Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Thumbs up oil breather cap

I was reading a post this morning from someone that was experiencing an oil leak due to excessive pressure in the block. They had mentioned they replaced the oem oil cap with a breathable one. This sounds like a great idea, but I wanted to run it past who ever might be knowledgeable out there on the concept. Is it a good idea?, Can it throw anything off, with the compression or in the combustion chamber?. If it is a good idea, can anyone recommend one?. and Lastly how much can I expect to pay for a relatively good one? thanks to all, happy trails.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
pressure in the crankcase is a result of blow by.
the blow by is a result of combustion.
combustion is a result of spark, fuel and metered air. that means the ECU knows how much air entered the engine.

the PCV system should route the crankcase pressure back into the intake.
if the breather cap allows it to escape to the atmosphere, the ECU thinks there's more air in the engine than there really is, and will command too much fuel, making you run rich.

eta: actually, the blowby enters the intake post meter, displacing volume that would've otherwise been filled with fresh metered air. the blowby is generally void of O2 so fuel calcs are good. a breather cap eliminates this, but also allows unmetered air to enter the intake via the PCV system, altering fuel mixtures.

if this happens in closed loop, the narrowband O2 sensors may be able to compensate, depending on the amount of air leaving the breather cap and the amount of trims left in the ECU.

most likely, excessive blow by happens at WOT, where the engine runs in open loop, and the commanded afr is rich. only way to know how much is to measure with a wideband O2 sensor.

Last edited by FunkedOut; 09-19-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: correction
FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Emvici

I am using an Apex oil catch can, because when you started talking about the combustion blow-by it made me think of the catch can. Does this catch can essential do what the breathable cap would do and maybe better?.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I was reading a post this morning from someone that was experiencing an oil leak due to excessive pressure in the block. They had mentioned they replaced the oem oil cap with a breathable one. This sounds like a great idea, but I wanted to run it past who ever might be knowledgeable out there on the concept. Is it a good idea?, Can it throw anything off, with the compression or in the combustion chamber?. If it is a good idea, can anyone recommend one?. and Lastly how much can I expect to pay for a relatively good one? thanks to all, happy trails.
Using a Metco from Jannetty, he puts a quick release valve in them, and then resells..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
the catch can simply condenses and collects oil vapor on its way from the crankcase to the intake (along the PCV system)

the breather cap with check valve should work well without allowing additional air (unmetered) into the intake.

eta:
not sure if the ECU cares whether the cylinder load goes out the breather cap as blow by or if it goes out the exhaust.
probably the worst thing is for it to go back into the intake.

Last edited by FunkedOut; 09-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.
FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Using a Metco from Jannetty, he puts a quick release valve in them, and then resells..
This.

Best release valve I've seen as well... Opens very easily and seals shut tight to not let unmetered air in.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Emvici

so the answer was the Catch can does not release the pressure that builds up in the block?. what is a metco?

thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The catch can is just a pit stop the air and oil vapor make. The oil hops out and the air continues to their original destination at the front of the intake.

You can set up your system like I did and have a catch can with a breather but then need to cap off the where the lines fed the intake and may need to tune for the changes. The draw back to this is you will often smell some of the oil vapors that have a very easy way out through the ZL1 hood and into your car.

I rerouted mine to the lower fender area and that resolved that issue.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
so the answer was the Catch can does not release the pressure that builds up in the block?. what is a metco?

thanks
http://www.jreperformanceparts.com/2...-breather.html

Best breather I have used. It's pricey, but seems to be worth it.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
^^^ plus 1^^^
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
What about installation, will it fit the stock oil fill cap opening or do you need to install it into the valve cover somewhere?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
What about installation, will it fit the stock oil fill cap opening or do you need to install it into the valve cover somewhere?
It fits the stock opening. The engine cover will need to be modified if you are keeping it on.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Emvici

gee 110.00 for a glorified oil cap, I wonder if the benefits justify the price?. what exactly are the benefits of this breathable cap?.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
gee 110.00 for a glorified oil cap, I wonder if the benefits justify the price?. what exactly are the benefits of this breathable cap?.
It only breathes when there is excessive crankcase pressure. A one way valve ensures no unmetered air get into the system.
I am not even sure if mine has ever even had to breath but it is cheap insurance against blown seals etc. for us FI people.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.

Last edited by RankSS; 09-21-2015 at 11:00 PM.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote