The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Mustang people.

So I had the opportunity to enter my first car show this past weekend and had an awesome experience (besides the sunburn). When I pulled up, though, I was the only late model Camaro there and I was instructed by the staff to park next to a row of five 'Stangs. I got out and introduced myself and they turned out to be really awesome people! Super friendly and very interested in my ride.

However, I did notice something that I wondered if any of you had experienced: egregiously overestimated rear wheel horsepower! A v6 guy who was bone stock and still had his temporary paper license plate from the dealer claimed he had 350rwhp. He claimed this right after I estimated that my 6 shooter was getting 270-280ish when my little spray bottle is off. I kinda wondered if they thought I was stupid! Anybody else ever experience this nonsense?

Again they couldn't have been a nicer group of folks, taking in a lonely Camaro as one of their own and all.

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 10-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Maybe he's just dopey. He does own a Mustang, right?
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Met those types before that claim their rwhp is way higher than it is. One guy tried to claim his 4.0L, which came stock with 210 HP bhp, dyno'd at over 320 rwhp with just a CAI and could smoke 2010 SS's. Thankfully the majority of people you meet at car shows are not like that.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
Maybe he's just dopey. He does own a Mustang, right?

That was a solid assumption, but, the other mustang owners (GT's included) all nodded along like it was a fact.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
I rest my case.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
It's common when they have Camarophobia!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I think there are a fair amount of owners that think the factory-advertised horsepower IS RWHP. I really think it's just a case of them misunderstanding the difference. At least that's what I've seen through my experiences.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I think there are a fair amount of owners that think the factory-advertised horsepower IS RWHP. I really think it's just a case of them misunderstanding the difference. At least that's what I've seen through my experiences.
+1

OP- Don't forget that also the others could have just been agreeing to be polite. Unlike online forums where everyone will correct you and argue a point or prove someone wrong, usually in the real world we just nod and smile when someone says something wrong

Fact is many people just don't know what they are talking about, or they were given bad information. Same with how a lot of Chevy guys refer to almost every V8 they see as a "350" when in fact many of them are not. I hear that one all the time.

Sounds like you had a good show, and its always nice to hear when a group of auto enthusiast can respect and appreciate the vehicles of others, regardless whether they have a bowtie or a blue oval on the front
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
2SS2010

Drives: 2010 2 SS
I wouldn't knock all the Mustang guys, I used to be a Mustang guy. I've owned 12 since I recieved my license and yes a majority of them are egotistical assholes that feel there " bolt on rocket ships " are far superior to your built and blown 700hp 2V ( my 2001 gt ) I bought a Camaro to try something different and didn't care for any of the transmission options in the new mustang. I never cared much for the Camaro but again owning and Mustang I never bashed it. I test drove a 2012 1 SS and I loved the package as a whole. Now I own a 2010 2SS and I absolutely love the car.
2SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I would say the GT owners would be polite. At car shows, half of the dudes there are mistaken about one thing or another and most ppl just nod, and dont make the dude look like an idiot by correcting him.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
......and the dealer got him to buy....
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
+1

OP- Don't forget that also the others could have just been agreeing to be polite. Unlike online forums where everyone will correct you and argue a point or prove someone wrong, usually in the real world we just nod and smile when someone says something wrong

Fact is many people just don't know what they are talking about, or they were given bad information. Same with how a lot of Chevy guys refer to almost every V8 they see as a "350" when in fact many of them are not. I hear that one all the time.

Sounds like you had a good show, and its always nice to hear when a group of auto enthusiast can respect and appreciate the vehicles of others, regardless whether they have a bowtie or a blue oval on the front
I agree with this. And it isn't just the Mustang owners that are often misled either. There are some 5th Gen Camaro owners who are just as ignorant about their vehicles. It isn't solely a Mustang thing. Look at all the wrong information people spread on this forum in one day. Mustang owners...Camaro owners...we're all wrong about something at sometime...even if it something obvious.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
lets give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he thought he had a v8 and was just a deaf and blind guy? i'm going out on a limb here
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I agree with this. And it isn't just the Mustang owners that are often misled either. There are some 5th Gen Camaro owners who are just as ignorant about their vehicles. It isn't solely a Mustang thing. Look at all the wrong information people spread on this forum in one day. Mustang owners...Camaro owners...we're all wrong about something at sometime...even if it something obvious.
if you look in any group of people you will find idiots. stupid doesn't discriminate.
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote