Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
FL2HOTT21

Drives: 2013 AGM RS 1LE
Can i reach 500HP with these mods??

1) Ported LS3 cylinder heads - Scorpion LS17 Rocker Arms
2)Camshaft
3)LT Headers (No Cats)
4)Cold Air Intake
5)Performance Clutch
6)Performance Tune
FL2HOTT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
fly wheel no problem, probably 5-15 rwhp from 500
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
2014ssblk

Drives: black 2ss 2014

How much rwhp be from sl headers and a CAI GIVE ME ON A STOCK L99 2014 OH WITH MUFFLER DELETE? ??
2014ssblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
SilverSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2HOTT21 View Post
1) Ported LS3 cylinder heads - Scorpion LS17 Rocker Arms
2)Camshaft
3)LT Headers (No Cats)
4)Cold Air Intake
5)Performance Clutch
6)Performance Tune
yes you can.
lethal performance just did a 1le with night fury cam, roto fab cai, headers, and dyno tune and made 500rwhp without heads. so if you do heads and get a cam spec'd for your goal its possible.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS1LE View Post
yes you can.
lethal performance just did a 1le with night fury cam, roto fab cai, headers, and dyno tune and made 500rwhp without heads. so if you do heads and get a cam spec'd for your goal its possible.
It will also depend what kind of dyno is being used. Some are more HP friendly than others. It should just be used as a tuning tool but people get hung up on 500 too much Bc its a nice round even number.

To answer your question yes it's possible. Not super easy but possible.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
It will also depend what kind of dyno is being used. Some are more HP friendly than others. It should just be used as a tuning tool but people get hung up on 500 too much Bc its a nice round even number.

To answer your question yes it's possible. Not super easy but possible.
X2
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
No

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes and you can do it without the clutch, the porting of the heads and different rocker arms, Read my signature. The right aggressive cam is everything along with the right tune and a good free flowing exhaust. I did pick their best at TSP, got the best tuner around and have electric power steering and dual mode, and BTW my car is a friggin beast when I use my mild to wild switch especially radical sounding on take off like people move over............ and everyone at my work knows when I leave and they are far far away surrounded by concrete..... you will need to remap the fuel tables to avoid ever going lean, and ditch torque management, and well have the best tuner around who knows WTF he is doing in a computer program and have him with a ton of experience and a library of all his past tunes for like engines to base his experience on..mine just happened to have two electrical engineering degrees but really a tuner can be a mechanic if he knows computers well and dyno tuning etc...... And yes my tuner drove the car, if he did not I would be pissed.... here is my car down the list at Wongs called marks car...I made 491 rwhp before I swapped the throttle body and the pulley to a 25% udp so I should be right around 500 rwhp and I am on a honest more reliable Mustang dyno which is usually very conservative compared to dyojet dynos as they are different big time.

And yes I am still waiting for Vararam to make a good intake so I can get even more N/A h.p. and torque without doing our great flowing heads or worrying about trunions which were mainly just a problem on the first year of the ls7 or changing from the stock single roller timing chain and oil pump until down the road when I check the cams springs every twenty five thousand miles..I am at about five now.... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wongs...g/115667950915
Good luck to you in your build, just because some say it cannot be done it may be they compromised on one of the most important factors....like the cam shaft, or the tune, and I went for least amount of money spent while being able to have a mech do the work and it was about five grand parts labor fluids etc...and I used driven racing oil br30 for break in twice ditching it after dyno tune then 500 milles down the road and now run ls30, and BTW most times I have seen nightfury cams dyno tuned on here with honest numbers they came out like 20 h.p. under my cam and no one posts the specs of the night fury cam on here... My cam is .639/.623 with a 112 lsa and a 235/239 duration and custom proprietary opening and closing ramps made by TSP and I dig it man. Sure bring on the haters now..... and consider the differences between the mustang and the dynojet....

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-25-2014 at 08:42 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
FL2HOTT21

Ok sounds good, I appreciate the feed back.. Also what brand would you recommend for valve train upgrade/replacement? Rockers, springs, rods etc etc..
Old 10-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Well I'm at 495 with mods below and that's with 13/4" headers on a dynojet
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
FL2HOTT21

id also add the fast intake manifold and Big Mouth TB..
Old 11-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
I wouldn't IMO
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Waste of money.

Get with Brian Tooley Racing on your valve train.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Yes and you can do it without the clutch, the porting of the heads and different rocker arms, Read my signature. The right aggressive cam is everything along with the right tune and a good free flowing exhaust. I did pick their best at TSP, got the best tuner around and have electric power steering and dual mode, and BTW my car is a friggin beast when I use my mild to wild switch especially radical sounding on take off like people move over............ and everyone at my work knows when I leave and they are far far away surrounded by concrete..... you will need to remap the fuel tables to avoid ever going lean, and ditch torque management, and well have the best tuner around who knows WTF he is doing in a computer program and have him with a ton of experience and a library of all his past tunes for like engines to base his experience on..mine just happened to have two electrical engineering degrees but really a tuner can be a mechanic if he knows computers well and dyno tuning etc...... And yes my tuner drove the car, if he did not I would be pissed.... here is my car down the list at Wongs called marks car...I made 491 rwhp before I swapped the throttle body and the pulley to a 25% udp so I should be right around 500 rwhp and I am on a honest more reliable Mustang dyno which is usually very conservative compared to dyojet dynos as they are different big time.

And yes I am still waiting for Vararam to make a good intake so I can get even more N/A h.p. and torque without doing our great flowing heads or worrying about trunions which were mainly just a problem on the first year of the ls7 or changing from the stock single roller timing chain and oil pump until down the road when I check the cams springs every twenty five thousand miles..I am at about five now.... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wongs...g/115667950915
Good luck to you in your build, just because some say it cannot be done it may be they compromised on one of the most important factors....like the cam shaft, or the tune, and I went for least amount of money spent while being able to have a mech do the work and it was about five grand parts labor fluids etc...and I used driven racing oil br30 for break in twice ditching it after dyno tune then 500 milles down the road and now run ls30, and BTW most times I have seen nightfury cams dyno tuned on here with honest numbers they came out like 20 h.p. under my cam and no one posts the specs of the night fury cam on here... My cam is .639/.623 with a 112 lsa and a 235/239 duration and custom proprietary opening and closing ramps made by TSP and I dig it man. Sure bring on the haters now..... and consider the differences between the mustang and the dynojet....

Hey tried to PM you. I'm in Seattle area and had some questions about Tom Wongs spot down in Vancouver
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote