives you engagement issues. Last autocross, I had a ton of issues getting 2nd gear in during launches.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
When I bought my 2015 last year I had this same issue. The last owner said he had the same issue as well and thought that the linkage needed adjusted. Keep in mind the skip shift feature was not engaged causing the problem. Well I ended up installing the slp skip shift eliminator only to disable the system with plans to check out the linkage. In doing so, it somehow addressed the 2nd gear issue and I haven't had a problem since....almost 1,000miles. Every shift into 2nd is effortless and consistent (almost seems to suck the shifter) into place now. Not sure if this would apply to your car but figured I'd just share.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
Tim M

I'd disagree on skip shift for mine. It feels like it gets stuck between the synchro and the gear, I let the clutch out and it pops out to neutral unless I pull it into gear and it grinds. This only occurs at idle speed/rpm. Obviously I can avoid that area...but it won't get better with time. It is pretty minor.

I understand the skip shift is just a solenoid - either blocks the lever movement or not. Mine has been deactivated...

Most importantly, absolutely no issues at any other time especially under heavy accel.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I've experienced this. The shifter seems to be in 2nd gear. giving it gas and no go, as if it's in neutral. Leaving the shifter where it is long enough and not touch it, the gear(or synchros?) grinds. Even pushing clutch pedal down and pushing the shifter more into 2nd causes it to grind. I'd have to go into neutral and shift back into 2nd gear.

What I do now is firmly shift into 2nd. Baby-ing seems to increase the chance of it happening.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
It was notchy for me too going into second gear.
I noticed if I double clutch it would be smooth, and then I changed the fluid to Amsoil, and it has stayed smooth without double clutching.

If it's not the skip shift, and you changed your fluid, then I would ask the Service Foreman to take a ride with you and let him see what you're talking about, then have him/her drive to see if it is replicated.