Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
IDriveAV6

Drives: 2012 2LS
Fire Damage Help Please

Hey everyone,

Here's a sum up and my questions. I went to the dealer today to look at another vehicle and got a trade appraisal. A month ago I was in an accident that caused $11k in repairs. On the trade in appraisal, I was only going to get 8k because CarFax had listed my vehicle had fire damage. Insurance covered all repairs.My question is does the body shop and insurance have to tell you there was fire damage? If so I was not informed. Does fire damage lead to a total ? Please help thanks guys.
IDriveAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
I read your post a few times, let me be sure I understand you.

your current car was in an accident and had damage including fire damage? when you went to get it appraised they gave you less because of the carfax saying you were in an accident?

yes, a car involved in an accident will be worth less than a "clean" title. if the damage to the car is more than about 60% of the car it gets "totaled" and if not it is repaired. Carfax is there for shady people to not scam unknowing victims.
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I think the car had fire damage previous to the recent accident, and OP was not told of this at purchase

he found out now, when the car was appraised
Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13umble13ee View Post
I read your post a few times, let me be sure I understand you.

your current car was in an accident and had damage including fire damage? when you went to get it appraised they gave you less because of the carfax saying you were in an accident?

yes, a car involved in an accident will be worth less than a "clean" title. if the damage to the car is more than about 60% of the car it gets "totaled" and if not it is repaired. Carfax is there for shady people to not scam unknowing victims.
According to carfax from the accident I had fire damage. I was never informed about this. the repairs for 11k when the vehicle was worth 17-18k
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I think the car had fire damage previous to the recent accident, and OP was not told of this at purchase

he found out now, when the car was appraised
Nope fire damage reported after the accident
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
3k is a lot however you do get a tax allowance so add in another 1k so youd be getting 9k in theory. So your missing out on 2k.

Now let me throw this to you... would you buy a car that has been in an accident with fire damage ? I know I would not. You could try and sell it privately. Deal with the wonderful people of this world coming to your residence or meeting somewhere. Then low balling you, or driving your car and never calling back, give it try see how much it is....

Now, maybe your insurance should have reviewed the report with you before submittal, I dunno about that.

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
Did you ask for a carfax or research the vin before you purchased it? they can't hide it but I am not sure if they have to tell you prior to buying. Not to sound like a jerk but you should do a thorough search of a used car before buying. That sucks you got hosed but its one of those life lessons, you live and you learn.
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
So, if I understand, you're saying that as far as you know, there was no fire damage, but Carfax is reporting fire damage associated with your accident?
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
3k is a lot however you do get a tax allowance so add in another 1k so youd be getting 9k in theory. So your missing out on 2k.

Now let me throw this to you... would you buy a car that has been in an accident with fire damage ? I know I would not. You could try and sell it privately. Deal with the wonderful people of this world coming to your residence or meeting somewhere. Then low balling you, or driving your car and never calling back, give it try see how much it is....

Now, maybe your insurance should have reviewed the report with you before submittal, I dunno about that.

I am not saying someone would want to buy it. I am asking if fire damage leads to a total loss and if it is to be disclosed by insurance and or body shop at time of repairs
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Did you ask for a carfax or research the vin before you purchased it? they can't hide it but I am not sure if they have to tell you prior to buying. Not to sound like a jerk but you should do a thorough search of a used car before buying. That sucks you got hosed but its one of those life lessons, you live and you learn.
I bought the car new dude.... Your are not understanding. I was in accident that resulted in 11k in damages. It was repaired by insurance. When getting a trade appraisal they showed me my vehicle had fire damage reported from the recent accident.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_Camaro View Post
So, if I understand, you're saying that as far as you know, there was no fire damage, but Carfax is reporting fire damage associated with your accident?
Yes thank you finally.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveAV6 View Post
I am not saying someone would want to buy it. I am asking if fire damage leads to a total loss and if it is to be disclosed by insurance and or body shop at time of repairs
If you are asking if the term... "Fire Damage" in itself would make the car totalled. I would say not at all.. It is all in the cost of the damage against the value of the car undamaged.

Does it make the car less desirable, absolutely. If you were not aware of a fire then you should verify that fact with the body shop... Not sure if or how you would get Carfax to fix the report other than the body shop making the correction in their reports. Assuming there was no fire.

PS I do not think anyone has to disclose the damage to you as far as to the specifics... The damage should be fairly obvious both in sight and 11k price tag. Should it have been totalled... Maybe, but there is no way for anyone other than the body shop and appraiser to say otherwise.

Last edited by beebumble; 06-30-2014 at 10:20 PM.
beebumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
IDriveAV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
If you are asking if the term... "Fire Damage" in itself would make the car totalled. I would say not at all.. It is all in the cost of the damage against the value of the car undamaged.

Does it make the car less desirable, absolutely. If you were not aware of a fire then you should verify that fact with the body shop... Not sure if or how you would get Carfax to fix the report other than the body shop making the correction in their reports. Assuming there was no fire.
Alright thank you. Im going to confirm it with the body shop.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
IDriveAV6

Quote:
OK! I got it now. sorry for adding to the confusion. In my mind the real question is why didn't they total it out to begin with? 11k damage on an 18k car? I would have told my insurance company to take a long walk off a short cliff cause I know my car will be tainted with a dirty title and would kill resale value. I am curious of the Insurance company?

As far as them telling you what damages they assessed I think its all in the claims process. The fact that you say the fire damage was added after the fact seems shady which brings me back to who are they?
Not a problem haha. Im just curious to if there was fire damage why was I not informed..