Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
vandervortadam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss black 21's
Polishing red jewel tricoat

Just wondering if there was anything different about polishing this paint? Does it have a hard or soft clear coat? Any help would be great.
vandervortadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I had to do some polishing when I picked up my car and I didn't notice anything that I would consider different about it than any other color. It sure does shine like a jewel in the sun, though.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
broker99

Drives: ?
One thing you are going to see is paint transfer on to your pad. That is perfectly normal. Other than that the process is the same. I remember the paint being on the harder side but that was on a vette. I love to tint coat when polished.
broker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Balasarius

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
One thing you are going to see is paint transfer on to your pad. That is perfectly normal. Other than that the process is the same. I remember the paint being on the harder side but that was on a vette. I love to tint coat when polished.
Paint should not transfer onto your pad unless you're so abrasive you've gone through (and removed) the clear-coat...
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
broker99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
Paint should not transfer onto your pad unless you're so abrasive you've gone through (and removed) the clear-coat...
Tint coat has a small amount of paint in the clearcoat for the tint. The tint will appear on the pad when polishing. With any base coat clear coat you are removing paint whenever you are polishing or compound its that you just can not see it on the pad because its clear.

Normally I would say you are correct but not the case with tint coat paint. Trust me.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
broker99

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...dded-dirt.html

this will back up my statements
Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Balasarius

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Ok, cool. I stand corrected.
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
10RJT33

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
Tint coat has a small amount of paint in the clearcoat for the tint. The tint will appear on the pad when polishing. With any base coat clear coat you are removing paint whenever you are polishing or compound its that you just can not see it on the pad because its clear.

Normally I would say you are correct but not the case with tint coat paint. Trust me.

I have RJT, I don't get paint transfer to my pad. I use menzerna FG400
10RJT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I've had to do some paint correction on my CRT paint, which is the successor of RJT, and I've had to wet sand in an area by the rear window (rear quarter). Using a very fine grit and starting at 1000 grit and stepping up 1500, then 2000, then 2500 and then finishing at 3000 to get the high spots of the clear coat, I used a white microfiber towel during the process to wipe down between the steps of the wetsanding and there was small amount of red in the towel.

So I would have to agree that there is a certain amount of the tintcoat in the clearcoat.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Pretty much all spot on info -

Polishes up the same as any other color, aside from the tiny bit of pigment transfer from the tinted clear.

Also looks fantastic when its polished up. Come back with pics for us to drool over when you're done!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote