The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Finally drove a 135i

I don't want to say "wow" but that's just about the best I can do. WOW!!!!! Solid road feel though precise and feelsome steering and a stiff but comfy suspension. Very very well balanced car, not to mention it's insanely quick as well. Damned quick! I've never driven a car with such a quick shifting manumatic transmission as the one in this car either, you pull the paddles on either side inward to upshift and punch the lever at the top to downshift, and it actually works unlike in so many other cars with the same setup. I've also driven an MKV GTI with DSG (you never hear enough about how supposedly "quick" that transmission is) and to be honest this transmission was just as quick. The only rub is obviously the price which can go up significantly with options but that's a problem rather easily avoided as the car already comes with most features as standard equipment (i.e. split folding rear seats, xenons, etc.). This car is looking seriously tempting and could easily dissuade me from buying a 5thgen, even if it costs slightly more. SICK CAR!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
All that aside, it problably gives pretty decent gas mileage and the ability to turn up the boost with a relatively cheap upgrade chip from multiple tuners.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
All that aside, it problably gives pretty decent gas mileage and the ability to turn up the boost with a relatively cheap upgrade chip from multiple tuners.
On the sticker it says 18/26, which is pretty damn good for a car with 300hp, rwd and does 60 in under 5 secs (official time is 5.1).
Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I've got nothing against BMWs, except the price. Kudos to them for pulling it off correctly.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I've got nothing against BMWs, except the price. Kudos to them for pulling it off correctly.
The only other Bimmers I've driven were the following; E46 M3, M3 ZCP (both SMG, which sucks), E92 328+335, E90 330, 325, 328 + 335. Mostly all 3's with the exception of the 1, but all the cars (and I imagine this to be true of all BMW's in general) feel so incredibly dialed in, it's something I've never noticed in any other car except for a few Porsche's. The way the cars do everything and their reflexes/responses to your input is phenomenal, it's like the car is reading the road to you (if you will), and the engines are tuned to perfection like you won't believe.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Thanks for the update Scotsman. I love the 135 except for the price and looks (the hatchback is better by far). One question that could help me put this in perspective: did you drive the 335 also, and if so how did they compare? They're sadly pretty close in price and weight, so I guess I'm asking if there is any good reason to not spend a couple extra bucks to get a 3 series instead.

Thanks!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Thanks for the update Scotsman. I love the 135 except for the price and looks (the hatchback is better by far). One question that could help me put this in perspective: did you drive the 335 also, and if so how did they compare? They're sadly pretty close in price and weight, so I guess I'm asking if there is any good reason to not spend a couple extra bucks to get a 3 series instead.

Thanks!
Actually I did. The 335 feels bigger and a tad more relaxed but does just about everything the same/as good. I liked the 135 better because it feels more nimble, light on its' feet. Curiously the 335's steering has a tad more feel to it than the 135. Regardless of the price difference though, however small it may be I can still get a 135 for under $40k at my spec. So I'm not too worried about the price. Beyond that with one seat eliminated (always the case when I'm in the drivers seat of any car) I might as well go with the smaller car since it doesn't matter all that much to begin with. All things considered I'd take the 135i over the 335i coupe everytime.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
Where do get the chance to drive all these cars?
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
Where do get the chance to drive all these cars?
Friends, family and of course checking them out at the dealer. Those drives have taken place of the course of the past three years.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Here's a vid that gives a somewhat good description of the car, I do disagree with him on some things though...
http://http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-50002173.html

Last edited by Scotsman; 05-26-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Here's a vid that gives a somewhat good description of the car, I do disagree with him on some things though...

<object width="335" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/newPlayers/universal.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&value=50002173" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/newPlayers/universal.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="335" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&value=50002173" /></object>

Dude. You guys should deifnitely stick a youtube or embedded media player configurator in the post tool bar or whatever..
just give the youtube code, and I can embed it for you (and explain how later)...but if it's anything besides youtube, though - it won't work.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
just give the youtube code, and I can embed it for you (and explain how later)...but if it's anything besides youtube, though - it won't work.
It's not youtube. I'll just grab the link.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
legends

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
I am thinking that the new Camaro will be the car I go to after my BMW 135i lease is done in a couple years.
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
comming from someone who's best friend drives a 135i, its a good car.

its not a GREAT car. Personally i think it looks like god reached down and squished a 335i together in his fingers to make the car.

the biggest common complaint ive heard about it is the lag from the engine. Which i test drove and can attest to.

Ive said it before, the two best BMW cars in this price range are the 335i coupe and a used Z4M. BMW doesnt make a more nimble car than the M, and the 335i is a GREAT everyday/fun car.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote