Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Angry Two GM dealers: we will not cover your miscolored halo light under warranty

So it may be pretty much final as far as I can see. After two visits to a dealer in Winston-Salem and two visits to the dealer where I purchased the car from in Greensboro, GM will not cover my miscolored halo light on the drivers side. As some may know, my halo ring on the driver's side has gradually become whitish-yellow, like a halogen, while the one on the right has remained the xenon color (purplish-blue/white). It is pretty obvious to anyone, even in the daylight, but especially in the dark that one is off color. My last dealer I went to (where I purchased the car) said they were really trying to get GM to pay for it and of course, they want the warranty work. So finally I left the car with them last friday for a day and at the end of the day, the consensus was that it would not be covered under warranty since it is a functioning light.

Evidently there were people on the forum who have had them replaced under warranty for the same issue at other dealers across the nation, so of course I tell the dealers this and they basically said that they shouldn't have been replaced and that 'some people don't do the right thing'.

i looked into the replacement cost and hold on to your asses-- $808 to replace the whole headlamp assembly PLUS labor, which involves removing the whole bumper evidently, so would be in the neighborhood of $1000 for a freakin headlamp. What a rip-off. the days of simply replacing a bulb are long gone.

So I'm not going to pay that, it's ridiculous. so i'll just be the guy in the Camaro with the off-white halo winking at you coming down the road. I don't know why GM couldn't have made it where you could replace the halo light ring on its own for much less cost to the consumer.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 11-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
You can buy aftermarket kits for WAY less and that's for both of them.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Has anyone else on here had them replaced under warranty? So much for bumper to bumper warranty. This kind of thing really bites my ass.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
You can buy aftermarket kits for WAY less and that's for both of them.
i may be talking to you down the road if you have any info on aftermarket kits
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
unbelievable. I remember their is a number you can call to go above the dealership and get help from GM direct. How can GM expect you to drive around with multi-colored lights? Hope it works out in the long run.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
i may be talking to you down the road if you have any info on aftermarket kits
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Here is a member who has had them put in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106512
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Ask the dealer you bought the car from if they'd like you to purchase another vehicle there. And if yes, tell them it will depend on how this situation is handled.

Replace defective part, submit warranty claim, warranty system pays claim. If they claim they are "trying to get GM to pay for it" they are blowing smoke up your ass. They don't need to - ask or try to get GM to pay, if the car has a defect, just do the work and submit the warranty claim. Back when I worked at a dealer as a tech the only thing that needed any form of pre-approval was a complete engine or transmission replacement. The rest of the warranty work, if it's a legit defect, you do the work and submit the claim. It's an automated system that pays the claim, no human involvement saying - no we are not going to warranty that headlight.

For whatever reason they don't want to do the work and are feeding you a line of B.S. that GM won't warranty it. I'd call the 800 # in your owner's manual and ask for their help in resolving.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Ask the dealer you bought the car from if they'd like you to purchase another vehicle there. And if yes, tell them it will depend on how this situation is handled.

Replace defective part, submit warranty claim, warranty system pays claim. If they claim they are "trying to get GM to pay for it" they are blowing smoke up your ass. They don't need to - ask or try to get GM to pay, if the car has a defect, just do the work and submit the warranty claim. Back when I worked at a dealer as a tech the only thing that needed any form of pre-approval was a complete engine or transmission replacement. The rest of the warranty work, if it's a legit defect, you do the work and submit the claim. It's an automated system that pays the claim, no human involvement saying - no we are not going to warranty that headlight.

For whatever reason they don't want to do the work and are feeding you a line of B.S. that GM won't warranty it. I'd call the 800 # in your owner's manual and ask for their help in resolving.
True.

But, if a part # is "flagged", they'll have to send it back. If it tests "good", GM will charge the dealer back. As a service manager for Chevy/Pontiac, I saw it more than once.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
True.

But, if a part # is "flagged", they'll have to send it back. If it tests "good", GM will charge the dealer back. As a service manager for Chevy/Pontiac, I saw it more than once.
Also if a part is over "x" amont of dollars I think they also have to ask the RSM and most of the time the RSM is trying to save a buck so he can make his bonus.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Also if a part is over "x" amont of dollars I think they also have to ask the RSM and most of the time the RSM is trying to save a buck so he can make his bonus.
Yep-absolutely true. My guess is these HID headlamp assemblys are watched pretty closely.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
that is a load of crap. if I received that sort of treatment I would ensure GM that this is the last car I'd ever purchase from them if this is how they handle their faulty equipment under warranty claims.

time to take it higher then the dealerships and contact GM directly with a little rage behind you. it's no longer sheerly for a new headlight, it's also about the time they are making you waste to get something trivial taken care of. squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
So unplug the wiring to the Halo, hook up 110volts to the halo ring, let it fry then get it submitted.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
So unplug the wiring to the Halo, hook up 110volts to the halo ring, let it fry then get it submitted.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
True.

Not necessarily. There is such a thing as cosmetic defects. Warranty parts don't just go through pass/fail testing. A good service writer will have well documented 3C's on the RO clearly explaining the defect. If it's questionable, throw in a "For Customer Satisfaction .... along with the - replaced left headlamp due to a cosmetic discoloration defect..." and I'd bet that warranty claim is golden.

This situation sounds like a legit defect to me. A good dealer will just handle it, no drama or excuses, just handle it. If they don't, call the 800 # in your owner's manual and raise a little hell until they do handle it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote