Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
faSSteddie

Drives: 2013 Victory red/white stripes SS
Fuse for gauge lighting

I have two Speedhut gauges and I want them to light up when it is dark outside and to not light up when it is daylight.
I wired them up so that they get the 12v power via the F17 "power outlet" fuse in the fuse box by the drivers side dash. I then used the F4 "Clstr" for the needle and dial lighting by using a tap-a-fuse thinking it would act like the instrumented cluster lighting. It does not.. I I cannot figure out why.
The cluster acts as it is supposed to, is off in daylight and lighting up when it gets dark ( as it always has) but the gauges are on constantly, they don't turn off. The cluster is off in daylight and the gauges are lit up lit up like a Christmas tree... key out, get out of car, close door ... you guessed it, gauges still on.. they don't ever go off... why why why???? Dangit!!!
Can someone please, please tell me what I am doing wrong or more importantly, which fuse I can tap into to get the gauges to light up only at night??
faSSteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Try the yellow wire in the four-pack gauge harness. I can't recall now if that is actually off during the day, but it should be. That wire is called "LED Backlight Dimming Control".
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
faSSteddie

that sounds like that will work...there are a ton of threads on gauges and lighting stuff, are there any pics or descriptions of where this yellow wire is? I looked up and I thought one thread said there are only three wires going to the 4 pack cluster gauges red, black, and green...so I am confused.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Umm. It's in the gauge harness. One end is attached to the back of the gauges when you pull out the shifter bezel.

Lower-tier cars do have fewer wires.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
faSSteddie

Thank you Sjmautoprod, I was successful thanks to your info. I used the yellow wire to the 4 pack gauges and my Speedhut gauges light as they should now. I do appreciate it, greatly. Thank you sir.