Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
PICS: Pfadt lowering alignment issue or something else?

First of all...I LOVE my Pfadt springs and in no way trying to discredit them. This is VERY LIKELY a GM issue or only an issue when ANY lowering springs are applied to a Camaro/1LE.

So....I have 12,100 miles on my front tires but they are wearing out ONLY on the outside of the tires. For an upcoming track day Sat I wanted to put on some lightly used 1LE OEM tires (I replaced my OEM rears for wider tires) and had an alignment done.
THIS is the alignment spec sheet. The top is when I went in...bottom is after the alignment:

As you can see, the main issue is with the Right Front (RF) and Rear. The RR was adjusted to the middle of the parameters but the RF could not be adjusted to within specs.
After further troubleshooting...the tech came up with THIS:

Apparently the fix is to file, drill or somehow make the hole oblong to be able to adjust within specs.

It's possible that multiple variances in the rest of the suspension that are off or need adjusting...are causing this.....but I'm not sure I could troubleshoot that deep. This adjusting the hole might be the easiest route and I'm told it's fairly common when dialing in suspensions for aggressive cars.

Here are a couple pics of the tire(s) I took off.....and the OEM ones I put back on with maybe 3-4K miles on em:

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
That's actually normal on these tires. The outer portion has less depth to the grooves to strengthen the tread blocks. So basically they become a slick on the outside very quickly. Go off the center section for tread wear.

It does look like you could use more camber in the front. Do you plan on tracking the car more than this once?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
That's actually normal on these tires. The outer portion has less depth to the grooves to strengthen the tread blocks. So basically they become a slick on the outside very quickly. Go off the center section for tread wear.

It does look like you could use more camber in the front. Do you plan on tracking the car more than this once?
I wouldn't think THIS much wear outside is "normal". TONS of inside wear and BALD on the outside seems "normal" as the spec sheet says it's out of tolerance. He couldn't adjust further so at least he showed me a possible "fix"

yes but I deploy in Feb so wont be back til Sep 14. I wouldn't think THIS much wear outside is "normal". TONS of inside wear and BALD on the outside seems "normal" as the spec sheet says it's out of tolerance. He couldn't adjust further so at leat he showed me a possible "fix"
Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I wouldn't think THIS much wear outside is "normal". TONS of inside wear and BALD on the outside seems "normal" as the spec sheet says it's out of tolerance. He couldn't adjust further so at least he showed me a possible "fix"

yes but I deploy in Feb so wont be back til Sep 14. I wouldn't think THIS much wear outside is "normal". TONS of inside wear and BALD on the outside seems "normal" as the spec sheet says it's out of tolerance. He couldn't adjust further so at leat he showed me a possible "fix"
now that i have a better look on the computer, yeah you dont have enough camber. (I thought it said -1.4 and -1.1 on my phone) stock should be like -1 in the fronts and -.75 in the rears. (take a look at the alignment thread in the chassis section for track alignments.)

How much lower do you have it? because it should have adjusted back to tolerance, or at least a lot closer than what you have currently. I think theirs ways around this besides slotting the holes though.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
now that i have a better look on the computer, yeah you dont have enough camber. (I thought it said -1.4 and -1.1 on my phone) stock should be like -1 in the fronts and -.75 in the rears. (take a look at the alignment thread in the chassis section for track alignments.)

How much lower do you have it? because it should have adjusted back to tolerance, or at least a lot closer than what you have currently. I think theirs ways around this besides slotting the holes though.
The Pfadts are advertised as 1.0 - 1.25"
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
To me that doesn't seem normal wear. Looking at your specs though, it doesn't seem like the front right tire is off that much to eat up the outside of the tire that quick. Might want to bring it to another shop for them to take a look at it.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

I think I would find a different shop, I havent heard of people having too much problems with a 1" drop. Are you going stock on your alignment or are you tring to get something more agressive?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
To me that doesn't seem normal wear. Looking at your specs though, it doesn't seem like the front right tire is off that much to eat up the outside of the tire that quick. Might want to bring it to another shop for them to take a look at it.
Quote:
I think I would find a different shop, I havent heard of people having too much problems with a 1" drop. Are you going stock on your alignment or are you tring to get something more agressive?
I took it directly to GM.....the springs are installed properly and the alignment machine very likely isnt "lying".

Slightly more aggressive than stock
Old 11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
added weight of that blower

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
When the car is lowered, the tires tend to point in at the top, to the center of the car. An alignment should correct the camber and toe in. No adjustment for caster. MFG should give you alignment specs with their springs.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I took it directly to GM.....the springs are installed properly and the alignment machine very likely isnt "lying".

Slightly more aggressive than stock
Hmm... well, I would think that the adjustments for the front camber is already like what the technician is suggesting to do (slot the hole) I would think it was the top hole that is slotted though and not the bottom. Did he say he needed to slot it even further?

Do you know if the rears are maxed out? They should be with how much your lowered.

Something isnt adding up right.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

I didnt ask all the right questions...we talked for a few min but said I'd have to get online and research a bit more.
When I had my original alignment done....upon lowering spring installation....and I was TOLD he set it up for a "performance street" alignment. Obviously it settled and over the last 11-ish months... and it just didnt work out.
Maybe I should have run the car for about 10 days to let the system settle before an alignment. I'm not sure if the top was maxed out but I'm sure if there was room there...he would have adjusted to help the bottom out.
hmmm :(
Old 11-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
White_SS/RS

post your issue in the suspension/brakes/chassis section. Theres lots of knowlegble people there that could probably help better
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
post your issue in the suspension/brakes/chassis section. Theres lots of knowlegble people there that could probably help better
Didnt know if it was a 1LE specific thing or not so just posted here. I'll keep it here for now as I don't like the idea of posting the identical thread in different spots.....redundant.

Mods can you move to suspension/brakes/chassis section please?