Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
camarosss

Drives: Berger80,02CPE,67SSRS, 12 ZL1 #1342
SLP doing ZL Camaros ?????

How did SLP get the name ZL from GM? The ZL-1 is one of the most valuable camaros of all time. And letting another company use the ZL name should not be happening. Chevrolet needs to step up to the plate and use the ZL, COPO names and factory produce these car for future value to the consumer (US). SLP didn't ad ZR1 to the Corvette, GM did and look at what its worth. All of these aftermarket company's are jumping on the 5th gen ban wagon and killing the history of these camaros, come up with your own name or idea for a true collectible camaro. I'm a big camaro fan and own one 1st gen and four 4th gens and will inquire a special 5th gen or two but only if GM produces it, like the Z28. And only if its what they say it will be. GM has all the potential in the world to build these special camaros. Nickey is the only company I see so far that is rewriting the history of these cars and to me SO FAR will be the only camaros that will hold and grow in value. Don't get me wrong.... all the things that I've seen done to these 5th gens are cool but will they ever hold value like a factory built ZL or COPO? If only Don Yenko, Dick Harrell or Fredd Gibb were alive today we would see these cars done the way they should be. SLP to me means aftermarket and a aftermarket ZL is just unheard of.

Last edited by camarosss; 11-11-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
camarosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
The less SLP has to do with the 5th gen the better IMO. Bad products, bad experiences and horrible customer service. They took advantage of the relationship they had with GM for the 4th gens an abused the market of Camaro owners. I wouldnt even buy a used SLP part for 50cents.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
camarosss

I wanted to see ZL on these cars and purchase one but def not from SLP. GM should strip that name from them. And whats so bad is GM will prob realize the potential money making from this and start factory producing them like they did with the 4th gen in 1996. SLP started the SS that year with the hood, spoiler and emblem, then Chevrolet picked it up in late 97 through 2002. If SLP wants to do aftermarket things to the 5th gen that's fine but don't use a part of GM history....... hell put SLP575 on the fender and document it under their given name, they put SLP on the 4th gens!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
WMCC Doug
Camaro for life

Drives: 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Ltd. Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
If only Don Yenko, Dick Harrell or Fredd Gibb were alive today we would see these cars done the way they should be. SLP to me means aftermarket and a aftermarket ZL is just unheard of.
I see you already own a 4th Gen Berger SS. (I own a Hot Rod Magazine Edition) Maybe you have not heard that Berger is doing a Berger SS Edition of the 5th Gen. This time they are doing it "in house" instead of working with an outside company (like GMMG).

Berger Chevrolet is the ONLY performance dealership still in business from the heyday of the muscle car era, and still owned by the Berger family (84 years and still going strong).

Sadly, all the ones you mentioned, like Yenko, Dick Harrell, Fred Gibb, Nicky, Baldwin Chevrolet, are all gone. Some of these names are making a come back, but are not owned by the original families any longer. Some are authorized by surviving family members and the packages are very nice. But Berger is the only original one still in business.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
camarosss

Yea I spoke to Dick Jacques about the 5th gen special edition Berger but i'm waiting to see if GM will come up with a limited production camaro like the Z28 or maybe bring the ZL-1 back. I hope that Chevrolet is only using SLP for a stepping stone to see how well the high HP Camaros will sell. I maybe wrong but, I can't see paying 30k more for a aftermarket car. The last time I checked SLP doesn't spell GM.

Last edited by camarosss; 11-12-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: edit