The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions General topics on the Corvette C7 Stingray.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
AFM...Auto/Manual...On or Off?

As I understand it, the LT1 in the Corvette will have AFM (cylinder de-activation) in the auto trans, and (new for this year) in the manual trans as well...

...Was wondering if a driver choice on/off "switch" of some type is going to be on the car that would keep engine in full V-8 mode...Thanks...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,641
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
A few sources speculate that putting the car in certain driving modes like Track will reduce how often AFM kicks in.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,244
Or completely disable(?) AFM in Track Mode... time will tell.
__________________
My pair of rivals and a Z51...

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
volsfan0911
 
Drives: '10 GTI for now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 194
I believe I've read somewhere that Track will completely disable AFM. CAGS remains another story? I'd expect someone will come up with a hack in relatively short order for both the skip-shift and cylinder de-activation if desired. In one of his interviews, Tadge notes that a torque converter automatic transmission played really well with AFM. Or something to that effect.

If it really is as transparent as they claim, I'm fine with the system in Eco mode or Wimp mode or whatever they want to call it. 26 average mpg doesn't like a bad deal as long as all the ponies are available IMMEDIATELY if in Sport or Track mode.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
CAGS may actually be disabled if Track mode if a true Track mode.

I believe it has to meet a set of parameters, RPM, speed, gear, etc... to engage. Take the gas mileage the drone won't be bad when you're at 1500 RPM's in 7th gear at 70MPH.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
volsfan0911
 
Drives: '10 GTI for now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
CAGS may actually be disabled if Track mode if a true Track mode.

I believe it has to meet a set of parameters, RPM, speed, gear, etc... to engage. Take the gas mileage the drone won't be bad when you're at 1500 RPM's in 7th gear at 70MPH.
shouldn't be any at all. Even on the "base" non-NPP exhaust there is a primary butterfly valve in front of the mufflers which serves to cancel out V-4 drone when the motor is running in AFM mode. We'll see how it sounds though. And honestly? I never drive that slow in my GTI on the interstate typically. Sure as hell don't see myself doing 70 in my C7 much. Either slower if I'm in traffic or there's law enforcement around or a little faster
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

 
Tampa Tuning's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 2,504
Once we crack the code to the ECM, as many guys in the corvette world will want that off like the Camaro guys. It will be more interesting how its done in the manual mode.
Phil
Tampa Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
volsfan0911
 
Drives: '10 GTI for now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Once we crack the code to the ECM, as many guys in the corvette world will want that off like the Camaro guys. It will be more interesting how its done in the manual mode.
Phil
it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the aftermarket community to break it. 5 minutes? OK, probably a little longer. But it'll happen pretty quickly I'm betting..........
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
WesC5
 
Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St Jacob, IL (MetroEast area)
Posts: 47
CAGS....ugh.... Pain in the arse....especially in heavy stop and go traffic.
WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
JR-Vette
 
JR-Vette's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the aftermarket community to break it. 5 minutes? OK, probably a little longer. But it'll happen pretty quickly I'm betting..........
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.
JR-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Once we crack the code to the ECM, as many guys in the corvette world will want that off like the Camaro guys. It will be more interesting how its done in the manual mode.
Phil
Why would it be any different than the Camaro in manual mode?
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Why would it be any different than the Camaro in manual mode?
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...
Ahhh gotcha..
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
volsfan0911
 
Drives: '10 GTI for now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.
went and did some research - you're absolutely correct. Well, I wasn't planning on any immediate mods anyway (other than hopefully being able to defeat CAGS) so that's a good thing.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,244
Under AFM column, it reads as.... "AFM is utilized or disabled at the driver's discretion."
Attached Images
 
__________________
My pair of rivals and a Z51...

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
bolteon593

 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern california
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...
the man speaks the truth!


you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,244
AFM... user controlled.

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
__________________
My pair of rivals and a Z51...

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
shockandawe

 
Drives: 2006 LeMans Blue C6 Vette
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,300
I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.
Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS.
__________________
My pair of rivals and a Z51...

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
AFM... user controlled.

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...
I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!
__________________
My pair of rivals and a Z51...

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,641
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.
Thanks for the replies....As I'm not that familiar with 'Vettes, just curious..if you don't mind...Are these "Modes" something Vette has always had?....Are they new/different due to the LT-1?...

And...Fen, any chance we will see these AFM options/modes similar in the 6thGen Camaros?...Thanks....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,641
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It's possible. I really don't know much about the 6th gen at this point.

Corvette's always had drive modes but this is probably the most sophisticated system so far.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS.
This.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.