Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
MrTeacher

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Anyone Swapped out RS HIDs for Non-RS headlights?

I've got a 2010 2LT/RS and have had poor light output from my HID headlights for over a year now. I've tried changing bulbs several times with the same results. While they are bright enough to be seen, they don't throw light far down the road. At this point, I have to do something about it, it's just too scary to drive at night. While I've seen tons of posts about guys upgrading their non-RS lights to the RS HIDs, has anyone done the opposite? If I buy some non-RS eagle eyes, for example, will they fit and give me the halo effect with the halogens? Or will there be problems? Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
If there is a problem with the HIDs you probably should have it looked at and fixed. The HIDs are a lot better than the Halogen lights, by far. Always fix something before downgrading.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
The output of HID's should always be greater than Halogens.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
I saw some girl on facebook that swapped her rs lights for eagle eyes, you will need a harness to make it plug and play...she got hers from ofer at gen5diy
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeacher View Post
I've got a 2010 2LT/RS and have had poor light output from my HID headlights for over a year now. I've tried changing bulbs several times with the same results. While they are bright enough to be seen, they don't throw light far down the road. At this point, I have to do something about it, it's just too scary to drive at night. While I've seen tons of posts about guys upgrading their non-RS lights to the RS HIDs, has anyone done the opposite? If I buy some non-RS eagle eyes, for example, will they fit and give me the halo effect with the halogens? Or will there be problems? Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried to have them checked for proper height?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
+1
make sure they are adjusted properly.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #7
MrTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Yes, I've had the dealer make sure they are aimed properly, and was told they are set properly... Nothing improved as far as the light output on the road and ahead of me though. Am I wrong to assume that if they had done that, that they would've noticed if anything else was wrong with the lights? I haven't had them check the lights specifically.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
MrTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackLS View Post
I saw some girl on facebook that swapped her rs lights for eagle eyes, you will need a harness to make it plug and play...she got hers from ofer at gen5diy
Do you know her reasons for doing so, were they similar to mine? Did the switch solve her problems? How does her car look now?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #9
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
I dont know her reasoning, and didnt see any after pics...she just posted about the plugs not matching and not wanting to send the lights back...

I dont think itll be better than the rs lights...if they arent lighting up the road far enough out, just adjust them to aim higher...when i installed my rs lights i adjusted them to what was recommended for the cutoff line and they pointed way down for some reason ( area right in front of bumper was super bright but ten feet out was barely lit)...so i raised the aim of the projectors...now they light up the road further out, i had to play around to make sure they werent too high for oncoming traffic...
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:53 AM   #10
MrTeacher

Bump
Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
Willbergen89

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
You will probably never get the same amount of light spread from a projector lamp compared to a reflective lamp. http://www.headlightreviews.com/proj...ght-housing-2/
Check out this article, they design them to emit a lower brightness and controlled light spread. Youre probably just use to the old style headlight spread and brightness. I like the way projector headlights look but i HATE how much they control the light.
Willbergen89 is offline   Reply With Quote