Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Uneven pad wear R vs L F wheel

It seems that Sean and I are experiencing the same symptom: RF pads are wearing evenly but much faster than LF. By about 3mm.
Any expert opinions as to possible cause(s)?
I had thought my zl1addons hook might be causing it by hanging down and disturbing air flow to the cooling inlets. But Sean uses stock hook which is horizontal...

Thanks in advance!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
TrackClub

TTT any ideas?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
More left turns under braking?
That would put more load on the R/F brakes.

Are rear pads even?
If L/R is worn more than R/R I might look into the brake proportioning.

Have you scaled the car, put it on a four pad scale to check your corner weights?

Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
TrackClub

Rear pads are even. I've run CW tracks so R hand turns prevail. Haven't had the car corner weighted.
Thx for your thoughts! Anyone else with the same issue?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
My vette with the Z06 caliper did it, my SS sedan with the Brembo 6 piston did it. When I put it in the air they both seem to spin the same, but never actually measured the drag. I rebuilt the Brembo' before installing them, new seals and rubbers all around along with new hoses.

Maybe something with the ABS, IDK
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
TrackClub

Ok thx maybe it is a "feature" then?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Very slight differences in the pad compound and brake rotor materials can cause uneven wear, especially on cars that see track use. I see the same thing happen on race cars, part of a normal checklist on R8 LMS and Porsche GT3 RSR's and Cup Cars is to closely examine the brakes, you'll usually find a pad or two wearing faster than the others but it's considered normal.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
TrackClub

Thx for the feedback. I've seen an uneven before, but never to this degree. Perhaps the weight plays a role here.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
My pad wear so far has been reasonably symmetrical, nothing to write home about.

If you think you're getting asymmetrical duct flow, use Alcon temp tape strips and/or temp paint as a ballpark helper.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
TrackClub

Good idea Ryephile - thx!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Uneven pad wear top bs bottom

Hey guys, yesterday I was surprised by an extremely uneven pad wear of the bottom of my front pads (see images). On both left and right the same! Any ideas what this could be caused by??

I always inspect pads after each session but only look from up... there I had still some material left.
Now on the lower end, the pads were completely gone after the last session and I only noticed by chance due to scratching. I haven’t heard that the pad could wear unevenly in itself, only left and right like discussed here.

My mechanics say that they have for sure not damaged the calipers when replacing the pads last time.
Attached Images

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
What pads? Are those accurate looking pictures of the transfer layer? It looks horrible, like you just washed the car and the rotors rusted and then you rolled it a hundred feet and stopped.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Hey guys, yesterday I was surprised by an extremely uneven pad wear of the bottom of my front pads (see images). On both left and right the same! Any ideas what this could be caused by??

I always inspect pads after each session but only look from up... there I had still some material left.
Now on the lower end, the pads were completely gone after the last session and I only noticed by chance due to scratching. I haven’t heard that the pad could wear unevenly in itself, only left and right like discussed here.

My mechanics say that they have for sure not damaged the calipers when replacing the pads last time.
Ah those rotors remind me of my old '05 GTO when I would run at Road America. Sorry I'm no help to your cause.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
What pads? Are those accurate looking pictures of the transfer layer? It looks horrible, like you just washed the car and the rotors rusted and then you rolled it a hundred feet and stopped.
The pads are Ferodo DS 2500. Used them for 3,5 track days, and the top part still looked decent at least to finish this day easily. I did burnish them after installation. I think the layer looks so terrible because the iron under the pad already scratched the discs quite a lot.
The weather yesterday and the previous track day was rather warm, around 74 and sunny. I was thinking if it could be uneven pressure of the calipers due to temps.. and if anyone switched to steel flex. I haven’t heard of that being an issue though :/
Fluid is Motul 660. Did a 50% flush when changing pads.

Will call the break shop tomorrow, they have good racing experience. At this point I’m completely clueless, any suggestions appreciated.

Also: does anyone know whether the original rotors (part number
23142500 And 23189768) are made by AC Delco? Found a good page that delivers to Germany but they don’t use gm part numbers. Fits the ATS-V so looked good. My previously ordered OEM rotors by gmpartsdirect won’t make it here in time.

Regarding the layer: Here are some disc pictures from winter before changing (when my OEM pads were done. Those lasted 5 days)
Attached Images

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote