Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Jimtasteek

Drives: S197 Mustang
Technique tips for a 1/4 mile noob

Hey guys. I have a long long wait for my Camaro here in the UK, so I’m hanging around on this forum to keep myself entertained and help with my impatience. When the car finally turns up (and has been broken in, naturally) I’m planning to do the American thing and take it one of our few drag strips for some fun. Never done anything like it before.

So, finally to my question - what’s the best strategy for getting the manual V8 to the end of the strip in the fastest time? What are the ideal launch revs? Should I be short-shifting or waiting for the red line? Any other tips?!

Thanks!
Jimtasteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Moved to Drag Racing & Launching subforum

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Since I will assume you're going for a test and tune session, use the sportsman tree (the one that the yellow lights count down).

On the street tires, I did a small-ish burnout, 20psi in the tires.

Use launch control, with a smooth, quick release of the clutch. Don't just dump it, it'll blaze the tires. It's all about feeling the car as to how quick you can let off. I rev to 6000, don't lift off the accelerator, and bang the next gear. If you go much over 6000, depending on how fast you can shift, you may hit the brick wall of a rev limiter. It stops right at 6500-6600. There's. O give, and if that happens you lose a ton of momentum.

Best piece of advice I can give you is......Get as many runs in as humanly possible. The more seat time you have, the quicker it will go.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
Since I will assume you're going for a test and tune session, use the sportsman tree (the one that the yellow lights count down).

On the street tires, I did a small-ish burnout, 20psi in the tires.

Use launch control, with a smooth, quick release of the clutch. Don't just dump it, it'll blaze the tires. It's all about feeling the car as to how quick you can let off. I rev to 6000, don't lift off the accelerator, and bang the next gear. If you go much over 6000, depending on how fast you can shift, you may hit the brick wall of a rev limiter. It stops right at 6500-6600. There's. O give, and if that happens you lose a ton of momentum.

Best piece of advice I can give you is......Get as many runs in as humanly possible. The more seat time you have, the quicker it will go.
Great advice about seat time. Ah launch control is your secret sauce. I tried it a few times, but no luck. I will try again. A shift light would help me.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
On street tires, launch control is your best friend. They've got it pretty well figured out. Once you get a sticky tire, the game changes. It doesn't let you use all the power.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
On street tires, launch control is your best friend. They've got it pretty well figured out. Once you get a sticky tire, the game changes. It doesn't let you use all the power.
Sure it does, if you use the launch control "trick" discussed in the fast list thread...page 21.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Jimtasteek

Drives: S197 Mustang
Thanks for all the tips guys! It's going to be a totally new experience for me so hopefully I won't make a fool of myself.
Jimtasteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
BMR Tech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Here are a few more "noob" mistakes I see made at the drag strip a lot:

Do NOT drive through the water box on street tires. Your tires arent sticky enough to need water to spin. The tread will just hold water and dip out on the track and cause you to spin like crazy. Drive around the water and back up just in front of it for your burnout.

Don't do a big burnout on street tires! Do just enough to clean them off. The compound of street tires is hard and actually will "glaze" or get "slimy" when hot. Again, loss of traction.

Ride the clutch out. Don't dump it. It should be a smooth motion. It does take a lot of practice to get the feel and it is easy to get overly excited when you see those lights coming down. Just try to focus on the feel of the car as you let it out. Try a few different techniques, release speeds and launch rpms to see what works best for your car and track conditions.

and most of all, don't pull all the way up to the tree and wait for the lights

Just go, have fun and try to stay calm. The biggest thing I see happen is guys get too nervous or excited and make simple mistakes. Just pretend you are taking off from a red light at first, then power down. Have fun and let us know how it goes!
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Sure it does, if you use the launch control "trick" discussed in the fast list thread...page 21.
What thread are you talking about?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
What thread are you talking about?
Here you go: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...427506&page=21