Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
rikkuness

Drives: .
Exhaust Rework

So this is going to be somewhat unstructured but hey, a few people have asked me to keep updates of my build here so I'll throw a few bits up. This is going to cover me replacing the whole stock system from engine block to rear diffuser on my 2010 V6.

A few months back I replaced the stock back boxes with a pair of MRT V1's which made the world of difference to the sound of the car over a stock V6 as any of UK guys that were at the summer meet etc. will know! These were simply bolted on on my driveway and took me all of about half an hour, as I found out yesterday though, this wasn't perfect.

So I bought myself a set of BBK long tubes, seems a lot of folk use them on their V6's and the performance gain claims are pretty sweet. I picked up a full kit off eBay for around 600 notes shipped and taxed, which ain't too bad! The kit came with everything you need, gaskets, cables, bolts, high flow cats... I didn't want to just bolt those on there and leave the stock mid section in there though so I figured I'd go down to an exhaust shop and get a custom mid section built up and fitted, which is what I did yesterday.

Once the car was up on the ramp it was pretty obvious that where I'd bolted on my MRT's was leaking, oops! The guys there said it was mostly down the the diameters being wrong because the clamps were on pretty tight.

So out came the stock mid section, which to be honest was fine, but I decided I wanted to get them to build in a resonator on the mid section, the MRT v1's are pretty loud and more or less straight through, I was worried that once I got the long tubes and high flow cats on I'd be causing bleeding ears all over town.

3 hours or so later I had a shiny new mid section in and my back boxes were now properly aligned and fitted, all for a not too horrible 350 quid.

So headers and cats, I'm going to have a crack at those myself on the driveway today, I know, haven't learned my lesson... But I do enjoy having a go, even if I end up paying someone to fix my mess... Updates coming later on!
rikkuness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
http://m.imgur.com/1R2Cl6Z

redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
ShadowV8

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS V8
Good luck with the headers, not a drive way job in my opinion. Just very tricky to get it around the steering column, took mine out in the end. Glad I had a second pair of hands and a hydraulic ramp. Can't be too much easier on the V6 so best of luck!
ShadowV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
rikkuness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowV8 View Post
Good luck with the headers, not a drive way job in my opinion. Just very tricky to get it around the steering column, took mine out in the end. Glad I had a second pair of hands and a hydraulic ramp. Can't be too much easier on the V6 so best of luck!
We got one side done yesterday before we ran out of light, the easy side... There's certainly some tricky bolts to get at on the passenger side though.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
rikkuness

Finally got it all done, bit of a chore but I got there! I'll add some more pictures and how it went soon, I need to rest, I ache from head to toe...
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
#HERO
... and Audio/Video plz. :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote