Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Exclamation FYI - Replaced brakes at 68k

Another FYI,

I replaced my brakes all around. I think the pads would have made it to 75k miles before metal hitting metal, I've replaced mine at 68 as recommended by dealer after inspection. I took pictures but they sucked. Looked like 2-3 mm of meat left.

GM does not recommend resurfacing the rotors, so expect to replace the rotors and pads. Total cost: $1800. $1200+ front, $600+ back.

I put Hawk HPS on. Solid pad.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Look at the mileage a lot of the ZL1 owners are putting on. It'll take decades to reach that many miles for most of them. Depending on usage, racing vs non, it'll be vastly different formost.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
case in point 2013 683 miles not liking this car. note to self should not bring wife when looking for a car. A6 not me drop top also not me.
Don't make an on the spot purchase next time.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
case in point 2013 683 miles not liking this car. note to self should not bring wife when looking for a car. A6 not me drop top also not me.
What does that have anything to do with this thread?
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Another FYI,

I replaced my brakes all around. I think the pads would have made it to 75k miles before metal hitting metal, I've replaced mine at 68 as recommended by dealer after inspection. I took pictures but they sucked. Looked like 2-3 mm of meat left.

GM does not recommend resurfacing the rotors, so expect to replace the rotors and pads. Total cost: $1800. $1200+ front, $600+ back.

I put Hawk HPS on. Solid pad.
??? you can but this stuff off amazon way cheaper than this.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-11...ype=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...rds=rear+rotor

here is the front and rear. I just want to post this in so other people don't get taken for a the price ride.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-11...ype=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...rds=rear+rotor

here is the front and rear. I just want to post this in so other people don't get taken for a the price ride.
Also check places like GM Parts Direct and Rock Auto for prices on stock stuff. I'm sure there are also aftermarket replacement rotors as well. DBA might make some or Racing Brakes. Wilwood and Baer might as well.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Vroom

Quote:

There is no doubt you can get them cheaper online. List for these are $574, you can get them from an online GM parts dealer for around $300 minus shipping. I paid $400 for each of the fronts and maybe $30 more then your amazon price for the backs. The pads are on par with what most people sell Hawk HPSs for. Labor was $297 for all 4 brakes.

Sure its a little more expensive, but what I get with all that is a warranty. You'll find with most online retailers, the warranty goes out the door once you've installed it and you wont find anybody who will warranty the labor if the part fails. I see a lot of people make this mistake and end up spending even more money by doubling up on the labor for replacing a bad part as well as buying a new part cause the online store blames the installer. I'd imagine something coming from Amazon LLC is probably a safer bet then most shifty online retailers though.

Also as a heads up, if you don't get a dealer to do it, you can find yourself on your own for the rest of the warrantied brake parts such as calipers, etc. All it takes is forgetting something simple like greasing the caliper. And I'm not sure if the AC-Delco part is classed as a aftermarket part or not. AC-Delco doesn't necessarily mean its the actual GM OEM part.

So be careful when you go cheap. Sometimes it's better to pay more up front to save you suffering later.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Why did you need to replace your rotors? Where they warped? Where they below minimum thickness?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Wow $1800

Glad I do my own work
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Post #2 has a point. Honestly speaking, I don't think mine will ever reach that mileage during my ownership. On the other hand, that mileage range is excellent in terms of the ZL's brake durability.

Resurfacing....hah I couldn't tell you the last time I've had rotors resurfaced!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
JackalopeZL1

It is a simple brake job, Not seeing any issues with warranty anything myself.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
KKM

Drives: xx
The faster I wear out something the more fun I have had. Bikes , cars ect.
Kevin
2013 KTM 500XCW
KKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
There is no doubt you can get them cheaper online. List for these are $574, you can get them from an online GM parts dealer for around $300 minus shipping. I paid $400 for each of the fronts and maybe $30 more then your amazon price for the backs. The pads are on par with what most people sell Hawk HPSs for. Labor was $297 for all 4 brakes.

Sure its a little more expensive, but what I get with all that is a warranty. You'll find with most online retailers, the warranty goes out the door once you've installed it and you wont find anybody who will warranty the labor if the part fails. I see a lot of people make this mistake and end up spending even more money by doubling up on the labor for replacing a bad part as well as buying a new part cause the online store blames the installer. I'd imagine something coming from Amazon LLC is probably a safer bet then most shifty online retailers though.

Also as a heads up, if you don't get a dealer to do it, you can find yourself on your own for the rest of the warrantied brake parts such as calipers, etc. All it takes is forgetting something simple like greasing the caliper. And I'm not sure if the AC-Delco part is classed as a aftermarket part or not. AC-Delco doesn't necessarily mean its the actual GM OEM part.

So be careful when you go cheap. Sometimes it's better to pay more up front to save you suffering later.
Could not disagree with you more. all you did was pay for two brake jobs in one brake job.

then again I don't my own work so by saving $800 a brake job I don't care about waranty.

I have put this setut on a 1le with CTSV bake upgrade and he has done a couple track stints and they run out fine. it is just a good way to save some coin expectially if you do use you car at the track and have to do this work more frequent.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #14
Vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Why did you need to replace your rotors? Where they warped? Where they below minimum thickness?
The rotors weren't too bad. There was some light scoring and I didn't feel or see any warping. Probably 20k left on them before they had to be replaced. I would have resurfaced them by GM says specifically to not to.

Quote:
Could not disagree with you more. all you did was pay for two brake jobs in one brake job.

then again I don't my own work so by saving $800 a brake job I don't care about waranty.

I have put this setut on a 1le with CTSV bake upgrade and he has done a couple track stints and they run out fine. it is just a good way to save some coin expectially if you do use you car at the track and have to do this work more frequent.
You're welcome to your opinion. This thread was geared towards people driving as daily drivers with occasional fun/play days as driving at the track often would obviously change the brakes wear pattern.