Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Winterize SS 1LE

I know we dont like to think about it here in Michigan....but I need to start to buy things to winterize my SS 1LE. I have never stored a car before so I do not know where to begin or what I should purchase. I will store for around 6 months.

The car will be stored inside on the ground (not heated). I was looking to get the OEM outdoor cover on it, then put it inside a CarJacket (https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/). Or should I get the indoor cover? Both? Thoughts?

However, with this I cannot connect the battery. Should I remove the battery? If I remove it, should I still plug it in?

Do the Goodyear 1LE tires need to be removed? Or will they be safe when storing.

Do I need to put something in the gas tank?

Like I said, I dont know where to begin so any info will help!
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I’m in the same boat.....I plan to let her sit, in the garage. I’ll start once a week and let it warm up. Not doing anything special.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
So, there have been many threads on this. You can go back to the Camaro5 forum as well, where people have been discussing storing cars for years now.

My 2010 is stored every year for 6 months. The garage is unheated but it is on the first floor of a two story house, and the temp is always above freezing.

I would do everything possible to keep the battery in the car and connected to a battery tender. That is much more important than putting the car in a bubble. When you say "on the ground" do you mean a dirt floor? That doesn't sound great for moisture, but I've never done it. Maybe a tarp on the ground? Hopefully someone with experience will comment.

You should put in a bottle of gas stabilizer and fill the tank. Also change the oil some time shortly before storage.

The other big deal is rodents. I have a professional pest control service maintain bait boxes in the garage and throughout the house. This has been effective. I've only had rodent problems in cars left outdoors and used daily. Mice love a warm engine at the end of the day.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Should be plenty of info in these threads. If you need more just type 'winter storage' in the search function top right of bar. Use google search though, posts and threads search sucks.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254887

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179476

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23114

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112228

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320252

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU120 View Post
I’m in the same boat.....I plan to let her sit, in the garage. I’ll start once a week and let it warm up. Not doing anything special.
Starting once a week is exactly the WRONG approach. It's not enough to maintain the battery, and the exhaust will never get hot enough to evaporate all the water that condenses there when the pipes are cold. Also moisture will build up in the crank case. Get a battery tender and don't start the car unless you intend to drive it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Well said rocket man
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Starting once a week is exactly the WRONG approach. It's not enough to maintain the battery, and the exhaust will never get hot enough to evaporate all the water that condenses there when the pipes are cold. Also moisture will build up in the crank case. Get a battery tender and don't start the car unless you intend to drive it.
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
for 6 months i might expect flat spotting of the tires, might need overinflated or put up on blocks.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

If you are to drive it, how long should it be driven? Last winter I always made sure it was driven for 40 minutes constantly running and moving when I took it out.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I've never winterized a car until now so this is my plan based on everything I've aggregated from this forum:

• Changing the oil and filter.
  • A bottle of Stabil in the tank before last fill-up. Drive for 15 minutes or so to get the treated gas through the system.
  • Connecting a Battery Tender to the terminals under the hood.
  • Pumping the tires up to 42-44 psi.
  • Vapor barrier (thick tarp) on the floor under the car. Going to the carpet store and buying thick berber remnant to place small piece of carpet under each tire.
  • Steel wool in the tail pipes with a reminder on the dash to remove it when starting.
  • No parking brake.
  • No starting until Spring.
Since it will be in the garage that I'm using, the door will be up every day so I don't want a cover on it that will billow and scratch the paint. The CarBag is intriguing but I worry about the same thing (plus it doesn't say anything about it being connected to a Battery Tender while in the CarBag) so I'm going to just leave it uncovered. It might be a little dusty in the Spring but nothing that can't be hosed off.

Everyone has their opinions about the best way to do this and I'm sure that no matter what you do, 99% of the time, the car will be fine. My plan might not be perfect but I guarantee it's better than driving it in the salt for 6 months.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
My father used the Car bag on his 96 Corvette. He just disconnected the battery, used an indoor cover, and in the car bag it went with a few things to absorb moisture. Then there is no need for the carpet pieces or steel wool in the pipes. I was thinking to do the same but take the battery fully out and keep it charged outside the car. The car bag works really well when you have a cover on the car as well
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Luckily, my days of Michigan winters are long gone. But for those braving the cold up there, I would also suggest mousetraps around the garage.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
Snowbird12

Drives: 2017 2 SS vert
From what I am told by hot rodders in the north
Mice will not walk on plastic tarps, they dont like the feel and noise
I put high pitched rodent plug ins and dyer aheets under and in the car
I stored my vettes with 50 pounds of air in the tires on plywood
I always took the batteries out as I am in the south for 6 months, never had an issue
My last Vette was a 2010

Just my 2 cents. 1/5 cents canadian
Snowbird12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird12 View Post
From what I am told by hot rodders in the north
Mice will not walk on plastic tarps, they dont like the feel and noise
I put high pitched rodent plug ins and dyer aheets under and in the car
I stored my vettes with 50 pounds of air in the tires on plywood
I always took the batteries out as I am in the south for 6 months, never had an issue
My last Vette was a 2010

Just my 2 cents. 1/5 cents canadian
Snow bird....
What’s up with using plywood under the tires? Dryer sheets? I have a vert with leather interior and will store it from first frost to mid March. I am paranoid mostly about rodents getting in my attached garage, but not too worried about a dead battery...
I had a 67 Camaro that I had been storing two winters, and in both spring start ups, it fired right up.
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote