Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Where can I get the spare tire kit for my 2SS?

A few months ago, I was reading through the forums and was strongly considering buying one of the spare tire/wheel/spacer kits that were being sold on Ebay. Now that I'm ready to buy one (as in, have the cash available) I cannot find them on Ebay.

Does anyone know where I can purchase one of the Ebay kits, or at least something that's just as functional? It has to fit over my Brembo's, and fit in the spare tire well of my trunk. I really need a spare tire for my car, but I can't give up the trunk space to have a full-sized one banging around in my trunk. I don't know if the guy on Ebay that was selling them is on this site (if so, someone please let me know who so I can PM him or her), or if someone on this site can help me get all of the same stuff. I can get the jack and tool kit easily, but I need help to figure out what size tire and wheel to get, and what size spacer I need.

If anyone knows where to get the kit, or knows what size tire/wheel setup and what size spacer to get, please let me know. I can't stand the thought of getting stranded somewhere with either a blowout or a bad puncture or something, and not have a spare.

Please help me out with this.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I googled camaro spare tire and immediately got the ebay link.

http://parts.motors.ebay.com/tires?r...p_id=772783216

But, I think this solution sucks, because the tire is much smaller in diameter than the real thing and with a posi rear end, needs to be used on the front. So, if your rear goes flat, you have to move the original front to the rear and then put the tiny tire on the front.

So, I have a full size front in my trunk. It doesn't bang around because it is strapped down using the steel loops that are there to secure the full size wheel after being replaced by a spare (feature is intended for the LS and LT, but works just fine for an SS wheel.

Do you really need the trunk space? If so, get the ebay kit. Otherwise, get a wheel/tire from tirerack.com, a strap, lug wrench, and scissor jack from Autozone, and you are all set. With a full size spare, you can be on your way at full speed with no worries.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I feel like an idiot, now, I swear that didn't come up when I searched Ebay earlier. Thanks for the link, though. Maybe I had some sort of brain-fart and typed something in wrong and so it didn't come up, I don't know. It's been a long week at work.

Anyway, I definitely hear what you're saying about going with a full-size over the compact spare, but I just don't think that's for me. I know Murphy's Law and all that, and I want a spare to be prepared in case I get a flat, I just don't plan on having a flat so much so that I'm willing to forgo the trunk space for a full-size tire. If I DO get a flat, I'll just suck it up, throw the donut on (and swap front to rear if necessary due to the posi-trac). I guess, I want the spare so I'm not stranded, but I'm not going to burden myself with the loss of trunk space all the time, I'll take the burden of messing with the donut for that (hopefully) one time, if ever, that I actually DO need to put on the spare.

To each his own, though, and I definitely can't fault you for going with a full-size spare. I just don't think I'd be willing to put up with the inconvenience of losing most of my trunk space, all the time, when I can deal with the inconvenience of swapping tires or whatever in that one instance I may have to. You know what I mean?

Anyway, thanks for shooting me the link. I can't figure out why I couldn't find it earlier.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I googled camaro spare tire and immediately got the ebay link.

http://parts.motors.ebay.com/tires?r...p_id=772783216

But, I think this solution sucks, because the tire is much smaller in diameter than the real thing and with a posi rear end, needs to be used on the front. So, if your rear goes flat, you have to move the original front to the rear and then put the tiny tire on the front.

So, I have a full size front in my trunk. It doesn't bang around because it is strapped down using the steel loops that are there to secure the full size wheel after being replaced by a spare (feature is intended for the LS and LT, but works just fine for an SS wheel.

Do you really need the trunk space? If so, get the ebay kit. Otherwise, get a wheel/tire from tirerack.com, a strap, lug wrench, and scissor jack from Autozone, and you are all set. With a full size spare, you can be on your way at full speed with no worries.
that's what I did.Full size spare and jack from Harbor Freight. Also went this route because down the road when I need new tires Iam going to go to a 305 and then I'll just put a different tire on the spare that has the same circumference as the 305. No swapping front to back or relying on the spacer... I thought about it for a long time and almost went with the doughnut. But Iam with you ..I don't need all the trunk space and if needed I'll use the back seat. I bought 2 front SS midnite rims and using 1 for spare.. So I selling the other one on here.
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote