Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Vigilante vs Circle D vs Yank

I know that currently Circle D is the most popular, but tell me why I shouldn't go with a PI Vigilante 3200 stall T/C. I ran the same Vig 3K with a 2.45 STR (IIRC) in both my '98 LS1 Formula and my 2K Formula, which, along with GM Motive 3.73 gears, a true dual exhaust catback (13 rwhp gain) and some Roadtech suspension mods ran a PB of 12.98 at Ennis back in 2000 on a hot day and on 16 inch MT E/T streets.

Don't know when I'll be doing heads & cam, and it's not likely I'll ever do FI, but my LG Super pro full exhaust will be installed by the end of the month, and I'd like to have the T/C installed at the same time. 3.70 gears are a strong probability when the funding is available. My plan is to use MT E/T's again on 18" rims.

I only mention Yank because they were a popular competitor to PI back in the LS1 days, but I don't see much talk about them on this board. TIA for your constructive advise.

And yes, really good 60' times are very important to me.

Last edited by rich3fan; 05-09-2014 at 09:26 PM.
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Because circle D
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Well that was constructive. smh.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Well that was constructive. smh.
Relax new guy, just giving a hard time- Chris at circle D has some of the best customer service around, I probably called him 12 times because I was unsure and he took the time to direct me and teach me about converters in general instead of just sell me. My installer mentioned the quality of his product, because he had never dealt with them before and was truly impressed as well. He said yank doesn't have a converter that could touch this.

He has good judgement as well, understood what I was looking for - not to mention the circle d converters perform as is evident by the fast list
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
They all are good, but as mentioned the Circle Ds probably 60 ft the hardest of them all.

Id go with the 1E circle D converter, it will keep the rpms in the sweet spot up top, flash high enough to 60 from hell and its built better than most any street/strip converter today. Its a beast.

I came from a yank to a circle d BTW
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Relax new guy, just giving a hard time- Chris at circle D has some of the best customer service around, I probably called him 12 times because I was unsure and he took the time to direct me and teach me about converters in general instead of just sell me. My installer mentioned the quality of his product, because he had never dealt with them before and was truly impressed as well. He said yank doesn't have a converter that could touch this.

He has good judgement as well, understood what I was looking for - not to mention the circle d converters perform as is evident by the fast list
Lol! "New guy". How old were you in 1998?

Thanks Rhino79. BTW, I'm not far from GPI. Martin could give me directions.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Lol! "New guy". How old were you in 1998?

Anybody else?
If you are asking advice you are clearly new at something, just like everyone else, I am a complete noob compared to Rhino, but I have been through the process of choosing - isn't that what you were asking? Don't stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred because I made a joke about circle D along the lines of "because race car"
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
If you are asking advice you are clearly new at something, just like everyone else, I am a complete noob compared to Rhino, but I have been through the process of choosing - isn't that what you were asking? Don't stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred because I made a joke about circle D along the lines of "because race car"
Kyle what CDS converter did you get and how do you like it?
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Kyle what CDS converter did you get and how do you like it?
The 1E, after driving it I now know that I had never truly lived haha. It is perfect for me - just waiting on that handheld from you to tweak it - hitting the track next weekend.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Quote:
Umm... the "new guy" remark wasn't constructive was it? If you read my entire post you would've known that I've been in the game since 1998. Message boards are for people, whether they're new OR experienced to ask questions right? I'm NOT a noob at torque converters, I did the research a long time ago, and I was simply asking for people to convince me to buy a Circle D vs a Vigilante. My Vig served me very well sir. Sound good?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Umm... the "new guy" remark wasn't constructive was it? If you read my entire post you would've known that I've been in the game since 1998. Message boards are for people, whether they're new OR experienced to ask questions right? I'm NOT a noob at torque converters, I did the research a long time ago, and I was simply asking for people to convince me to buy a Circle D vs a Vigilante. My Vig served me very well sir. Sound good?
Fair enough, sorry for that - now read what Ryan and I wrote about circle D lol - they are actually a great converter

P.S. Feel free to give me a hard time too!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
rich3fan
What's this button do?

What is usual on message boards is this: Somebody posts about good experiences with this mod or that, and everyone suddenly jumps on the bandwagon. Next thing you know, the potential better performers get buried, whether justified or not.

I'd really like to hear from the Vigilante crowd just the same.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
What is usual on message boards is this: Somebody posts about good experiences with this mod or that, and everyone suddenly jumps on the bandwagon. Next thing you know, the potential better performers get buried, whether justified or not.

I'd really like to hear from the Vigilante crowd just the same.
Yeah, that is a good point...objectively they are both well made converters, besides anecdotes from individual members the only other thing I would recommend is checking out what some of the fast list cars run.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
I've had them both. Car 60'd in the 1.5's with both. It came down to customer service for me and Precision's is eh. I run a Circle D, Chris knows his stuff and returns emails!
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags