Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
TCRN

Drives: 2007 Chevy Aveo LT
Question Questions before I purchase

Hello! I am super excited to purchase my very first Camaro SS later this month! I have always loved the Camaro since I was a little girl and I literally cried (yes, actual sobbing tears) when they stopped production in 2002 as I feared I would never get to own a brand new Camaro. Well the time has finally arrived where I am able to purchase a brand new Camaro and it can't come soon enough!!!

Okay, so my questions:

Anyone ever have problems with the dual Indy stripes chipping or cracking easily? That is a must have for my car and I am worried it'll chip easily.

How easy is the tonneau cover to put on and take off?

I'm interested in the dual-mode performance exhaust but I see that only comes with manual transmission and I will be getting the automatic transmission. My dad does exhaust systems and said he can give me the exhaust I want but is asking if I can get my hands on a picture of the SS with automatic transmission and factory exhaust. Anyone out there have this and can post a pic for us?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I've been reading the forums and am learning so much from all of you. Can't wait to join you all as a Camaro owner!
TCRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
DocMartens

Drives: '14 1SS/RS LS3
I would get the 1LE, regret not getting one. Putting an aftermarket exhaust on a L99 with the AFM would probably require a tune which may void your warranty. If you don't get it tuned, I have heard you can hear the AFM which sounds like crap.

2 cents
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMartens View Post
I would get the 1LE, regret not getting one. Putting an aftermarket exhaust on a L99 with the AFM would probably require a tune which may void your warranty. If you don't get it tuned, I have heard you can hear the AFM which sounds like crap.

2 cents
You really think just the NPP would sound funny? I don't know so I'm asking. I guess that might explain why it's not available with the L99.

OP, good luck to you. I'm glad you'll be able to fulfill this dream. As soon as you get your car be sure and share some pictures with us.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
DocMartens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
You really think just the NPP would sound funny? I don't know so I'm asking. I guess that might explain why it's not available with the L99.

OP, good luck to you. I'm glad you'll be able to fulfill this dream. As soon as you get your car be sure and share some pictures with us.
I have heard an aftermarket exhaust on a L99 without a tune amplifies the sound of the AFM. I had a 2013 L99 2SS vert and traded it for a 14 1SS LS3 for more HP, I like manual and I could get the NPP. The vert was pretty though, just a preference.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
SSweetride

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
The rally stripes are vinyl and wont crack or chip with normal care. So go ahead and get 'em!

Post pics when you get her home!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
The tonneau cover takes 2-3 minutes to put on once you done it a few times. Not bad, but most people don't bother with it, since you really shouldn't leave the top down for long periods. That means you will be taking it off again fairly soon. Also, I keep mine in the storage bag and it takes time to deal with the bag.

I only use mine when I REALLY want to show off the car. It looks SO nice with it on.
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I may be able to help you as well.
I use the tonneau cover for trips longer than aprox 5 miles, I dont like seeing the top fluttering around in the wind, plust it makes the car look really nice, and I have it down to under just a minute to put it on, it really isn't that hard to put on.

I drive a V6 and have the dual mode exhaust, yes its an automatic as well, I just LOVE the exhaust.....gonna pull the fuse though so I dont have to wait till it is 3000 RPM for the exhaust to kick on.

Congrats on your car and take a visit to the convertible section so you can learn more about your beautiful vert
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
frogfish

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels 2SS #125
Yes get the rally stripes! Do not let the dealer detail your car or put the front plate bracket on it. Take it directly to a professional detail shop and get Opti-coat or a similar product applied. Your stripes and new Camaro will be much better protected. You will love your new ride!!
frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Putting an aftermarket exhaust on a L99 with the AFM would probably require a tune which may void your warranty. If you don't get it tuned, I have heard you can hear the AFM which sounds like crap.
Once again... the Range device ($200) completely deactivates AFM and does not void warranty. Many of the L99 owners on this forum (including myself) use it and are totally satisfied with the results.

There has been extensive discussion and testing of the Range device, here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=Range
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
DocMartens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Once again... the Range device ($200) completely deactivates AFM and does not void warranty. Many of the L99 owners on this forum (including myself) use it and are totally satisfied with the results.

There has been extensive discussion and testing of the Range device, here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=Range
Thats cool. I was not aware of that and could of used that on my 13 L99 vert before I sold it.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

I just bought a borla atak catback for my l99 and got the range afm disabler. Sounds good and no problems whats so ever.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Avgas

Drives: 2011 SS
I have an L99 and just installed the Range AFM delete today. This seems to work very well and the warranty on the car is not void.
I have the Flowmaster American thunder cat back exhaust and it sounds nice.

I also have the dual Indy stripes and they are fine. get them!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
alexbarabas

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS
I've kept multiple cars w/ vinyl stripes garaged and well detailed with wax and 303 - never a problem with vinyl cracking. If you're keeping it outside, invest in a car cover (and only put it on when the car is clean). I won't live at a place where I can't park inside. I can't think of anything on a car that wouldn't degrade from UV and heat. Learn to detail or have the $ for someone to do it frequently, especially during summer months. I'd be more worried about the paint fading than the stripes cracking.

Detailing and taking care of a car is a technical skill and an art that will pay you back in the future with a like-new car and $$ when you choose to resell or trade.

PS: Also, learn to drive stick
alexbarabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
An auto and a stick are not that different in the 1/4..

Quote:
Thats cool. I was not aware of that and could of used that on my 13 L99 vert before I sold it.
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote