Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
anyone run both SCCA and NASA?

I never intended to, but I'll be getting the Camaro on the track for some fun. Both NASA and SCCA have events I'm interested in and I'm working on configuring the car to fit in classes through both organizations.
Anyway- when it comes to numbering the car and any decals etc- I would assume they would frown on having SCCA livery at a NASA event and vice versa... or maybe I'm wrong. Anyone run into this? I raced professionally almost 20 years ago and never had to manage that part of the business... I just drove and didn't think about anything else- kinda like the Stig, but with slightly less success.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
VTSummit

crickets, eh?
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
I wonder why anyone would care? It's amateur racing. I have both stickers on my car.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
VTSummit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
I wonder why anyone would care? It's amateur racing. I have both stickers on my car.
Just wondering if anyone got any grief for it. I raced professionally a long time ago and you could NEVER show up with another series or sanctioning body on your car.
Just wondering if there was any griping between NASA and SCCA folks.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I run both but have mainly been focusing on NASA lately but I've seen both stickers and a lot of people run both events. I haven't seen or heard of any hate going towards either side of the house
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
As a Tech Official for NASA I can say that you are supposed to at least tape over any SCCA stickers when racing. Not doing so can lose you contingency payouts, at least in the Nor-Cal region, and is particularly heavily enforced at Championship events as well as a NASA patch on suit. If you want to ever possibly end up in something like SpeedNews it needs to be off the car entirely. I don't know what SCCA's policy is on NASA stickers.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
VTSummit

Ah! Thanks for posting... I had heard something like this and it's nice to have some confirmation. Never saw anything in writing about it, yet. Since I do my own graphics at home, I can make it easy to change the appearance of the car for about $10 in vinyl.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I ran a National SCCA event and I had to tape over a differing sanctioned body AND run their required decals or my times would be DQed. Had to blue tape it up and put their sticker under it. At all my other Regional SCCA events they don't care.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I cover all bases and tape over anyone that bitches. Multipurpose life strategy.
Attached Images

Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
I tape over SCCA at NASA events & vise versa. It may not be illegal not to, just bad taste.
13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Just out of curiosity, are there a lot of folks running V6 Camaros in Amateur racing? I assume you intend to cage it and do a racing seat, etc in it?
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
VTSummit

Sorry for taking months to respond- didn't come up in my subscriptions. I think the V6 Camaro is going to be very popular in amateur racing mainly because it's a low cost car and it handles reasonably well while sporting over 300hp. I never anticipated using mine for this, but with the 1LE suspension on it and the Brembos from a Cadillac it does much better than I thought it could- so it is now my stand-in for HPDE or recreational racing. Saves the wear and tear on my vintage racer which costs a lot to run and is getting to be too valuable to put to much risk anymore.
It can run in STP without a cage or anything exotic. It will see some time on the track at Lime Rock for HPDE while I wait for the 17 ZL1.