Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Stanga85

Drives: Camaro RS 2017 V6 Bright Yellow
Camaro'17 Magnaflow Axle-Back Exhaust?

Hi everybody.
I'm new to this forum, so thanks in advance to whom decides to help me making this decision.
I've just bought my first Camaro, it's a 2017, V6, RS, Bright Yellow, and it's amazing! I'm happy! But, the factory sound is very crappy and I wanna change it asap. I've heard many audio clips and I decided to go for a Magnaflow exhaust.
But now I'm debating between two exhausts:
Magnaflow Race Series Axle-Back;
Magnaflow Competition Series Axle-Back;
Online I read the Competition Series should have a louder and deeper sound than the Race one, but on the clips I listened on youtube I didn't really found a lot of difference honestly. Maybe you know specific websites for those clips?
The price difference between them is more or less 300$ so I would avoid to buy the Competition if it is not worth it...
What would you guys recommend? Please advice.
Stanga85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Never been big on clips online. Fact being if someone has a samsung note or an iphone the camera is gonna be far better than a burner phone like a cricket or tracfone. Likewise, a go pro or higher end stand alone camera with an external lavalier mic will be better than almost any cell phone.

At the end of the day, the quality of mics commonly used, and many times the speakers people listen on, are lacking a decently huge degree.

Youll miss out on tones and sounds in certain octaves and rpm ranges. Most omit this fact and get whatever they wanted in yhe first place and simply just get used to anything they dont like.

If you can, go and listen in person. Find someone with it and hear it first hand is my suggestion.

If you must use clips, use them with a grain of salt.

As for MagnaFlow products, most of them are definitely of high-quality and their sounds are usually pretty on point as far as not having an exhaust that overpowers the sound what the engine can actually do. ( everyone knows the type he's the loudest guy when you all meet up but when you get to the track he's the slowest guy in the in the quarter mile, but he will brag for days about how he straight piped his V6 Camaro)

As for street or competition series it's pretty basic and straightforward. I def like their new approach to this.

If this is something that you're going to be driving in your neighborhood through cities that have sound ordinances that are enforced by police officers Etc, I would stick with the street/competition series. If you live in a place where it's wide open, not a lot of law enforcement, or a straight-out track car then go with the race series.

The difference is usually the amount of Muffler there to reduce sounds especially the higher pitch sounds in the exhaust that most never hear when you're sitting in the driveway revving the engine. Which is a majority of the videos that you see online. Someone just sitting there revving an engine.

The sounds that are higher-pitched usually don't come out until the engine has load on it, and also moving at a certain speed and RPM range.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Stanga85

Thank you very much PolynesianPowerhouse for your detailed answer. It's very much appreciated!!
Nevertheless I'm actually even more confused now. I thought the Race series was the most silent one, while the Competition the louder(it costs 300$ more) but you're basically telling me the opposite. Plus, you associate the Competition to the Street series, I didn't even found that one for sale but I thought the Street was even more silent than the Race... I'm all confused, lol
I'm driving mostly in the city, in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and I live in a condo where I have my spot inside a parking garage... You think these exhausts would be so loud to actually bother other people? Or to catch the attention of the police? I thought axle-back were still less noisy than cat-back...
Thanks again to anyone willing to help.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
The race series is just a muffler delete essentially and the competition is a new muffler. Also, check out the borla (expensive) and the flowmaster American thunder (magnaflow price.) I have the American thunder and I personally think it sounds amazing and much better than either magnaflow, they sound high pitched and wimpy to me. Like they WANT to be deep but there’s just nothing there to give it that tone. Also, don’t listen to anyone that says the flowmaster drones, it does not.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Also, the race may be too loud for your taste as it’s just straight pipe, but they aren’t absurd compared to V8’s. Anything with a muffler will be fine, they don’t get anywhere near as loud as a V8 does. I personally think the muffler deletes sound like hot ***, I just do not like them at all.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanga85 View Post
Thank you very much PolynesianPowerhouse for your detailed answer. It's very much appreciated!!
Nevertheless I'm actually even more confused now. I thought the Race series was the most silent one, while the Competition the louder(it costs 300$ more) but you're basically telling me the opposite. Plus, you associate the Competition to the Street series, I didn't even found that one for sale but I thought the Street was even more silent than the Race... I'm all confused, lol
I'm driving mostly in the city, in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and I live in a condo where I have my spot inside a parking garage... You think these exhausts would be so loud to actually bother other people? Or to catch the attention of the police? I thought axle-back were still less noisy than cat-back...
Thanks again to anyone willing to help.
axle backs less quiet than a cat back that's kind of a myth. Partially. They can be louder depending on construction. Muffler sizes and length are just two factors. There are many more. Exhaust is like an engine and likewised can be tuned. The same way you would look at a camshaft and say "a camshaft makes your car faster". That's not always true because it depends on more supporting features of the camshaft (grind, lobes, lift, duration etc) working in conjunction with everything else that surrounds that camshaft. You can end up being faster or slower.

Theres a few styles of out there. The whole point of an aftermarket exhaust is basically to open up the flow of the mufflers. The stock mufflers are restrictive in comparison even though some people will say that some are bigger and flow more. If you cut open a stock muffler it's a lot of open space. It allows exhaust gases to expand and slow down which decreases sound but also the decreases performance. There's no other way around that.

A full Cat-Back may allow a bit more sound due to the deletion of the secondary cats and the mid resonator muffler. But the majority of the sound comes from the replacement of the large suitcase Muffler at the rear of the car. Once you take that out and add to smaller less restrictive Mufflers that's where your sound comes from whether you get a Cat-Back or an axle back because most catbacks basically use axle backs as part of the construction.

I've uploaded screenshots of both.

The race series are going to be the ones that are without mufflers.

The competition series or Street series as they used to be called will be the ones with the round mufflers.

Given the fact that the version without the mufflers are basically straight pipes and just the tip you can probably save money by shopping around. Also if you look around there's coupon codes for certain sites that will definitely help the price a good deal. With Phastek and RDP, there are some forum pricing that will help your purchase along as well. You may need to either call them or send them a p.m.

But basically anything with the muffler is going to be a little bit more subdued or neighborhood friendly then something that is just straight pipe and basically there for maximum amount of noise possible.

The $300 difference in price comes from the fact of most mufflers for MagnaFlow especially the polished 4 or 5 inch round stainless steel are usually about 80 bucks per Muffler. Multiply that times two and you're at 160. And that's if you know the really good spots to buy from that don't overcharge you. Most any exhaust shop is going to charge you about 1 hour maybe two hours labor to cut a pipe and then weld in a new pipe or a section of pipe or Muffler. Given most shops these days or anywhere between 60 and $90 an hour and these are the mom-and-pop shops. Especially Race Shop is usually around 100 to 125 per hour.

So once you factor in labor charges and the price for the muffler's it pretty much explains the $300 difference in price

Also I cannot restress enough, if you want to get the best price look into Forum pricing and calling places like phastek or RDP.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 10-19-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Stanga85

Thanks guys, you're really helping me! And you taught me a lot! I was so inexperienced this morning, I'm learning something now!
Ok, so now I have to make up my mind again, before I was sure I wanted a Magnaflow, now I'm not sure of anything anymore, lol!
I would like a deep and loud sound, but not like the one of a tractor. I've listened now to the Borla ATAK series and actually seems cool. I don't have the dual tips so I guess no NPP(?) And I've found it for about 700$ at a first quick glance...
But now I'm undecided, it's sooo difficult to choose...
Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks guys, you're really helping me! And you taught me a lot! I was so inexperienced this morning, I'm learning something now!
Ok, so now I have to make up my mind again, before I was sure I wanted a Magnaflow, now I'm not sure of anything anymore, lol!
I would like a deep and loud sound, but not like the one of a tractor. I've listened now to the Borla ATAK series and actually seems cool. I don't have the dual tips so I guess no NPP(?) And I've found it for about 700$ at a first quick glance...
But now I'm undecided, it's sooo difficult to choose...
Borla atak sounds amazing! But yes, no NPP, you don’t have valves. NPP is the exhaust you can buy from the factory. Welcome to exhaust shopping it’s really hard. I can do some videos of my exhaust for you if you’d like. I have one up on YouTube right now.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse

Honeslty it shouldnt be too hard. I had mine down to borla s type or magnaflow comp series. One of the magnaflow reps acted like a douche when i called in asking when they would be ready. Placed a call to borla and their rep was beyond helpful and had info. I went with borla, and thats from using nothing but magnaflow products on the last 3 cars with over a combined 510,000 miles of driving in 15 years.

So on this one i tried something new and never looked back.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Stanga85

Thank you both again for your comments!
From the clips online, either Magnaflow don't seem that high-pitched, but I've never listened to them in person so I trust you completely.
I would totally like to hear your Flowmaster exhaust Camarolover!! You can send me a link if you'd like!
Also, Polynesian, can you please explain a little better this line:
Quote:
Also I cannot restress enough, if you want to get the best price look into Forum pricing and calling places like phastek or RDP.
What do you mean with forum pricing exactly? You mean there are sellers registered in this very forum and I can just pm them and ask for quotes?
Both Phastek and RDPStore sell the Borla online for 753$. Same for Autoanything. Still not cheap, but less than the Magnaflow Competition.
By the way, I decided I'm getting a Cold Air Intake as well. Hopefully in the end I will have more sound, more power and even use less fuel... (daydreaming)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Forum pricing means discount for being on this forum.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502973

Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thank you both again for your comments!
From the clips online, either Magnaflow don't seem that high-pitched, but I've never listened to them in person so I trust you completely.
I would totally like to hear your Flowmaster exhaust Camarolover!! You can send me a link if you'd like!
Also, Polynesian, can you please explain a little better this line:

What do you mean with forum pricing exactly? You mean there are sellers registered in this very forum and I can just pm them and ask for quotes?
Both Phastek and RDPStore sell the Borla online for 753$. Same for Autoanything. Still not cheap, but less than the Magnaflow Competition.
By the way, I decided I'm getting a Cold Air Intake as well. Hopefully in the end I will have more sound, more power and even use less fuel... (daydreaming)
Like I said it’s all personal preference. I’ve only heard the magnaflow online but to me I just didn’t like it sounded, I thought the flowmaster and borla sounded much better.

https://youtu.be/x4Ex17UM4Ik

I can try to do some other videos if you want. This was quick right after install
Old 10-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We've had great success with Borla Atak systems, they are loud. The s-type is a good all around sound without being over the top. The Magnaflow Comp series is a good setup as well.

Please feel free to call or email us anytime with questions.

Regards,

Brandon
801-545-4215

Last edited by JDP Sales; 10-31-2017 at 11:11 AM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Stanga85

Thank you very much guys!
Thanks Camarolover for the link, your American Thunder sounds sooo good!
And thanks Brandon for the contact, I pm(ed) you.
This thread is nice, will be very useful to other newbies like myself I think.
In the meanwhile I also decided(thanks to this forum) to go for an AFE C.A.I. Hopefully no problem will rise(I don't even have 1000 miles yet, lol).

Tags
axle-back, camaro 2017, exhaust, magnaflow, sound clips