Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Winter Tire Square Setup

Anyone run a smaller square set up on their 1LE? I plan to daily this in Michigan.
I found this set on tire rack for a good price. It doesnt show up when I select 2SS 1LE Track pack. But it does show up when I search 2SS with ZL1 Brembo Brake kit. Would I need spacers with these or will I be able to put them on with no rub or issues? They come in 18's or 19's. Thoughts?
Attached Images

artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Captain Obvious
^Name^ | Things I Say -->

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Hyper Blue
I have 18x8 20 offset with the same size tires, they fit absolutely perfectly. You'll need to check the offset of those wheels, then figure out how they compare. I don't think there's a whole lot of room on the outside of the tire with my setup.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Based on a few inputs, I think if the offset of 8.5" wide wheels is between 20 and 26, you'd probably be fine. Any less and who knows. Some googling got me this link which leads me to believe the offset of these wheels is 15mm. I think they'll rub. Check out the pic of my setup below. The calculator says the wheels in your post will poke 11mm further out.
Attached Images

Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I have 18x8 20 offset with the same size tires, they fit absolutely perfectly. You'll need to check the offset of those wheels, then figure out how they compare. I don't think there's a whole lot of room on the outside of the tire with my setup.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Based on a few inputs, I think if the offset of 8.5" wide wheels is between 20 and 26, you'd probably be fine. Any less and who knows. Some googling got me this link which leads me to believe the offset of these wheels is 15mm. I think they'll rub. Check out the pic of my setup below. The calculator says the wheels in your post will poke 11mm further out.
Yah they are a 15mm offset.
Do you have a link or pics of the rims you are running with the tires?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
So,,,, We change the tires and wheels all around the 4 corners of our 1LE.
What does this do for Alignment?
Is our car tracking the road correctly?
Do the Techs at your Chevy Dealer even care?
Do they even know?

How are the tires going to wear?

Does it even matter?
This is what I would like to know.

I phoned my Dealer shortly after I purchased my Car.
I phoned and asked if could purchase all season rubber for my 1LE so I could ride her past October.
Totally confused.
They continuously picked up their playbook and read off the exact same summer tires that came with my Car.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Yah they are a 15mm offset.
Do you have a link or pics of the rims you are running with the tires?
Sure, I've attached below. They're cheapie Drag wheels. You could do some measuring - those wheels might fit. Stock 8.5 fronts are 25 offset, so the setup you describe would be 10mm further outboard. Measure it up, maybe it'll work.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Captain Obvious

These ones are the exact same width and offset of the stock wheels, if you're into this sort of thing. I'm not, but they're cheap at least.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...embo+Brake+Kit
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
I daily mine as well in Michigan and went with a cheap set of Drag DR37 wheels from discount tire in 19x9.5 with 285mm wheels and required no spacers. Previously I had 245s and personally would never go back to a smaller tire. The handling and dry grip just wasn't what I wanted it to be. I used this calculator: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to calculate the aftermarket wheels backspacing/offset I needed compared to stock and it worked perfectly.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
I daily mine as well in Michigan and went with a cheap set of Drag DR37 wheels from discount tire in 19x9.5 with 285mm wheels and required no spacers. Previously I had 245s and personally would never go back to a smaller tire. The handling and dry grip just wasn't what I wanted it to be. I used this calculator: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to calculate the aftermarket wheels backspacing/offset I needed compared to stock and it worked perfectly.
Do you any pics or link to these tires and rims? Arent the 285s too fat for Michigan Winters? This will be my only car to daily in this winter wonderland of a state
Old 08-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
FlashBang23

Quote:
Do you any pics or link to these tires and rims? Arent the 285s too fat for Michigan Winters? This will be my only car to daily in this winter wonderland of a state
Its my only car for now as well, cant seem to wrap my head around driving something that isn't 400+hp and RWD/Manual lol.......keep flirting with leasing a truck. Anyways, I only had a problem once with the 285s and it was because I tried going out on that one Friday where it never stopped snowing on an unplowed road. Traction actually wasn't even my problem, clearance over the snow was lol. After having 245s and now 285s for winter theres no way I would go back. Sacrificing the small amount of snow traction the more narrow tires provide for dry grip and handling was 100% worth it IMO.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-whe...-dr-37/p/50127

Tires were Michelin Alpin Sport, cant remember the profile off the top of my head but i think they were 285/35s (way better than the Blizzaks on my wife's charger IMO)

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...psswwg12lp.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...psfpghdkdh.jpg
Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
So on this topic, I don't need true winter tires here in Maryland, but do need all-seasons for the cold months. I was thinking of putting Continental DWS06 tires all the way around on the SS 1LE rims -- OEM size 285/30/20 on the fronts and 315/35/20 on the rears. The rear tires would be 10mm wider and just a hair taller.

Think this would cause any significant issues?

Last edited by JD_; 08-08-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
FlashBang23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
So on this topic, I don't need true winter tires here in Maryland, but do need all-seasons for the cold months. I was thinking of putting Continental DWS06 tires all the way around on the SS 1LE rims -- OEM size 285/30/20 on the fronts and 315/35/20 on the rears. The rear tires would be 10mm wider and just a hair taller.

Think this would cause any significant issues?
You'll be .2" closer to your strut and .75" closer to the top of your fender liner. Top of my head that sounds too tall but I have never really looked into going to a taller tire.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
You'll be .2" closer to your strut and .75" closer to the top of your fender liner. Top of my head that sounds too tall but I have never really looked into going to a taller tire.

Yeah, just took a look at willitfit and i think it would be too close for comfort. Another site seems to suggest that a square set of 285/30/20 would fit front and rear.
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Anyone run a smaller square set up on their 1LE? I plan to daily this in Michigan.
I found this set on tire rack for a good price. It doesnt show up when I select 2SS 1LE Track pack. But it does show up when I search 2SS with ZL1 Brembo Brake kit. Would I need spacers with these or will I be able to put them on with no rub or issues? They come in 18's or 19's. Thoughts?
Im probably going to with that wheel in a 19 with DWS06s now that I've seen them on a car.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The whole winter tire thing should be a sticky with all these threads merged.

Here's my winter setup: Verde from Tire Rack, 19x8.5 et15 front and rear with Pirelli Sottozero 3's in 245/45-19. Nice and narrow for cutting through the snow, but definitely missing a bunch of dry grip.

Weekend by Ryephile, on Flickr