Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Irek
Eric

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Strange noise from the engine - any idea?

Hi Guys

I am experiencing the following strange sound from the engine of my Camaro:

Does anyone have an idea what may be the source of this rattling sound?

Do you think this may be one of the following?:

a) VALVE LIFTERS
b) VARIATOR (camshaft timing)
c) CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS

- I have checked all the devices around the engine - the sound is coming definitelly from inside of the engine
- it sounds different when the oil is warm (louder), so probably it is element which work in the oil
- I have dissasembled the engine and checked both heads - everything seems to be correct: I have checked valves, push rods, chain, loose on the pistons, but I do not know how to check the lifters

I would appreciate your advise as I got stuck with dissasembled engine :-(

Thank you in advance.
Irek

Last edited by Irek; 02-15-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Irek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
weitermachen klingt wie Rutenlager
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Irek
Eric

Vielen Dank.

I also believe it may be the rods bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
weitermachen klingt wie Rutenlager
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Jederzeit mein Freund! viel Spaß
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Sounds like that supercharger may be consuming itself with every revolution. But yeah, probably more from the bowels of the motor. And you know what bowels hold! Viel Glück with the rebuild.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Not sure if you can run without the serpentine belt but you can take it off try running engine for a short time so it doesn't overheat and see by eliminating the blower does the noise go away. Or even with the belt off spin the pulley to the blower by hand good luck man
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Irek
Eric

Thank you. Actually I tried removing the belt and it confirmed that the sound is not coming from the compressor. At the same time it is much louder from the bottom of the car.

That's why I am more and more convinced that it may be beginning of rod knock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
Not sure if you can run without the serpentine belt but you can take it off try running engine for a short time so it doesn't overheat and see by eliminating the blower does the noise go away. Or even with the belt off spin the pulley to the blower by hand good luck man
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Really sorry about that.. have you noticed the oil pressure change? Have to agree with others about lower end.

Good luck to you.. everything happens for a reason. Maybe it was time to go forged or stroker.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Irek
Eric

I did not notice anything special about the engine pressure, same level as usually. I guess I will check the bottom after the weekend :-/ But thanks for your attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Really sorry about that.. have you noticed the oil pressure change? Have to agree with others about lower end.

Good luck to you.. everything happens for a reason. Maybe it was time to go forged or stroker.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
sdynak

You could always get an oil sample analysis if you are not in a rush but that may just delay your goals also. So hard to tear her apart based on noise alone but may be saving in the long run instead of having it get worse and damage everything.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
Old 02-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Irek
Eric

I think that my next step would be to remove the oil pan and check the rod bearings.

But as I have a top open now and heads removed, I am thinking if I should change all the lifters "just in case". It would be a high cost to get to the lifters later if the heads would be back on place.

1) Do you think there is any chance that such a sound could be coming from the valve lifters?

2) Is there any way to check the lifters? Visualy they look fine, as well as the push rods.

Quote:
You could always get an oil sample analysis if you are not in a rush but that may just delay your goals also. So hard to tear her apart based on noise alone but may be saving in the long run instead of having it get worse and damage everything.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
sdynak

Lifters would be good to change regardless but sounds too early to make a list until you find the culprit. If they look ok it is unlikely that is the sound you are hearing. Would keep going as you say to the lower end. Getting the pan itself removed you would either have to cut the crossmember and brake it upon reinstall or drop the entire subframe and motor or pull it. If you have the heads off already pulling it from top may be the easiest with room at this stage.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 AM   #13
Irek
Eric

Thank you once again for your comments. After the weekend will continue this way.

Quote:
Lifters would be good to change regardless but sounds too early to make a list until you find the culprit. If they look ok it is unlikely that is the sound you are hearing. Would keep going as you say to the lower end. Getting the pan itself removed you would either have to cut the crossmember and brake it upon reinstall or drop the entire subframe and motor or pull it. If you have the heads off already pulling it from top may be the easiest with room at this stage.