Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
How do you remove the headrest?

I need to turn mine around or COMPLETELY remove it as, thanks to the government, the forward tilt is ruining my experience with this car.

Googled angled headrest and found out we have the NHTSA to thank for this incredibly stupid, unergonomic design for "whiplash protection"

Also found some camaro5 threads where people were trying to remove theirs and there were two buttons. I can only find one, on the side of the rest. There are none at the base that I can find. This is cause to get rid of the car for me as I have added lumbar support and it still is $#%*($%* infuriatingly painful after an extended period of time.

ANY HELP would greatly be appreciated.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Some cars have a hidden release inline with the metal slides, inside the upper seat housing at the headrest base that will release the top.fully. Others you just pull up a little firmer and it comes out after last notch.

I honeslty don't know. I can try on mine later when I'm home. Will post back if i get it.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Some cars have a hidden release inline with the metal slides, inside the upper seat housing at the headrest base that will release the top.fully. Others you just pull up a little firmer and it comes out after last notch.

I honeslty don't know. I can try on mine later when I'm home. Will post back if i get it.

Yeah I've looked in all the usual places I am seeing from googling and finding nothing

Any help would be great. Just ran my fingers down below the round housing and it just seems like there is no release
Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Whis

To raise or lower the head restraint,
press the button located on the side
of the head restraint, and pull up or
push the head restraint down, and
release the button. Pull and push on
the head restraint after the button is
released to make sure that it is
locked in place.

The front outboard head restraints
are not removable.

Fking great.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
To raise or lower the head restraint,
press the button located on the side
of the head restraint, and pull up or
push the head restraint down, and
release the button. Pull and push on
the head restraint after the button is
released to make sure that it is
locked in place.

The front outboard head restraints
are not removable.

Fking great.
They say that, but i'm sure there is a way. There needs to be a way in order to replace them or the seat cover. There's probably either a little clip that you need a special tool to get to or the seat cover needs to be partially removed to access it from inside. Is there a button on the side of the headrest that allows you to change the angle of it? My most recent cars have had this and I've been able to angle it back enough to be comfortable.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
On the cars ive done with perm headrests, the back of the seat is taken off, clips removed from posts and the headrest pulls out.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
They say that, but i'm sure there is a way. There needs to be a way in order to replace them or the seat cover. There's probably either a little clip that you need a special tool to get to or the seat cover needs to be partially removed to access it from inside. Is there a button on the side of the headrest that allows you to change the angle of it? My most recent cars have had this and I've been able to angle it back enough to be comfortable.
No angle change. This thing is killing me too. I had no idea what I was getting into because for most people who have an issue like me it takes days or weeks to show up ,but it is here.

I really hate this
Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
hacksaw. Simple
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
On the cars ive done with perm headrests, the back of the seat is taken off, clips removed from posts and the headrest pulls out.
Christ.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
Yea, took a vertical nap today..that was restful...

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #11
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamst8 View Post
Yea, took a vertical nap today..that was restful...
Thanks for this productive post

Either way - I thought it was comfortable at first, too. You can pretty much rest your head against it.

Over time though, I have noticed being unable to move my head back beyond that hard locked point (without support, i.e. reclining the seat back) is ruining my neck. Pain is incredible between shoulderblades and neck after a 20 min drive or so.

This is the same pain I've run into for bad posture at my desk monkey job but corrected. The exact kind... and I need to fix this or I'm screwed.

Googling this issue as I said in the OP will show you many more people of /almost/ all brands having the same issue.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
you may want to try adjusting the seatback so that its away from you, itll create a section of your upper back that isn't supported, but at least then the headrest wont be pushing you forward
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I tried taking mine out, feels like there's a plastic interlocking seam on the upper inside between the support shafts that's holding the cover on. I'm guessing you've have to separate that, pull the cover to see more. I couldn't find any hidden buttons, levers latches or even a second push/click with pressure to fully remove it...

It's possible that the retaining piece is actually inside the seat itself and that cover would need to come off. Regardless, it doesn't seem like quick thing to do.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I tried taking mine out, feels like there's a plastic interlocking seam on the upper inside between the support shafts that's holding the cover on. I'm guessing you've have to separate that, pull the cover to see more. I couldn't find any hidden buttons, levers latches or even a second push/click with pressure to fully remove it...

It's possible that the retaining piece is actually inside the seat itself and that cover would need to come off. Regardless, it doesn't seem like quick thing to do.
Darnit! Thanks for posting though