#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Storing car with suspension unloaded

Would there be a problem leaving car on jack stands during the winter and leaving suspension unloaded all winter?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Camaro5.com
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
As advised by my dealer I park the Camaro on rubber matts for the winter. I was advised "hanging" the wheels/leaving the car on jackstands may expose the strut shafts to the elements and if done this way grease should be applied to the exposed part of the shafts to prevent rusting. Of course with the weight of the wheels and tires removed the exposed length of each shaft would be lessened. Hope this helps. I do not use jackstands for winter storeage.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Diesel997

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Ram Ecodiesel
I agree with what jefffox posted. I don't have a ZL1 yet but when I stored my Porsche for the winter I inflated the tires to 60 psi and never had an issue with flat spots in the spring.
Diesel997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Ditto to what jefffox wrote. Additionally, and more importantly (I believe) is the suspension's natural state is to have load on it, and that is the manner it ought to be stored. Think of it this way: would you take a large unsprung spring and store sprung for six months?

I just purchased 4 new tires and drove the car on tiresavers for the winter. The suspension is left in its' natural state, and the tiresavers keep the circular shape of the rubber intact.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
man it would never fail that when i walk into my garage i be yelling "WHO THE HELL STOLE MY RIMS"
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
So I'm not storing tires for flat spots. I'm storing eagle f1s indoors so there are not exposed to single digit temperatures during winter and car should be back on the ground by March. So just a little over 2 months suspension will be unloaded.

And for the theory of suspensions natural state is to have a load on it, how about all the loaded struts for parts that are sitting there on the shelf with no load on it uninstalled onto a suspension.

Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Have there been any problems with summer only tires cracking in sub freezing temps if the car isn’t moved? Too many folks store cars without taking off the tires with no problems.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
crunch527

Drives: Big Brown
In either case, it seems like a bunch of hassle to put a car on stands for 2 months. Your tires won't flat spot in two months. Probably have more risk of the stands failing or having an "aw shit" moment set in...

Hanging the suspension is something I just don't like to do...new or old...For example, I had a 67 vette and after upgrading all the suspension, I didn't like hanging the suspension any more than necessary...puts the suspension components at full articulation/bind...just my preference after wrenching on cars for 30+years...
crunch527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Z28pex

Drives: 2015 Z28
When I sent my torque wrenches in for calibration they were dialed all the way back. After each use I always reduced the spring tension to lowest setting. When they completed the calibration and were ready to send them back, the tech called and told me to always store the wrenches with a certian amount of spring tension, and he give the percentage to use. Just another anology.

Last edited by Z28pex; 12-28-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Z28pex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Tires degrade from exposure to UV light and elements. Sitting indoors in the cold isn't going to affect them that much.

That said, the bigger issue about storing a car on jack stands is if you ever have an emergency where you need to get the car out of the garage. I'd rather have the car on the ground where I can quickly get the car out of the garage if need be.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
rjacobs

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post

And for the theory of suspensions natural state is to have a load on it, how about all the loaded struts for parts that are sitting there on the shelf with no load on it uninstalled onto a suspension.
You've obviously never purchased shocks/struts from a store... they are banded in the compressed position.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Have there been any problems with summer only tires cracking in sub freezing temps if the car isn’t moved? Too many folks store cars without taking off the tires with no problems.
Back when the 5th gen ZL1's came out, Goodyear had posted a recommendation for the tires that recommended not driving on them under 40 degrees F, to not even store them at temps less than 20 degrees F.

Evidently the tires were subject to sidewall cracking under those conditions, so many of us that don't have a heated garage, would take the stock tires/wheels off during the winter months and store them indoors.

I have no idea if those same recommendations apply to the tires that come on the 6th gen ZL1's, but perhaps that's where the OP's worries came from ?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
Would there be a problem leaving car on jack stands during the winter and leaving suspension unloaded all winter?

I don't see any harm in doing this just for a few months at a time.
A bit excessive, but I doubt it would do any harm.
If it was to be stored for years at a time, maybe there'd be some concern, but not for just a few months a year here in the SE Michigan area.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote